Is a fox 34 worth an extra 300 bucks

April 18, 2013, 10:03 p.m.

Ok, back story, I am building up my dream ht 29er. I already have the deposit on the frame. I am 200 lbs. and ride pretty much every thing. No big drops.

I have the ability to get a Revelation 32 RCT solo air 140mm 15 mm axle fork for 400 less than a Fox 34 float CTD or Talus 15mm.

I have ran a Talus 36 160 for the last 7 years on my 26" bike with zero issues. That fork is awesome, I am leaning to getting the Fox but I need the input of you NSMB gear heads for my own validation.

Thanks for the help.

April 18, 2013, 10:08 p.m.

i'd go with the revelation. in fact, i am :)

i've never ridden an rct solo air, but in my experience the high end rs dampers [HTML_REMOVED] ctd

now if they made an rc2 version of the 34…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 18, 2013, 10:10 p.m.

bigger chassis…

April 18, 2013, 10:29 p.m.

Rockshox.

I've been riding a Revelation Worldcup 150mm 15QR since May of last year. It's been amazing, low maintenance, and has never failed me. I'm about 185lbs or so and try and ride often…so I've put some time on the fork.

$400 could be spent towards the continuation of building a dream 29r!

Twitter: Stephen_matthws
Instagram: stephen_matthews

April 18, 2013, 10:48 p.m.

Yeah more pro SRAM here. Really wish I'd waited for the Pike.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

April 18, 2013, 11 p.m.

Rockshox.

I've been riding a Revelation Worldcup 150mm 15QR since May of last year. It's been amazing, low maintenance, and has never failed me. I'm about 185lbs or so and try and ride often…so I've put some time on the fork.

$400 could be spent towards the continuation of building a dream 29r!

i'd go with the revelation. in fact, i am :)

i've never ridden an rct solo air, but in my experience the high end rs dampers [HTML_REMOVED] ctd

now if they made an rc2 version of the 34…

Opinions I respect. Thanks.
I know Boom has seen me chase him down foreplay so the riding style is similar. I guess I may be buying my first Rockshox since a set of Quadra 21R's in 95. I am curious and a bit excited.

April 18, 2013, 11:09 p.m.

At 200lbs, you could really benefit from the larger diameter stanchions. Both forks are good options, but the combo of your weight and 140mm travel on a 29er casting means that a 34 might be the better option.

I'm on a Pike right now, and really like the fork but it is not available until later this year. It is a solid offering against the Fox 34.

April 18, 2013, 11:14 p.m.

my suggestion as a 215 pound human would be to wait for a pike. granted not an apples to apples comparison but on gnarlier trails I found my 26" revelation wasn't the ultimate in confidence. obviously depends what and how you're gonna ride, as I thought the fork was great on smoother stuff with less downward angle.

overall I will say rockshox forks have treated me well.

Check my stuff for sale!

April 18, 2013, 11:32 p.m.

At 200lbs

i didn't take our weight difference into account in backing the rev - i was focusing strictly on the dampers. you've got about 50 lbs on me ash, so chasis stiffness should probably be a consideration whereas for me it's not so much

that said, i haven't compared them all-things-being-equal but i've ridden both a rev with a 20mm axle and a fox 34 and don't notice much of a difference between them stiffness wise, honestly. on the other hand my 36 owns them both when it comes to holding a line through chunder

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 19, 2013, 9:06 a.m.

I tend to ride everything except Bike Park, the usual steeps, all three shore mountains, Whistler and Squam as well.

I think that I need to ride the 32 to see if there is any noticable flex before making a decision. The idea of a 140 mm Pike is almost tempting to wait for, because what is 3 months when I tend to buy and hold bikes for 5-7+ years before thinking of replacement.

I bet that the Pike will be as expensive as the Fox 34 though.

April 19, 2013, 9:14 a.m.

I am on a 140mm 29er Revelation Dual Air an my Trail/AM 29er, 20mm Maxle version.

I like the fork. It is light and relatively plush. It has the dual flow rebound damper and a regular MoCo with Floodgate for compression.

I am 175 lbs and it is sufficient. While braking there´s quite a bit of flex going on. But it is very rideable.

With the Pike on the horizon and the 34 in the shops already, I definitely would pony up for the burlier fork though, especially if you don´t upgrade all the time and are not a hobbit.

The fork is almost as important as the frame for the overall feel of the bike.
A good full suspension 29er can get scary fast in rough terrain. Better not "underfork" it.

If you already owned a Revelation the cost/performance ratio might not be worth it. But if you go all in…

I´ll pluck the Revelation from my Stumpjumper frame and build a Kona Honzo or something like it as a singlespeeder. Reduce travel to 120mmm and it probably will serve me well for a couple of years.

My "dream AM 29er build" will then get a Pike or 34.

April 19, 2013, 11:47 a.m.

I'd be all over the burlier chassis if I were you. I'm heavier than you but not by much and I have a ton of time on 29er versions of Fox Float 32, Fox Float 34 and RS Rev RCT3. The Fox 32 is an absolute wet noodle, the Rev falls in between the Fox 32 and 34 and the 34 is pretty close to a 36 until pushed really hard. I have owned and ridden all of these forks on my TallboyC and all were set at 100-120mm depending on what I felt like riding. I can't imagine riding hard on the Fox 32 or Rev set at 140mm. The A-C of these forks at 140mm is very close to a Boxxer or Totem so they are long, spindly forks that will twang and twist like crazy.

Go for the Fox 34 or RS Pike!

April 19, 2013, 1:38 p.m.

I would go for the stiffer fork.

I'm 245ish and riding the Rev Dual Air 20mm TA on my Honzo. And I don't shy away from drops or jumps on this bike.
It is a decent fork for riding the stuff in the Sea To Sky (I'm in Whistler). But I do find the fork does get overwhelmed quickly once I pick up speed in chunder/tech.
I also find the fork really easy to flex torsionally when I need to change lines in the chop. There is a lag between the the turning of the handlebars and the follow through with the wheel when in medium paced super tech lines.

I'm waiting on the new Pike to swap out the Rev.

Again, I'm a big guy and ride all the same trails outside of the park on my Honzo as I do on my Knolly Delirium (which has a totem). When I go for ride on my Honzo with the Rev fork after I've been riding my Knolly for awhile I find it takes me a little bit to get used to how much flex there is when compared to the Totem. Yes, that is like comparing apples to hamburgers but there you have it.

April 19, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

good news!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Fox-Racing-Shox-Changes-its-Tune-CTD-Gets-More-Compression-Dampi.html

The original CTD forks had a tendency to blow through their travel and mush around under braking would solve the problem by switching to the firmer 'Trail' option and use its adjustable low-speed compression feature to address the fork's deficiency. The resulting fix returned the favor with a harsher-than-optimal ride.

so true

The new tunes return the fork's mid-speed smoothness and more importantly, provides much-needed ride height stability under braking and descending situations.

so we might get rc2 like performance… but maybe not… and without the adjustability… maybe best to hold out until the reviews are back or 2015?