Kashima Shocks Make a Difference?

Feb. 13, 2012, 11:25 p.m.

Now that there's a fair number of 2012 fox float shocks out there, can anyone say they notice a difference between the non-kashima coated shocks? It may just be re hashing the fork argument, but I'm interested in a 2012 Fox Float RP23 for my Rampant. Is it a complete waste with such a short shock length (6.5 x 1.5) or will it be a big enough difference to justify the $400 bucks.

Also, This is not just to match my fork as I run an argyle on the bike. I was actually hoping to pick up a rockshox monarch plus to replace my 2009 Fox Float RP2 but they do not come in a small enough size for my Rampant. I'm open to other shock suggestions too (has to be fit the 6.5 x 1.5).

Feb. 14, 2012, 6:20 a.m.

From my experience with the Float 180 the Kashima makes a noticeable difference for the forks. The SKS seals on the 2012 are supposed to enhance the smoothness as well but I have the 2011 Kashima versions with regular seals.. I also have a Kashima RP23 shock as well and a non-Kashima version and the jury is still out in my opinion. There is a probably a small difference but not sure I notice it.

Feb. 14, 2012, 6:56 a.m.

its all in your head.

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

Feb. 14, 2012, 7:59 a.m.

You might notice it on the forks.
Not so much on the rear shock.

There is some kind of leverage system on the rear end of your bike at work anyway. IF the Kashima coat reduces stiction you will probably crank up the pro-pedal to reduce bobbing.
Especially if the leverage ratio of your bike is quite high.

Or the pivots of your rear end induce stiction anyway.

Not worth a 400$ difference imho.

If the bike comes with it, it is nice to have.

I have spent way too much money on aftermarket upgrades for a marginal (at best) performance gain, which my riding ability didnt even justify. Probably.

Most of the time new riding shorts, a trip to the bike park, some comfortable riding shoes or even a good meal gave me a greater fun per dollar ratio than aftermarket upgrades. They are fun too, though.

BUT - if you think that it will give you satisfaction - do it.
As drummer says - its all in the head.

Get the regular Float if it is a lot cheaper. Bring your shock in for service once a year - the saved money will be better spent on a regularly serviced shock. And a lubed and serviced (cheaper) shock will feel better than an abused, kashima one.

If you have a lot of money - buy whatever appeals to you though. Spending the bucks is better than doing a Scrooge McDuck.

Feb. 14, 2012, 8:10 a.m.

I've ridden both RP23 Boost Valve variants. I definitely preferred the Kashima coated version. That said I think it was more the Adaptive Logic that I preffered than the Kashima coating itself. The older RP23 ProPedal settings never made sense to me with only 1 "Open" setting and 3 "ProPedal" settings. With the older RP23 to get the compression damping I wanted going downhill I had to run it in the ProPedal setting, which wasn't ideal. With Adaptive Logic climbing is always done with ProPedal on, and descending is done with varying amounts of compression damping. If there is a RP23 non-Kashima with Adaptive Logic I'd go for that. While I can tell the Kashima RP23 has less stiction than the non-Kashima coated shock (just), as mentioned above, once the 3:1 leverage ratio of your frame is applied the on trail difference will be tiny.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Feb. 14, 2012, 1:19 p.m.

Not worth a 400$ difference imho.

If the bike comes with it, it is nice to have.

thats what i thought too

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 14, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

I was actually hoping to pick up a rockshox monarch plus to replace my 2009 Fox Float RP2 but they do not come in a small enough size for my Rampant. 6.5 x 1.5

There's always the regular Monarch

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 14, 2012, 4:16 p.m.

My 2012 Kashima Talas still feels like poop. Even after James rebuilt it. 3 rides later and it feels sticky. Woooooo Kashima. :rolleyes: Pretty tho.

Feb. 14, 2012, 11:50 p.m.

That's what I wanted to hear. It's been less than a year since I had my shock serviced by suspension works, but it might be worth doing again.

Feb. 15, 2012, 12:59 p.m.

I have a non-Kashima RP23 on my Tallboy and a Kashima RP23 on my SB-66 and there is an obvious difference in the suppleness of the two shocks (beyond the valving differences). The Kashima shock gets moving very easily and has excellent suppleness compared to the non-K shock. On my Tallboy I haven't even considered buying a Kashima coated shock because I prefer a firmer feeling on my XC bike than my AM bike.

For those that say that Kashima has a greater effect on a fork than a rear shock I disagree. Rear shocks run much higher pressures therefore the seals have to be tighter to hold the air pressure. Reducing the friction can be very important because there is quite a large seal area on a rear shock. The air seal and oil seal both run against Kashima coated surfaces. This is only somewhat true in a fork because the oil seal under the highest pressure is in the FIT damper. On the 2011 and 2012 Float forks that I've seen, the FIT damper is the source of much of the stickiness.

Feb. 15, 2012, 5:35 p.m.

I have a non-Kashima RP23 on my Tallboy and a Kashima RP23 on my SB-66 and there is an obvious difference in the suppleness of the two shocks (beyond the valving differences). The Kashima shock gets moving very easily and has excellent suppleness compared to the non-K shock. On my Tallboy I haven't even considered buying a Kashima coated shock because I prefer a firmer feeling on my XC bike than my AM bike.

For those that say that Kashima has a greater effect on a fork than a rear shock I disagree. Rear shocks run much higher pressures therefore the seals have to be tighter to hold the air pressure. Reducing the friction can be very important because there is quite a large seal area on a rear shock. The air seal and oil seal both run against Kashima coated surfaces. This is only somewhat true in a fork because the oil seal under the highest pressure is in the FIT damper. On the 2011 and 2012 Float forks that I've seen, the FIT damper is the source of much of the stickiness.

this man has consumed his gallon of kool-aid for the day

Feb. 15, 2012, 8:29 p.m.

i prefer the damping of the kashima shock - its much more firm in the closed position, and the open position has 3 firmness options, the least of which is very open, kinda like a marzocchi shock, if you're into that sort of feeling.

Feb. 15, 2012, 8:41 p.m.

i prefer the damping of the kashima shock - its much more firm in the closed position, and the open position has 3 firmness options, the least of which is very open, kinda like a marzocchi shock, if you're into that sort of feeling.

My 2011 non Kashima RP23 had this same options

Feb. 15, 2012, 8:42 p.m.

I have two with kashima and two without. I can not tell the difference. But what do I know?

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Feb. 15, 2012, 9:57 p.m.

this man has consumed his gallon of kool-aid for the day

…I've had similar experiences to him.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.