Juicy 7 adjustments? (help?)

June 21, 2007, 1:40 a.m.

So recently I picked up a set of Juicy 7's. Now my issue has been getting the lever adjusted in two senses:

1 - the lever doesnt compress straight to the bar when locking up the brakes.

2 - the lever is still close enough that it doesnt feel "too far" away to grab.

It just seems if I adjust the lever position via the set screw in the lever body, then its too far out regardless of how I set or adjust the pad contact dial. If I move the lever position into an ideal area of reach that doesnt feel unnatural or panicky, then I can pull the lever to the bar or squish my other fingers while on the brakes again regardless of how I set the dial thingie.

Does this sound normal while breaking in these brakes? Or is this normal of the stock orgranic pads and I should use the metallic pads I bought?

It just feels like I need the have them bled already. I've also always been finicky when it comes to brake set up and usually use one finger to ride the brakes until I need to lock them up and scrub some speed at least.

And usefull comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

June 21, 2007, 6:33 a.m.

if you need more than one finger to get them to stop I would say you have an issue .

back off the pad contact dial and get your lever reach set up - then play with the contact point.

it should be that simple.

June 21, 2007, 12:16 p.m.

stock organic pads! That explains why mine wore out so incredibly quickly compared to my old Hayes. Thanks

June 21, 2007, 1:29 p.m.

if you need more than one finger to get them to stop I would say you have an issue .

back off the pad contact dial and get your lever reach set up - then play with the contact point.

it should be that simple.

Ya I did that after posting this last night and I might have found somewhat of a sweet spot. At least its better than it was.

June 21, 2007, 2:52 p.m.

i have noticed on quite a few brand new juicy 7's that they need to be bleed out of the box or else they feel like garbage. The brake should be reasonably firm, so if it is spoungey take it back to where you got them and get them bled.

June 22, 2007, 4:11 a.m.

i have noticed on quite a few brand new juicy 7's that they need to be bleed out of the box or else they feel like garbage. The brake should be reasonably firm, so if it is spoungey take it back to where you got them and get them bled.

So they come pre-assembled so to speak?