keeping your bike in good shape

July 6, 2004, 1:02 a.m.

what kind of maintenance work do you guys do to your bike in order to keep it in good condition.

July 6, 2004, 1:22 a.m.

One thing; I keep it clean.

July 6, 2004, 2:35 a.m.

keep it clean and washed for the most part.

make sure everything is properly oiled, greased and lubed up.

go over the bolts every one or two rides and make sure everything is tightened the way it should be.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

July 6, 2004, 2:44 a.m.

I'm really into hosing off my bike when it gets muddy. Either let it dry or wipe it off. Also wipe down the chain and oil it, otherwise it could corrode. Clean bike is easier to work on, and leaving elements exposed to parts isn't good.

Otherwise I find that cleaning the drive train frequently really helps if you pedal your bike. Basic cleaning involves a brush to scrub the parts (with degreaser), and a chain cleaning device. Full cleaning involves:

• remove chain, cassette, rear derailleur, chain rings,
  • soak cassette and chain in degreaser,
  • scrub chain rings with brush and degreaser,
  • scrub derailleur jockey wheels with degreaser,
  • clean derailleur,
  • thorougly flush, with very hot water, all parts that had degreaser used on them,
  • make sure everything is dried,
  • thorough oiling of chain,
  • oil pivot points and jockey wheels of rear derailleur,
  • clean and oil front derailleur.

Always check things like brakes, shock, forks, pivots, crank arms, etc., AFTER every ride. That way if there is a problem you can run it into the shop. Checking before a ride should be done, but waiting until then when you have a problem just means missing a ride.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 6, 2004, 10:04 a.m.

single speed, one brake.

no maintaing needed.

July 6, 2004, 10:28 a.m.

My BB7 is in pieces right now. I took it all apart and cleaned every part. Im going to put it all back together and grease it all up nicely again.

Im black on the inside.
FYI: Im blacker than black.
bmx>mtb

July 6, 2004, 10:30 a.m.

Pretty much what Switch said. Clean/hose down after every ride. I usually only check bolt tightness when something needs adjustment or rebuilding, but it's probably a good idea.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 6, 2004, 12:26 p.m.

Originally posted by switch
Otherwise I find that cleaning the drive train frequently really helps if you pedal your bike. Basic cleaning involves a brush to scrub the parts (with degreaser), and a chain cleaning device. Full cleaning involves:

• remove chain, cassette, rear derailleur, chain rings,
  • soak cassette and chain in degreaser,
  • scrub chain rings with brush and degreaser,
  • scrub derailleur jockey wheels with degreaser,
  • clean derailleur,
  • thorougly flush, with very hot water, all parts that had degreaser used on them,
  • make sure everything is dried,
  • thorough oiling of chain,
  • oil pivot points and jockey wheels of rear derailleur,
  • clean and oil front derailleur.

what kind of degreaser should i be using?

July 6, 2004, 12:41 p.m.

There is stuff like Pedros Bio degreaser that you can use. But its not very strong and usually requires alot of extra fluid. Also Pedros is a little expensive. I use Loctite Pro degreaser for my stuff, it super strong and when need to bath something, you just mix a little of it with water instead of a 100% bath of deagreaser. I think its like 10-15 bucks for a can of it, but sad to say you need a wholesale number to buy it. My dad gets it for through his work so it doesn't matter. You might be able to get it a construction supply store, but i think thats it.

![](http://www3.telus.net/public/wtaekema/cloud panoramasig.jpg)

FOR SALE: 2003 Fox Vanilla R Shock: 7.875" x 2.25". Comes with 650lbs spring. $30

July 6, 2004, 12:59 p.m.

what about front/rear hubs/spokes?

can i use wd40 as a degreaser?

July 6, 2004, 1:37 p.m.

^ NO never

oh hai!

July 6, 2004, 2:50 p.m.

no drops to flat

July 6, 2004, 3:12 p.m.

wash after everyride and keep al parts clean and lubed………and if my bike gets really muddy i wash it then clean it with bike lust.

July 6, 2004, 3:17 p.m.

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
what kind of degreaser should i be using?

I use the bio-degradeable stuff from MEC. It's essentially a Simple Green type solution. Costs around $12 for a gallon of the stuff. Simple Green works great too. This stuff will pretty much take the grease off immediately when you scrub. If you let your chain soak in it for a while (like 1/2 hour), then scrub the chain, then flush with very hot water, the chain will be 99% cleaned.

If you get something like Simple Green, find somewhere that sells it bulk and get the large container as it's much cheaper than buying a few small bottles.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 6, 2004, 3:23 p.m.

clean it and grease it