Kids bikes

April 21, 2014, 9:37 a.m.

Last year I fluked out and was able to grab a great bike for my 9 year old.

One thing I have learned that for kids to have fun they need to be able to stop so discs are essential (mechanical can be fine for a 60 lbs )

MEC has a couple kid's bikes with 24" wheels for $450 that also come with either mechanical ($400) or hydraulic ($450) brakes. Ironically the mechanical brakes come with adjustable levers while the hydraulics are non-adjustable.

Any other suggestions for my 4', 60 lbs 7 year old?

Thanks, Rich

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

April 21, 2014, 12:18 p.m.

I got the Ghost 24" with hydraulic brakes. The parts manager set me up really well due to the no adjustment on those brakes. He said Ghost would stop doing that but I see they are still on there. Great bike and amazing price point but that hydro lever has to be replaced. My son could have been severely injured when he couldn't reach the lever, going down whistler last year and ended up flying over a berm.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

April 21, 2014, 1:13 p.m.

Thanks Counterpoint. I was interested in that bike last year and they said that this year's models would come with adjustable levers - they didn't. Did MEC replace the levers with adjustable ones? For those in the know - what levers can replace the the stock ones?

Thanks, Rich

I am a vegetarian not because I love animals but because I HATE plants.

It could be worse…you could be on fire.

April 21, 2014, 4:36 p.m.

In order of cost and quality :
Spawn cycles
Opus bikes
Rocky Mountain
Khs
All are aluminum frame and components.

April 22, 2014, 5:24 p.m.

Thanks Counterpoint. I was interested in that bike last year and they said that this year's models would come with adjustable levers - they didn't. Did MEC replace the levers with adjustable ones? For those in the know - what levers can replace the the stock ones?

Thanks, Rich

I was in MEC today and thought of this thread. The new ones have adjustable levers but there are still some older ones on the floor too which look very similar.

treezz
wow you are a ass

April 22, 2014, 5:36 p.m.

I can highly recommend Dizzy for some Specialized Hotrocks. They came through for me and kids love their bikes.

NSMBA member.