Is Strava having trouble making ends meet during COVID?

Aug. 25, 2020, 9:09 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

This was my WBP park day last month, laughable at the very best

Lol using your phone? My Garmin is pretty accurate when loaded to Strava. I know because I'll drop into a trail when my ride timer hits an even number like :00 or :30 then when im at the end of the known segment ill look down and see the time, usually its within a few seconds.

Aug. 25, 2020, 10:45 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Anybody else noticed weirdness with strava timing lately? I started my recording at 6:26 tonight, fucked around for a few minutes, got to the top of the climb at about 7:05, no stops and rode it clean so I figure somewhere around 37min or so. However, the results show 48min total and 31min moving time. Like wtf is going on there?

I assume their algorithm looks at the time you first arrive near the start of a segment, and then looks at your position data to see if you are consistently moving away from that point in the right direction to determine your start time. If you're hanging around not moving, and your GPS data is noisy enough, it could trigger the start, even though you haven't gone anywhere yet.

It's probably just that your phone wasn't getting a great signal. I doubt it has anything to do with Strava's app or server side processing. They just crunch through whatever position data the hardware provides.  As UFO's ride log shows, they don't seem to do a great job of filtering out what is obviously noise and interpolating to fill in the blanks.

Last edited by: PaulB on Aug. 25, 2020, 10:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 26, 2020, 1:14 p.m.

Looks like Trailforks just did a Strava.... Going forward, a paid subscription will be required to access trail info outside your home area.

Last edited by: rhw on Aug. 26, 2020, 1:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 26, 2020, 3:39 p.m.

Posted by: rhw

Looks like Trailforks just did a Strava.... Going forward, a paid subscription will be required to access trail info outside your home area.

Where you seeing this? I looked on PB/TF websites, app, instagram didn't see anything?

Aug. 26, 2020, 5:31 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Where you seeing this? I looked on PB/TF websites, app, instagram didn't see anything?

In the latest iOS app update. FAQ link:

https://www.trailforks.com/pro/faq

Aug. 26, 2020, 7:11 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Lol using your phone? My Garmin is pretty accurate when loaded to Strava. 

Yeah. I just keep strava for fun so i really dont care. But this phone's gps is pretty good with day to day use. I had better Strava reads with an old phone a couple of years ago that had known GPS connectivity issues. That old phone gave me a couple of KoM's so who am I to argue

Aug. 26, 2020, 9:23 p.m.

So many of us won’t be able to use Trailforks even in our local area. Nice. 

Where does the “Pro” money go?

Aug. 27, 2020, 6:03 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

So many of us won’t be able to use Trailforks even in our local area. Nice. 

The only time I really use TF is when I am travelling. At home I know the trails better than TF does. **sigh**

Aug. 28, 2020, 7:26 p.m.

this is only for the app, the website portal will remain free to use. I find the website much better for checking out new riding areas and possible routes, it's not so great to do that in the app on a tiny phone screen.

Personally I think 18 bucks per year is very fair for the platform that they provide. It costs money to maintain servers and people to do the work. With the explosion in user numbers and trails and all of the newer funtionality, it was a matter of time before their small crew of a few developers wasn't going to be big enough.

I wish it could remain free forever, but that's just not reality.

Edit: hmmmm, not sure why my profile suddenly shows just one post... oh well

Last edited by: KevinB on Aug. 28, 2020, 7:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 28, 2020, 7:52 p.m.

Re: trailforks. Don't disagree but unless I've missed it they've been a bit sneaky on the roll out.....

Sept. 2, 2020, 2:19 p.m.

I guess the timing was a bit off or it was a soft launch, they did a full press release etc this week. I bought in for the $18CAD/year. I've used TF so much over the years to my benefit (and still do), especially looking at popular trails in new areas and how riders link them up via ride logs. Also very useful for navigation in new or confusing (Valleycliffe) areas.

Sept. 2, 2020, 3:05 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

I guess the timing was a bit off or it was a soft launch, they did a full press release etc this week. I bought in for the $18CAD/year. I've used TF so much over the years to my benefit (and still do), especially looking at popular trails in new areas and how riders link them up via ride logs. Also very useful for navigation in new or confusing (Valleycliffe) areas.

I think it's smart the way they've done it. Build up a huge user base and then offer a very reasonable subscription rate. The monthly rate is cheap enough that most people will never even notice they're paying for it.