Kids Bike Suggestions

April 29, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

Does anyone know if the Spawn bikes are stocked locally? I would like to get her to swing her leg over a couple and try them out.

i've seen spawns at different bikes in north van

when we got our hotrock 16" they weren't officially being sold in canada - we got ours at the bike gallery near ubc. but they may/should be more readily available, now

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 29, 2013, 11:07 a.m.

i've seen spawns at different bikes in north van

when we got our hotrock 16" they weren't officially being sold in canada - we got ours at the bike gallery near ubc. but they may/should be more readily available, now

Different Bikes North and West Van had just received some when I was in on Saturday. Great little bikes.

Cheers Ben

April 29, 2013, 11:36 a.m.

Sounds like Different Bikes is the place to check - great as it is just down the road.

April 29, 2013, 11:54 a.m.

I looked at the Ghost 20" bike last week, seems pretty decent and the fork actually moves! MEC only of course.

April 29, 2013, 2:39 p.m.

I love these threads. Our little guy is turning 3 soon and I was ready to buy the hotrock 12 but sure enough someone gave us theirs that they didn't need anymore. I've noticed the Hotrock has lower seat height and standover than the cheaper 12" pedal bikes and is lighter. He's pretty short and can "run bike" with it on his tiptoes. We were going to try and skip the training wheels but found these cool spring ones that let him turn sharp. One of the neighbor kids chain store 12" pedal bikes has a fixed gear and no brakes, same as our trike, which our guy likes to pedal backwards, so getting used to coaster brakes was a little challenging. We've got a street full of kids and a couple of them just got their training wheels off so he knows thats coming soon and he's okay with wearing pads now too. Full face soon, and pump track build project this coming weekend!

~~~~~~~~~~~

April 29, 2013, 2:57 p.m.

I put my boy in a Norco Mighty Macho - Tough Bike, then into a specialized Fuse Grom BMX (was Stolen), Then into a Specialized Hotrock 24 - the one with the chain guide and now I found him a used Kona Stuff 24. From what I know all kids rim brakes suck - better off with coster. Most Kids bikes dont have disk tabs although a few new ones do. Most Kids Bikes are HEAVY as sugested earlier. When trying to upgrade, eveything is kid specific, brake levers, cranks, seats adult stuff doen't always fit. Got my girl a Norco run bike (for sale now) and she now rides a Norco lil Missy.

April 29, 2013, 4:13 p.m.

I love these threads. Our little guy is turning 3 soon and I was ready to buy the hotrock 12 but sure enough someone gave us theirs that they didn't need anymore. I've noticed the Hotrock has lower seat height and standover than the cheaper 12" pedal bikes and is lighter. He's pretty short and can "run bike" with it on his tiptoes. We were going to try and skip the training wheels but found these cool spring ones that let him turn sharp. One of the neighbor kids chain store 12" pedal bikes has a fixed gear and no brakes, same as our trike, which our guy likes to pedal backwards, so getting used to coaster brakes was a little challenging. We've got a street full of kids and a couple of them just got their training wheels off so he knows thats coming soon and he's okay with wearing pads now too. Full face soon, and pump track build project this coming weekend!

We bought a Norco 12" and standover/saddle height was an issue - I had to frankenbike the two kids' bikes to get my daughter's lower standover frame less all the pink bits.

April 29, 2013, 4:16 p.m.

I put my boy in a Norco Mighty Macho - Tough Bike, then into a specialized Fuse Grom BMX (was Stolen), Then into a Specialized Hotrock 24 - the one with the chain guide and now I found him a used Kona Stuff 24. From what I know all kids rim brakes suck - better off with coster. Most Kids bikes dont have disk tabs although a few new ones do. Most Kids Bikes are HEAVY as sugested earlier. When trying to upgrade, eveything is kid specific, brake levers, cranks, seats adult stuff doen't always fit. Got my girl a Norco run bike (for sale now) and she now rides a Norco lil Missy.

The Spawn bikes come with Tektro V-brakes. The Opus kids bikes also have V brakes (some other brand). Once I adjusted the levers my girl can lock the rear wheel easily. I adjusted the front so that the lever hits the bar before the wheel locks - I have heard a horror story involving lost teeth! The shop didn't adjust the brakes with kids in mind (adjust the levers close to the bar in particular).

Other brands without brake bosses need a U-brake which will be less effective but should work OK if the spring is adjusted (bent) to reduce lever force. Then ther is the Hotrock mod thread on MTBR where you can find all you need to fit them with discs.

Cheers Ben

April 29, 2013, 9:36 p.m.

My 4yrs old just upgraded from her 12" Specialized Hotrock to a 16" Hotrock. We are selling her small bike for $100 and can through in a baby dolly seat that tucks behind and mounts on the seatstays. A must for any serious big girl biker.

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/bik/3770817475.html

![]([HTML_REMOVED]

Sold! This thread has done its job. Our little 12" Hotrock now has a new home.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

April 30, 2013, 12:45 a.m.

Another company to look at is Islabikes (http://www.islabikes.co.uk), there a UK company but I believe has just started selling in the US, so may be available in Canada. They just make kiddies bikes, and all the geometry seems to work really well, and they have small components etc.

Our 3yr old is now on a Cnoc 14, which he is doing great on, having had a Rothan (balance bike) for the past year or so.

Tom.

May 1, 2013, 12:02 p.m.

Thanks BJC, actually the hotrock brakes are fine I meant the little bikes. I guess a v brake upgrade is cheap enough. It wasn't worth it to install disk brakes on the Hotrock because I got a good deal on the Kona. The shock on the Kona is way better too. The Kona is heavier too which is always a concern.There is only one good currenty avalible 24' specific shock I know of. I can find it on MTBR if someone wants to know. You can always adapt an old 26" wheel fork too from what I have heard.

June 13, 2013, 9:48 a.m.

Might be able to get a great deal on a Redline Proline Mini for my 5yr old.

My only hesitation at this point are the skinny tires. Anyone know how wide it can take, and whether it will be useless or not on the shore? He's not a racer, but does like Inter River bike park as much as some trail riding.

June 13, 2013, 10:11 a.m.

pretty sure 1 3/8" is the widest you can run on a mini. i looked (briefly) at bmx's (prior to getting a hotrock); they're nice and light, but the geometry doesn't translate that well to trail use - ie, bb's are high, and head angles are steep. however if you're going to spend some time on the trackā€¦

i was checking out the bmx racing last weekend, and the scene looks awesomely fun. some super talented little groms out there.

June 13, 2013, 10:48 a.m.

Hmm - yes, good points. I don't see him racing anytime soon, but he does like hitting the park.

Which Hotrock did you go with? I'm looking at the 20" Coaster, but was thinking maybe it's worth getting the 6 spd and just SSing it for now? Would the fork just be silly added weight, or worth it? Also looks like standover is a bit higher on the 6 spd?

Edit: After looking into the 6spd it is def the wrong choice at 30 lbs. Looks like the Coaster is the way to go.

I sure wish the Canadian distributor would catch on to this market and actually bring some bikes in to see.

June 13, 2013, 11:36 a.m.

kids warm up to gears pretty quick, and the range is definitely advantageous on hills. plus front brake (really need for riding down anything moderately steep). not sure if the fork spec has changed, but the one we have is primitive and oversprung (with no adjustments). he does get ~1.5" out of it, so perhaps better than nothing.

i think there's a couple local stores that carry 20" hotrocks; (obsession [HTML_REMOVED] dizzy's perhaps)?

i'd also take a look at the 20" mec (geared thing); pretty similar design / spec.