Kids Bike Suggestions

Dec. 3, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

20/24+…You just can't make this shit up.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/kids/riprock

dafuq?

:lol:

I wonder how much that bike is going to cost?
Sure, it would be neat to have one of these for winter riding with my buddy, but a kid's fat bike is like having a boat. You're just not going to use it that often to justify the cost.

Dec. 3, 2015, 12:41 p.m.

Sure, it would be neat to have one of these for winter riding with my buddy, but a kid's fat bike is like having a boat. You're just not going to use it that often to justify the cost.

you speaking from experience?

i met a father and son on burke during the summer. dad was on an old dually iirc, kid was on a 20" wheeled fat bike. he was totally stoked on his bike. his dad said they got out pretty regularly, and that the bike worked a lot better for tech riding than the hardtail he'd been on previously

speaking as someone who spends way too much time riding with kids and thinking about kids' bikes: those plus bikes with wide tires and front suspension make at ton of sense for kids riding around these parts. i bet they'd be confidence inspiring, and a blast to ride. all year round

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 3, 2015, 1:29 p.m.

you speaking from experience?

i met a father and son on burke during the summer. dad was on an old dually iirc, kid was on a 20" wheeled fat bike. he was totally stoked on his bike. his dad said they got out pretty regularly, and that the bike worked a lot better for tech riding than the hardtail he'd been on previously

speaking as someone who spends way too much time riding with kids and thinking about kids' bikes: those plus bikes with wide tires and front suspension make at ton of sense for kids riding around these parts. i bet they'd be confidence inspiring, and a blast to ride. all year round

Without sounding too serious about kids bikes :nerd:

I don’t totally disagree that there is utility in fat, but my experience is that pedaling up hill is one of the real constraints for the youngsters. Adding heft to the hoops just seems like a bad trade. The spawn hardtail that my kids rips around on seems plenty capable for the stuff that he's into.

Dec. 3, 2015, 1:40 p.m.

I don’t totally disagree that there is utility in fat, but my experience is that pedaling up hill is one of the real constraints for the youngsters. Adding heft to the hoops just seems like a bad trade.

sounds like you and jr need to get on the program:

seriously, why worry about your kid's bike's weight, and wait around for them to whine and inch their way up the hill, when you can get in twice as many laps, a better workout for yourself, and leave them with the breath and focus to tell you about their day?

The spawn hardtail that my kids rips around on seems plenty capable for the stuff that he's into.

spawn makes RAD bikes. i should bug max about making a plus bike!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 3, 2015, 1:46 p.m.

seriously, why worry about your kid's bike's weight, and wait around for them to whine and inch their way up the hill, when you can get in twice as many laps, a better workout for yourself

We use this method, but my lower back is screaming come lap 3…

Dec. 3, 2015, 2:54 p.m.

LOL!

Is that two inner tubes? Does it actually work up logging roads?

Dec. 3, 2015, 3:30 p.m.

LOL!

Is that two inner tubes? Does it actually work up logging roads?

looks like that's what they're using (i stole that picture from the interweb)

but yeah. we use a similar setup (cut innertube tied to my seat rails, wrapped around the little guy's stem and secured with a carabiner) for three years and it works a treat. i've towed him up fromme many times, mt. jofferey, sumas, up the mamquam to hit half nelson, a few fire roads in whistler, etc. i wouldn't use it on singletrack but we've never had a problem on fire/logging roads

i'm starting to see more people using this system, especially on fromme. i complimented one guy on his setup and he actually stopped and thanked me, said he'd seen me towing my son up fromme a year before and started doing it himself, loved everything about it

Dec. 3, 2015, 4:13 p.m.

looks like that's what they're using (i stole that picture from the interweb)

but yeah. we use a similar setup (cut innertube tied to my seat rails, wrapped around the little guy's stem and secured with a carabiner) for three years and it works a treat. i've towed him up fromme many times, mt. jofferey, sumas, up the mamquam to hit half nelson, a few fire roads in whistler, etc. i wouldn't use it on singletrack but we've never had a problem on fire/logging roads

i'm starting to see more people using this system, especially on fromme. i complimented one guy on his setup and he actually stopped and thanked me, said he'd seen me towing my son up fromme a year before and started doing it himself, loved everything about it

I saw someone doing that last year. My kid isnt quite there yet, but with the new bike coming for Christmas, maybe when summer rolls around.

Dec. 3, 2015, 4:16 p.m.

I used to tow jr up Burnaby mountain using the dog's leash. I knew he was getting too big for that when the leash finally broke. He started getting faster/better than me on the downhills around age 13. A year later he came up behind me on fromme and put his hand on my back. That really made me feel old, and motivated me to ride faster. 16 years old now and an absolutely phenomenal rider. Riding with your kids and watching them get better than you, doesn't get much better than that!

Dec. 4, 2015, 10:02 a.m.

seriously, why worry about your kid's bike's weight, and wait around for them to whine and inch their way up the hill, when you can get in twice as many laps, a better workout for yourself, and leave them with the breath and focus to tell you about their day?

That's a great idea.
My biggest issue is that junior doesn't like the uphill as much as I do. So it's a bit of a battle getting him out on the trails this time of year.

That system would help.
:fro:

Dec. 4, 2015, 10:36 a.m.

yup the towing system works well.
I have even towed the little gaffer to elphin.
Strava - needs to create a parent tow selection, then we will see some battles on the fsr roads.

Dec. 9, 2015, 10:12 a.m.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=41639

Kids bike for sale.

Nothing better than a bike for xmas.
Norco Charger.
Stock - except a nimby 50 stem cap, and new grips.

Boy is way more meticulous about keeping his bike in perfect running order then I am.
https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2014/charger-24/