Kids bikes - hard tail versus soft tail?

Sept. 6, 2014, 4:16 p.m.

Lots of kids 24 inch mtb bikes are now coming out in dual suspension.
However, I was just talking to a good friend who is a bike coach in Whistler and he told me not to buy one.

The age old mantra that better riders come from hard-tails, and grow up riding flats.
So?

What do people think? Happy to save a lot of money and not throw down on a dually.
Oh, and this would be the little gaffers everything bike (i.e. not just for park).

Thanks

Sept. 6, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

i think its the french who have a longstanding national mountain biking program, where elite groms coming up have to compete in everything - four cross, enduro, hd and xc - and they have to do it all on a hardtail. look at how dominant they've been in enduro - nico, acc, barrel, lau, clemetz - and it suggests they're on to something: riding a hardtail makes you a better all around rider

that said, for the majority of riders, a dually is more fun. if your kid is a total keener it may not matter - but if they're on the fence, or feel like they're often being thrown in over their head (can happen a lot around here) then a dually, which offers more control and comfort, could make the activity that much more appealing. definitely the case for my wife

my son is an avid rider, and i would prefer to have him learn on a hardtail and would definitely appreciate having to spend less on a bike he could outgrow in a season or two. but these new am rippers from norco and transition are mighty appealing…

isn't your guy still a bit little for a 24" wheeled bike though?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 6, 2014, 4:31 p.m.

i think its the french who have a longstanding national mountain biking program, where elite groms coming up have to compete in everything - four cross, enduro, hd and xc - and they have to do it all on a hardtail. look at how dominant they've been in enduro - nico, acc, barrel, lau, clemetz - and it suggests they're on to something: riding a hardtail makes you a better all around rider

Boom, there is nothing really surprising in that. It is like making your kid participate in multiple sports till they are say 16 even though they are better at one. Specialization shouldn't start at a competitive level till about 19. Avoids burn out and the kids losing interest in the sport. Which I see a lot these days.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 6, 2014, 8:36 p.m.

Oh, and this would be the little gaffers everything bike (i.e. not just for park).

Define everything.

My buddy bought Morgan's old Freerided out Chromag Monk and has never enjoyed biking so much. He's had a dually in his garage for years that he would sometimes struggle to get up local hills, and sometimes bring to a bike park to destroy, but it never really saw that much use.
Now he joins me from everything to all mountain rides, to ripping around the BMX track after dinner. He started riding around on the street a lot more too, like to his girlfriends house. His 3C Minions didn't like that much though and he's since restored his dad's old road bike for the longer commutes.
His fully makes it to the park more now too.

The hardtail keeps more options open and might make riding bikes as a whole more enjoyable. The fully will make mountain biking easier (possibly more enjoyable), but everything else might not be quite as good depending on what he likes to do (maybe he's a roadie at heart).

Sept. 7, 2014, 7:21 a.m.

Lots of kids 24 inch mtb bikes are now coming out in dual suspension.

Define "lots"… Kona still makes the Stinky 2-4, I see a couple from Commencal and Lil Shredder have their custom stuff… any other dually options that aren't department store bikes but aren't as pricey as the Commencal/Lil Shredder?

Norco? Transition? Not seeing these…

Sept. 7, 2014, 7:24 a.m.

^i think Canfield has an offering coming

Sept. 7, 2014, 8:22 a.m.

Sorry should have thrown down some details.

Boy will be 7 on december 31st. Looking at fall deals on bikes so I can hide it in my nightmare of a garage to present it to him as a x-mass/b-day gift. I know, I know, what a rip off. But I forgot to count to 9 on my fingers when testing out my wife's suspension years ago. Oh, and the boy is a giant.

As far as defining everything. Bike is used for afterschool bike camps, getting to and from school, and riding with dad on squamish trails (man-boobs, half nelson, roller-coaster/lumberjacks etc). So lots of pedalling. Present bike is a Specialized hot rock (20 inch). And yup, I want disk brakes on the next bike!

"Lots" was an exaggeration. I only know of the new Norco coming out and the Transition rip-cord that was just released. But expect many more to start coming out. Why… Lill shredder has a bit of a cult following and crazy expensive. As well, when a kids fat bike is shown at the trade shows - it means the industry has gone crazy, so maybe some sanity will happen, and lots of new 24 inch kids bikes will be in the works.

I am also cheap! So trying to justify buying a cheaper hard-tail, instead of keeping up with the jones.

Sept. 7, 2014, 8:59 a.m.

Ghost's 24" offering looks pretty good for the price. Considering it for one of my kids if the wife and I decide to go with new instead of used.

Sept. 7, 2014, 11:56 a.m.

its been awhile but IME before puberty junior (average size/development)may be a pretty good athelete but may not have enough muscle to move a bike or WW kayak so anything that was lighter was usually better but once puberty hits lookout

Sept. 7, 2014, 1:25 p.m.

Jackson's Canfield is a 20"

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Sept. 7, 2014, 1:56 p.m.

Kids bikes are hard to suggest because especially at 7 when they will go through a few more frame sizes.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Sept. 7, 2014, 2:28 p.m.

I just picked up a hard-tailframe for my son every year and built him a bike that fit when he finally stops growing I'll let him decide what he want to ride

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Sept. 7, 2014, 4:29 p.m.

I am a forty yr old kid learning on a 29er hard tail. :). If an aging hack like myself can have fun on a hard tail so can any kid. Now I avoid the really gnarly stuff but I wouldn't want my kids riding that stuff anyway. Not until they're teenagers at least.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 7, 2014, 4:54 p.m.

if you get him a hardtail you will have to pick one up for yourself dave. that was one of my excuses for buying a surface ;)

if he's using it to get to school and boot around town go hardtail. if he ends up outriding it, you can always upgrade the frame

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 7, 2014, 6:04 p.m.

if you get him a hardtail you will have to pick one up for yourself dave. that was one of my excuses for buying a surface ;)

if he's using it to get to school and boot around town go hardtail. if he ends up outriding it, you can always upgrade the frame

This is the way to go. And one can always find frames on pinkbike.

Another side benefit if he starts liking it and wants stuff. You can always do the whole allowance and such trick to make hime earn it. Remember the whole chores thing?;)

www.thisiswhy.co.uk