Kenda Nevegals - are they THAT bad?

May 1, 2015, 10:18 a.m.

Nevegals have been the main tire I've used for north of ten years. Are there better tires? Probably - Maxxis makes some great rubber, I just find they wear faster (a function of good soft rubber doing its job) and I don't find the performance is sufficiently better for me to pay that much more than I do for Nevegals. I've always felt the Nevegals do a good job in all conditions, the sidewalls work (both wire and folding) and I get good longevity out of them.

I'm running folding bead 2.35 Nevegals on my all mountain bike and ride a few times a week and I think I've had two flats in a year and a half with them, usually my fault for running low pressure and picking a hack line. Not bad.

May 1, 2015, 7:23 p.m.

I don't usually see a sidewall crack/split along its entire circumference, but when I do, its a Kenda Nevegal. Stay appropriately inflated, my friends.

May 1, 2015, 8:01 p.m.

Nevegals have been the main tire I've used for north of ten years. Are there better tires? Probably - Maxxis makes some great rubber, I just find they wear faster (a function of good soft rubber doing its job) and I don't find the performance is sufficiently better for me to pay that much more than I do for Nevegals. I've always felt the Nevegals do a good job in all conditions, the sidewalls work (both wire and folding) and I get good longevity out of them.

I'm running folding bead 2.35 Nevegals on my all mountain bike and ride a few times a week and I think I've had two flats in a year and a half with them, usually my fault for running low pressure and picking a hack line. Not bad.

do you happen to hold any kenda stock?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 1, 2015, 8:44 p.m.

do you happen to hold any kenda stock?

Why? So, if your Kenda sidewall rips, you can seal the cracks by inserting a stock certificate between the sidewall and the tube and ride home?

Edit: OK, I get it now.

May 1, 2015, 8:48 p.m.

Edit: OK, I get it now.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 1, 2015, 9:03 p.m.

I remember thinking nevegals were fantastic when I used them to replace my Panaracer Cinder cones (or something).

That was a night and day improvement. I did flat a few times though. Then EXO tires came out and I kinda just went Maxxis.

I don't remember ever hating the nevegals, per se… But I'm very impressionable…

May 3, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

They came stock on my Norcco Manik a few years back, liked them although I found that cornering at high speeds was sometimes predictable…just. When they were run down, I bought some Schwalbe - hated how these cornered and how fast they disintegrated.

Remembered Maxxis, bought an EXO for the front, a full-on DH casing in the rear, Minions - and like every minute. Have actually not really thought about Nevegals for some time. Am happy with Maxxis - and sort of wary of trying out something different.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 4, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

Didn't find them great at cornering, rolling, braking, or anything. They're just OK at it all. Which at the price point, is just fine. Makes them a reasonable OEM tire on mid price bikes.

Once I switched to minions I thought, why would anyone ride nevegals. Then my friend started learning to ride, and never got enough lean to engage the beefy side knobs in the corners. He was much happier when I dug out some nevegals for him.

May 4, 2015, 8:01 p.m.

Poster child for mediocre tires. Not terrible, you could ride anything with them, but there are much, much better tires to be had.

Kenda = the Nickleback of tires.

May 9, 2015, 8:35 p.m.

Put me in the minority it seems, but I have been riding mostly Kenda Nevegals for over 10 years now [HTML_REMOVED] I don't plan to switch unless they stop making them. Tried Minions a few years back [HTML_REMOVED] definitely did not like them. I use Nevegals all year round in all conditions [HTML_REMOVED] don't have any complaints. I run anywhere from 22 to 28 psi (with tubes) depending on conditions [HTML_REMOVED] time of year. You Maxxis people can have them, I'll stick-e with what works for me.

Thread killer