is aluminum nearly dead?

Aug. 11, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

I hear the 2015 S-works demo will be coming in at $12 000 USD. My guess is that the vast majority of people will still demand a cheaper aluminum bike.

The S-Works has always been ultra high end. There are aluminum frames for 2015 for the Demo. Same design as previous but 650b.

:canada:

Aug. 11, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

i know i was in one shop in Squamish last week and dude told me they don,t stock 26" tires anymore and that the 27.5" is the shit and your missing the boat if you are not riding one , my response i will stay on land and enjoy my 26" . .

I can't believe a shop would neglect a large segment so much. Not every body buys a new bike every season. Still lots of 26" bikes on the trails.

Pretty much forcing people to buy online.

Aug. 11, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

I can't believe a shop would neglect a large segment so much. Not every body buys a new bike every season. Still lots of 26" bikes on the trails.

Yeah - that's nuts. My reply would have been "Guess I'll check if CRC still stocks them."

Aug. 11, 2014, noon

I think at very high end carbon has taken over but manufactures like Santacruz and others still make aluminum versions of many of their frames. 26 wheels however are done. I have not ridden a 650 bike so I can't say that one is better than the other. But it seems that is way things are going. At the shop the other day and was told last year they couldn't keep 26 purgatory tires in stock. This year they sold few. Maybe that tire is not popular anymore but still, the bikes on the floor are mostly 650 and 29. Tires too. Anyone wanna buy a used 26 Nomad c?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 11, 2014, 2:12 p.m.

Punky Sr just ordered an alloy 29er. Better tell him to cancel his order:lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 11, 2014, 2:15 p.m.

It's a great time to buy "obsolete" technology at 50% of last year's cost and have 98.7% as much fun.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 11, 2014, 2:18 p.m.

You know what's hard to put a price on? Not wincing every time I put a fresh scratch on my alloy frame.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 11, 2014, 2:30 p.m.

I ain't no hater. Got alloy, steel, and plastic in quiver.

Think it might be time to look at adding some Ti though:smokey:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 11, 2014, 3:16 p.m.

I ain't no hater. Got alloy, steel, and plastic in quiver.

Think it might be time to look at adding some Ti though:smokey:

That's the spirit!

Aug. 11, 2014, 3:17 p.m.

I bought my wife a minimally used well speced Blur LT 26" er for 500 bucks. man thats cheap for what you get.

MTB world is really fad driven

Aug. 11, 2014, 6:30 p.m.

yay the biggest shop in town as well a lot of arrogance in that shop as well

#northsidetrailbuilders

Aug. 12, 2014, 8:47 a.m.

I love shops that give the big 'fuck you' to the customers that just dropped thousands of dollars on a 26er that that kid probably sold to them last year or the year before! I'm a DINK (dual income no kids), and Jesus man I'm not even close to replacing my carbon bike with another carbon bike that has a slightly larger wheel. It's illogical.

BTW, NSBS has the biggest selection of Maxxis rubber in all sizes I've seem

The 26x2.4 DHR2 EXO has just come out in Supertacky. I think the Luddites will be fine for a few more years, judging by how fast companies like Maxxis change ;-)

Aug. 12, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

I don't think AL is dead but it looks like it will be relegated to the lower end bikes/models. Kinda like what Santa Cruz is already doing with their line up. I still think there is progression to be made with AL but you'll probably only see the smaller companies jumping into that.

As far as ride goes I gotta say I was a doubter but I love my Evil Uprising frame. Super burly, light, pedals well and takes a big beating. I'm still on season1 so I can't comment on long term durability but I have buds with older Nomad C's that are a couple seasons old and no problems. NOT siked on the higher prices though.

Don't even get me started on 650b…

Aug. 12, 2014, 10:38 a.m.

I think a bigger concern is what happens to the remaining boutique brands? Santa Cruz was ahead of the curve with carbon. But the Knollys, Intenses, Turners… In the world of Demo's and V10's a $9k alloy bike feels a bit anachronistic. Right or wrong, now when I see an alloy bike I think budget or prototype.

Aug. 12, 2014, 12:56 p.m.

I think a bigger concern is what happens to the remaining boutique brands? Santa Cruz was ahead of the curve with carbon. But the Knollys, Intenses, Turners… In the world of Demo's and V10's a $9k alloy bike feels a bit anachronistic. Right or wrong, now when I see an alloy bike I think budget or prototype.

Jeff Steber @ Intense mentioned this in a couple of interviews. He's in the middle of switching over to same model as SC, with carbon at the high end (like the T275) and alloy more for price-point bikes. Said that the long term survival of his company pretty much depended on it.