Is 9spd done?

Dec. 17, 2011, 7:39 a.m.

I miss 8 speed :(

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Dec. 17, 2011, 7:50 a.m.

granny gears for racing make perfect sense but most of us ride for fun and involves some stopping. I prefer to mash the gears and get a better workout. 1x10 is going to make you stronger.

Is that what the big S told you to do?

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Dec. 17, 2011, 9:15 a.m.

Yes… They have been telling me how to pedal bikes for over 15 years.

:canada:

Dec. 17, 2011, 11:12 a.m.

I'm gonna try out one of those cheap shimano 12-36T 9 speed cassettes :)

now its raining / snowing here in the UK, I find my 1 x 9 bike just a little overgeared with the 11-34T, when climbing on softer ground and its a lot cheaper / easier to change the cassette than the front chainring

Dec. 17, 2011, 11:42 a.m.

LOL..I love you guys…some good entertainment here.

Dec. 17, 2011, 6:42 p.m.

could be slightly narrower because the chain and chainring spacing is narrower, so a 9 speed chain could rub.

There also could be a bit of difference due to the maximum chainring size the derailleur is targeted at, but I don't think it'll make a big enought difference to notice.

If you currently have an XT front that's a triple width, it'll work with a 10 speed dual, but you'll have extra spacing that you don't need and that can cause some slop issues.

You can run 10 speed chains on 9 speed rings, but the opposite can cause rub because the chain is too side for the chainring spacing.

You could get 10 speed cranks, and keep your derailleur, but you'll want to change the chain and the front shifter as the 10 speed has tighter spacing between rings.

)

The 10 speed cranks and 9 speed cranks are identical. The rings are the same distance apart. The ramps and pins are different to pick up the narrower chain. And I imagine that a ten sped front derailleur may be a bit more narrow that the 9. That is the case for sure with road. I have mixed and matched 9 and ten speed "cranks" and rings with no issues other than having to get a 10 speed front derailleur for the road bike. The diff was about 3mm. Big diff in performance.

On one bike I had old 9 speed RF 24 X 36 rings with a triple 9 spd derailleur, 9spd chain and cassette. Worked fine. Went ten cassette and chain and it worked the same. Once available I got the two speed front derailleur and it did work better. Now I have the 9-10 speed rf 24 X 36 rings and it works a bit better. Both my set ups are two by ten. Both use a triple crank as opposed to a two ring specific crank. XTR trail on one bike and Sixc on the other so in effect I am running a small ring and middle ring. Both have the two speed XTR front derailleur.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Dec. 17, 2011, 6:56 p.m.

The 10 speed cranks and 9 speed cranks are identical.

We just need another 4 more people saying this, and another 6 pages of crap, and I think the message might become clear :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 17, 2011, 7:03 p.m.

Yes… They have been telling me how to pedal bikes for over 15 years.

figures they would be wrong about that as well.

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

Dec. 19, 2011, 1:45 p.m.

10 speed is awesome for 1x10. 32x36 and you can climb anything.

I bought this line when I was putting together my last bike. Went home to my local trail and proceeded to push 90% off a trail that I normally clean 100% of using a granny.

I'm not Kabush, (and we should keep in mind that none of us are), but I do race XC and for me the 1x setup didn't work. Even when I found a really mild grade climb, after a few hard loops I was wishing for a granny. Epics of any kind were totally out.

I think a truer statement would be something like "1x10 is always more painful and less efficient, but ok if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where all you ever have to climb is a consistent mild grade, once.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Dec. 19, 2011, 2:06 p.m.

I bought this line when I was putting together my last bike. Went home to my local trail and proceeded to push 90% off a trail that I normally clean 100% of using a granny.

I'm not Kabush, (and we should keep in mind that none of us are), but I do race XC and for me the 1x setup didn't work. Even when I found a really mild grade climb, after a few hard loops I was wishing for a granny. Epics of any kind were totally out.

I think a truer statement would be something like 1x10 is always more painful and less efficient, but ok if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where all you ever have to climb is a short consistent mild grade.

That's why I went with a 28/36…yeah I spin out on some really fast trails…but I can climb just about anything with this setup.

Dec. 19, 2011, 3:59 p.m.

….climb just about anything …

your def'n of anything must by pretty limiting or you include walking as part of climbing
bet you can't clean Nimby, Windy Pass or Camel Pass in 28/36 non-stop without putting a foot down

Dec. 19, 2011, 4:16 p.m.

your def'n of anything must by pretty limiting or you include walking as part of climbing
bet you can't clean Nimby, Windy Pass or Camel Pass in 28/36 non-stop without putting a foot down

Yeah…my drive train would not limit that…my weak ass legs would be the weak link in that situation…lol.

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:15 a.m.

pfffft 10spd.

Get with the times, 12 speed is coming down the pipes.

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2011/12/fresh-goods-a-12-speed-road-drivetrain-because-11-wasnt-enough/

Dec. 20, 2011, 10:47 a.m.

I've been looking at KCNC's stuff (or at least the CNC stuff…) for a while, and some of it is pretty rad. It'll be interesting to see what they do with drivetrain stuff. I'm more interested in moar competition then moar gears though. I don't know if they have a Canadian distributor though?

treezz
wow you are a ass