Kid Trailers

Feb. 14, 2016, 11:52 a.m.

Are there any options if you have a through axle/ maxle?

http://www.robertaxleproject.com/

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 14, 2016, 7:06 p.m.

Think of yourself sitting in a chariot vs a weehoo. Get out of the bubble and into nature.

i know a family with a weehoo, they love it. they have a chariot too - there's some overlap but they also have very distinct applications

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 14, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

Think of yourself sitting in a chariot vs a weehoo. Get out of the bubble and into nature.

There is definitely a Weehoo (or equivalent product) in my future when my daughter is a bit older, but the overlap with a Chariot is minimal for the first few years.

The Chariot is a ~ weather proof car alternative for naps-on-the-go and getting kid-and-stuff from place to place.

i know a family with a weehoo, they love it. they have a chariot too - there's some overlap but they also have very distinct applications

This^

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 14, 2016, 8:22 p.m.

We had a used chariot that we bought off some friends for $100 and then sold a couple years later for $100 again.

Feb. 14, 2016, 10:55 p.m.

We’ve had a Burley D Lite 2 seater for 6 years. The thing has been put through the ringer. My wife bike commuted with it daily for 5 years or so. It’s been drug though the endowment lands probably near 100 times. I’ve dumped it ripping around traffic circles twice (once with Son in tow). It’s been punished. It doesn’t look so pretty these days, but outside of some understandable corrosion and dirty-ass seats, it’s functionally the same as the day we bought it. Pretty impressive piece of gear!

As much as I love the Burley, I came to grips with the fact that I fit squarely in the jerk category. So, last year I picked up a Surley Big Dummy frame from a buddy and built it up with a bunch of spare mountain bike parts. After riding in the hooptie, the youngest puts up major beef when she’s relegated to the trailer. Most people on this board probably need another bike like they need another hole in the head, BUT the BD is a like having a second car. Grocery-go-getting (Costco style), shuttling kids bikes, toting a full bag of size 3 soccer balls to practice, family camping trips etc. It really opens up a whole new world and the kids think it's a Bentley!

Feb. 14, 2016, 11:56 p.m.

I was looking at a Hooptie mounted on a BD in Portland (one kid in a car seat, one kid sitting) and thinking it was very cool. Do you just rock rain suits, or have you fashioned some type of canopy for the really shite days?

I do enjoy the modular nature of the Thule/Chariot or Weehoo as I still have a bike I enjoy riding (road/commuter) when it isn't hooked up to the trailer where cargo bikes ride a bit like cargo bikes when they're not being used to transport stuff, but it is such a simple grab-and-go scenario it definitely appeals.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 15, 2016, 12:30 a.m.

Friends of ours have this:
http://bakfiets.nl/eng/modellen/cargobike/long/
They have one with electric assist (Gasp! The horror!). I prefer a trailer, but they use it daily for everything from transporting three kids to grocery shopping and are happy with it. I have seen several of these around, actually.

Feb. 15, 2016, 8:57 a.m.

tried a weehoo a couple times. Very cool, but a big piece of gear for a limited use.

I've been happy (and the kids) with single chariot (Cougar), then Burley Piccolo, then a tandem bike, and various combinations thereof..
Had a trail-gator tow bar but only used a few times.

Feb. 15, 2016, 9:09 a.m.

Are there any options if you have a through axle/ maxle?

You can get an adapter for a Chariot . . .

http://www.mec.ca/product/5041-871/thule-child-trailer-thru-axle-adapter-shimano/?h=10+50002+50057[HTML_REMOVED]f=10+50002+50732

Feb. 15, 2016, 9:25 a.m.

Lots of great info in here thanks.

oh and single, for sure - double strollers are for jerks

What level of Jerk are we talking here? Scale of 1 to 10 is this an 11?

Feb. 15, 2016, 9:30 a.m.

D's coworker was really happy with his weehoo. Kid isnt caged up in plastic. Sold by her past employer.

http://rideweehoo.com

Little guy is too small for one of those yet, the trailer would double as jogging stroller on rougher surfaces that our regular stroller sucks for.

Once he's bigger something like that is for sure on the list.

Feb. 15, 2016, 9:39 a.m.

What level of Jerk are we talking here? Scale of 1 to 10 is this an 11?

we're talking lopes parking job level jerk

Once he's bigger something like that is for sure on the list.

an intermediate step you don't want to miss is the ibert. a bit awkward to ride with, and in my experience a kid only fits it for a short period of time. but so much fun! my son got his first real taste of singletrack in one

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 15, 2016, 9:52 a.m.

that Chariot I gave zed was a hand me down from a work guy who did 3 kids with it.

pretty solid for 12+ years of use. when I had an older kid Id run a trail a bike with the chariot attached to that. that was a workout

Feb. 15, 2016, 10:10 a.m.

I was looking at a Hooptie mounted on a BD in Portland (one kid in a car seat, one kid sitting) and thinking it was very cool. Do you just rock rain suits, or have you fashioned some type of canopy for the really shite days?

I do enjoy the modular nature of the Thule/Chariot or Weehoo as I still have a bike I enjoy riding (road/commuter) when it isn't hooked up to the trailer where cargo bikes ride a bit like cargo bikes when they're not being used to transport stuff, but it is such a simple grab-and-go scenario it definitely appeals.

Yep, just good old-fashioned rain gear. My experience has been that most kids are less bothered by the rain than adults:-)

I wouldn’t group the BD with other cargos in terms of how they pedal. I ride a properly fit XL, 2x10 drivetrain [24/38], with Big Apples. It feels more like a heavy steel hardtail with slicks than a cargo bike. I have not conceded a single commuter challenge in the year I’ve owned it. If someone gets me, they’re usually head to toe in spandex or e-assist:-) I'm sure an Xtracycle-one-size-fits-all cargo wouldn't feel the same but over [HTML_REMOVED] 10 miles there isn't much difference between the BD and a run of the mill commuter. It's a really fun bike to ride.

Feb. 15, 2016, 2:15 p.m.

I used a double MEC trailer to commute for about 2 years. Some thoughts:
- It held up really well. Was stored outside during the day (and sometimes over night) was still going stong after 2 years of daily use (we sold it to a friend who still uses it).
- Not sure about the Chariot, by the MEC double was just wider than a standard door. Made it a really hassle if you have to get it in and out of the house every day.
- We rarely actually used both seats. I can count on two hand the number of times. By the time our second kid was old enough to ride it it, kid 1 wanted to be on her own bike.
We used the rain cover way less than I expected, but it was nice to have. Kid liked to be able to see what was going on so we generally had the cover open and her in her rain gear.

We had the ibert too, but I wouldn't want to use it for daily commuting.