Indoor Bike Storage Solutions?

May 11, 2011, 1:35 p.m.

I'm looking at getting one of these Gear-Up stands.

There's an oak one, as well as an identical one out of aluminum that's basically a giant extrusion.

Oak

Alloy

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 11, 2011, 1:41 p.m.

shirk.. is that a 2x6? (a bit hard to tell at the angle)
wondering because i need something of this sort in my new place.

Yes a 2x6. I used long lag bolts into the studs. Forget what size bolts, but ones that need a wrench not just a phillips head.

Make sure you hit the studs. The tires will mark up the wall. If it's rental make sure you put something between the tires and the drywall.

I have the end bike set up that I needed to turn the bars side ways to take up less space and fit them all in. It was the least used bike.

May 11, 2011, 3:21 p.m.

Thanks for the info Shirk. What are the wheel hooks that you are using?

May 11, 2011, 3:31 p.m.

Yes a 2x6. I used long lag bolts into the studs. Forget what size bolts, but ones that need a wrench not just a phillips head.

Make sure you hit the studs. The tires will mark up the wall. If it's rental make sure you put something between the tires and the drywall.

I have the end bike set up that I needed to turn the bars side ways to take up less space and fit them all in. It was the least used bike.

Thanks for that.:beer: I was thinking of putting a 2x4 at the bottom for the wheels to bounce off of. Just have to figure out if the wheelbases on all 3 bikes are close enough to make it worthwhile.

Are those just standard home depot rubberized hooks?

May 11, 2011, 3:31 p.m.

Thanks for the info Shirk. What are the wheel hooks that you are using?

Bicycle hooks. Get them from Rona or any hardware store.

May 11, 2011, 5:20 p.m.

I use the bike hooks from rona, 3 bucks each if I remember correctly. I just mounted them directly to the wall studs.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 11, 2011, 6:18 p.m.

I did mine similar to shirk, except minus all the wood work. Just used a stud finder and away we go. No tires rubbing against the walls and the studs are placed far enough apart that the bikes don't touch. The old MEC pole-mount holder just holds panniers and bike locks now - or I sometimes use it for a bike repair stand.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

May 11, 2011, 6:47 p.m.

This is the first one I built in our place.

I've built a second version in our temporary home that does not screw to the wall and is self standing. Will take some pictures of it tonight.

Every time I see an 05' Stinky I think of the Banshee Scream

May 11, 2011, 7:07 p.m.

I wish I had pics of my "manshed" right now….15x30 of mechanical goodness…

back to hanging bikes,the joists are at 10' in the manshed.

-go to marine store
-buy as many cleats and pulleys as you have bikes
-score some used climbing rope off your dirtbag climbing buddy
-attach pulleys to joists however you must (18 inches from wall)
-fabricate wheel hooks
-figure out the rest of this set up (if you can't,hire a real man to finish it for you)
-??????
-bikes hung.

Pastor of Muppets

May 11, 2011, 7:31 p.m.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442507577[HTML_REMOVED]FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302889390

I put one of these in my dining room with a road bike ,I am happy with it

May 11, 2011, 7:52 p.m.

I wish I had pics of my "manshed" right now….15x30 of mechanical goodness…

back to hanging bikes,the joists are at 10' in the manshed.

-go to marine store
-buy as many cleats and pulleys as you have bikes
-score some used climbing rope off your dirtbag climbing buddy
-attach pulleys to joists however you must (18 inches from wall)
-fabricate wheel hooks
-figure out the rest of this set up (if you can't,hire a real man to finish it for you)
-??????
-bikes hung.

I used some pulleys and ropes to hang bikes before I went to the set up pictured. Royal pain in the ass because I was trying to hang them over other bikes. Sucked getting them down. I actually fit more bikes and stuff into the same space with the above set up.

May 11, 2011, 7:55 p.m.

I used some pulleys and ropes to hang bikes before I went to the set up pictured. Royal pain in the ass because I was trying to hang them over other bikes. Sucked getting them down. I actually fit more bikes and stuff into the same space with the above set up.

not a problem when you have a manshed….no bikes on the floor.

Pastor of Muppets

May 11, 2011, 8:22 p.m.

Resurrection!

I ended up getting a floor rack free from work. It's pretty crap but…..free, and free is good.

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 11, 2011, 8:41 p.m.

do you live in a hair salon?

May 11, 2011, 10:10 p.m.

do you live in a hair salon?

Well spotted :lol:

My wife has a salon set-up in our live / work apartment.

treezz
wow you are a ass