Kid Trailers

Feb. 12, 2016, 3:56 p.m.

Looking for recommendations on kid trailers.

Have not done any research yet, coming here first to get the low down.

Single vs double? Ones to specifically avoid?

Our miniature humanoid should be big enough to drag around behind bike soon.

Feb. 12, 2016, 4:18 p.m.

when we boughts ours (8 years ago [holy $hit]) chariot was the only option we considered. make in canada; you can bike, run and ski with it; and there are "baby" inserts so it was the only stroller type thing we ever owned. i've also carried all kinds of stuff in mine; they're strong

oh and single, for sure - double strollers are for jerks

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 12, 2016, 4:32 p.m.

Chariot

Feb. 12, 2016, 4:34 p.m.

I had a double Chariot that Rat gave me (I have since passed it on) and it was superb to put the child in the middle and hit the trails. I used to ride up to the head of the trail with my son sleeping in the Chariot, his run bike strapped to the Chariot, then wake him up and rip the trails. It took a beating and kept on working. Expensive but definitely worthy.

Video (he's only 2 here)

Feb. 12, 2016, 5:25 p.m.

Just purchased a used Burley double. They get great reviews and have more storage than the Chariot (or so I am told).

Feb. 12, 2016, 9:19 p.m.

Probably going to upgrade my single Chariot to a double soon. Think I paid $250 for it with stroller and running wheels, and bike attachment.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 12, 2016, 11:18 p.m.

I have a single Thule/Chariot and it has been excellent. Sadly no longer made in Canada and in my travels I've noticed some with prematurely bagged out fabric (especially compared to how long they used to last), though mine has been fine.

Still running straight/true after numerous curbings -- I have the model with leaf springs and the floating axle probably has made a difference. The fabric/stitching survived being dragged on the side-then-roof at a pretty good clip.

The five point harness is easy to use and functions excellently.

I would highly recommend

oh and single, for sure - double strollers are for jerks

Even if one's cool with being a jerk there are lots of places that are tough enough to negotiate with the single.

Doubles should be slightly offset rear-raised tandem not side-by-side… Think attack helicopters not chuck wagons.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 13, 2016, 4:30 a.m.

I do the same thing as Zed, shuttle kid with trailer, then let him rip down. He's on a pedal bike now but he's only just four and still can't handle much in the way of hills, and that bike fits fine on the back of the trailer. Chariot isn't cheap but I don't think anything else on the market does what it does. Full disclosure, I bought mine right before they were bought out by Thule.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 13, 2016, 10:32 a.m.

I've got a chariot that was used prior. We've put tonnes of miles on it and now a second kid.

Really great product and the only choice if you need multiple attachments like skis. Expensive new but they hold their value pretty well.

There are cheaper versions out there if you just want a bike friendly stroller. Look at Costco and MEC.

Feb. 13, 2016, 11:25 a.m.

We have a Chariot that's about 7 years old. Has seen a lot of use and no love, still going strong. The fabric has a tear now, but we'll keep it as long as it lasts. The next trailer will be cargo only, the kids will be old enough to pedal themselves. Even now, we only use it when we have to do longer distances in a hurry or at a time when we know they'll be tired. We have a double, I don't think I had many issues I wouldn't have had with a single. Only used it on roads/gravel, not on trails.
Grease and/or unlock the screws regularly, especially when you use it in the winter on salted roads. All screws on our trailer are stuck.
Friend of mine bought a Burley after his Chariot died and says he likes it better.

Feb. 13, 2016, 10:17 p.m.

We've been really happy with our MEC trailer. Used on weekends only, no daily commute. It's held up well and was a third the price of the chariot at the time.

Feb. 13, 2016, 10:32 p.m.

we also ran mec trailers with great success. from commuting the kids to daycare downtown to fully loaded island hopping bike camping. heavier, and not as trick as the chariot, but got the job done at a good price (and still got reasonable coin when we sold them).

Feb. 14, 2016, 8:25 a.m.

Are there any options if you have a through axle/ maxle?

Feb. 14, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

D's coworker was really happy with his weehoo. Kid isnt caged up in plastic. Sold by her past employer.

http://rideweehoo.com

Feb. 14, 2016, 8:44 a.m.

Think of yourself sitting in a chariot vs a weehoo. Get out of the bubble and into nature.