iPhone X and Trailforks / Smartphones and biking

Feb. 18, 2018, 6:42 a.m.

Hi,

anyone here who owns an IPhone X and is a mountainbiker?

I am hesitant to admit it, but smartphones changed my biking habits quite a bit. I don’t carry paper maps anymore and the hiking store with the local 1:25.000 maps is no longer the first stop I do when traveling to a new region for biking holidays.

Map apps (OSM based) and Trailforks are so great, detailed and convenient that my hit rate for scouting great trails have improved dramaticallly over the last couple of years. Especially true in the Alps and Pyrenäe mountains with their incredibly old and countless smuggling and hiking trails.

My iPhone 5s served me well for almost five years. Dropped it lots of times, accidentally dunked it in water two times, and it continued to work, but it’s starting to shut off randomly and is not very fast anymore. Even with a recent battery swap.

I am shut into Apples ecosystem and too lazy to change all my apps and will use my next phone for as long as possible, so I am able to swallow the high prices and even their totalitarian attitude.

For Trailforks I’d love maximum resolution and screen real estate. The iPhone 8+ doesn’t fit into the easily accessible pockets of my Camelbaks though. So I am thinking about an IPhone X or the regular iPhone 8.

I don’t know how Trailforks does work with the notch on the X - if it’s unoptimized it probably won’t offer much compared to an regular 8.

The 8 is blazingly fast. I had the impression that the Trailforks app was getting sluggish and bloated, because of all the new functionality. But it’s just my iPhone 5s. I tried Trailforks on my buddy’s 8 and it’s absolutely responsive without any hiccups.

I don’t really know how bike related this topic is, but it’s a) gear and b) I’ll use it mostly for biking.

And I am sure there must be some snobby, privileged metro vancouverian bikers here which are already bored with their first day iPhone X and fed up with certain niggles and how it doesn’t pair up with their AMG car hifi 100% or when they regularly swap between several 100.000$ cars. For once I’d be thrilled for the insight of these real estate lions :)

Cheers

Znarf

Last edited by: Znarf on Feb. 18, 2018, 6:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 18, 2018, 8:24 p.m.

I have an iPhone X, it works well with Trailforks and it doesn’t pair 100% with my Mercedes’ infotainment system, text messages no longer display on the car’s navigation screen as they did with the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 I had previously.

Feb. 18, 2018, 10:37 p.m.

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Thanks a lot for your feedback!</span>

I’ll get one then and am already looking forward to a fresh phone experience :)<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;"> </span>

Feb. 24, 2018, 3:23 p.m.

If you're buying iPhone 8 then yes don't go with Plus its way to big size to fit in the pocket. I've been using the iPhone X for about a month and it's really beautiful and fast. And since it's released on Apple's 10th Anniversary I guess it's better to go with X instead of the another-iPhone model, 8. And new iPhones are pretty strong I have had already dropped my phone a couple of time no scratch yet :)

David Shah
getappvalley.com tutuappx.com tweakbox.mobi

Last edited by: davidshah on Feb. 25, 2018, 12:17 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 24, 2018, 4:49 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

I have an iPhone X, it works well with Trailforks and it doesn’t pair 100% with my Mercedes’ infotainment system, text messages no longer display on the car’s navigation screen as they did with the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 I had previously.

same thing happens with my lambo

Feb. 24, 2018, 6:19 p.m.

Posted by: skidrc

same thing happens with my lambo

My man.

Apple watch 3? Just got my wife one, duly impressed. Makes me feel like a luddite dragging an entire phone around on rides.

Feb. 24, 2018, 8:22 p.m.

I have the watch series 2 paired with my x and it’s been great.  Had I not gotten the stainless version of the watch, I would have likely traded up to a series 3 but as things are, I will wait for the next version to upgrade

Feb. 25, 2018, 7:39 a.m.

I guess my shoe phone is outdated huh?

March 22, 2018, 7:09 a.m.

If you want to use any Torrent website without in use of Kickass proxy then using a VPN is necessary for you. because every mass and it shows that you are accessing this torrent website from any other country.

March 22, 2018, 11:06 a.m.

I have an iphone 6 plus and it fits in my pocket just barely. A couple things I've learned the hard way.

1. Woodro made a good point a while back that if you ride alone and keep your phone in your pack you might not be able to reach it if you're seriously injured. You should keep it in your pocket if possible but you'll need to protect it.
  2. Lifeproof cases are not at all crushproof in a mountain biking context.
  3. Otterboxes can be good but not waterproof/sweatproof. Even condensation through your shorts can damage your phone.
  4. The best case I've found is https://www.catalystlifestyle.com/ Tough as hell, definitely crushproof and still pretty thin. I don't know if it's as submersible as presented, but it's kept my phone dry and happy for a few seasons. It's also relatively easy to get the phone in and out of the case if you don't want to use it full time. Use the little port plug - it's possible to get tiny rocks jammed into the data port - I learned this the hard way.

I love this technology though I hate Strava. I love the independence made possible by Trailforks and not having to rely on tribal knowledge to find trails. Trailforks has an awesome ride recorder app that grabs basic ride data.

Last edited by: craw on March 22, 2018, 11:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 22, 2018, 1 p.m.

Catalyst cases say 3.3ft waterproofing for 30mins. Plus they sell a floating lanyard. 

I know a regular iphone 6 w/ Lifeproof case doesn't fit in the inner media pocket of all three of my ski jackets :( and I needed to switch to a lower thigh pocket to use on my mtn bike shorts.  Also doesn't fit into the media pocket of road cycling jerseys either. 

Had the soft plastic home button cover on a Lifeproof case burst from heat while down south this winter.

March 26, 2018, 2:55 p.m.

I use a Lifeproof Fre for my iPhone 7 when I'm riding in the bike park (more crashes) but I just put the naked phone in my shorts pocket when trail riding, no issues with moisture/rain. Same for skiing, outer hardshell pocket, the water reistance is good enough.

March 26, 2018, 4:34 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

I use a Lifeproof Fre for my iPhone 7 when I'm riding in the bike park (more crashes) but I just put the naked phone in my shorts pocket when trail riding, no issues with moisture/rain. Same for skiing, outer hardshell pocket, the water reistance is good enough.

The one time I forgot to put my phone in the Catalyst case I fell on my side on Cypress, right on my phone. When I took my phone out of my pocket all the glass fell off it like powder.