I'm old, and I don't understand anything anymore

June 4, 2021, 6:42 a.m.

Well, one more member of the band picked up an instrument again last night.  Buddy stopped by to show off his new devinci troy.  Wow, 29ers feel weird.  And are about the same wheelbase as my F350.  The bottom bracket height, holy crap that's low!  And the chain angles!  And the paper thin plates on the chains!  I was wondering why people were talking about wearing out a couple chains per season.  No wonder.

June 4, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

It all works better by at least a generational leap IME and  you get used to riding over everything

June 12, 2021, 9:22 p.m.

Screw it, I'm gonna ride the giant until a deal of the century pops up.  Went out to tzouhalem tonight and was hitting drops and gaps I wouldn't have done when I was 15 and invincible.  Holy crap am I stoked.

June 13, 2021, 12:17 p.m.

Heck yeah, rock that AC1! Old bike on the new trails sounds like a good time.

Used bike prices are ridiculous right now anyhow. Was just looking at 2015 and up Reigns to suggest, but prices on this once cheap and ubiquitous bike are now like 3k+. 🤯

June 14, 2021, 8:29 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Heck yeah, rock that AC1! Old bike on the new trails sounds like a good time.

Used bike prices are ridiculous right now anyhow. Was just looking at 2015 and up Reigns to suggest, but prices on this once cheap and ubiquitous bike are now like 3k+. 🤯

It's absolutely insane how demand has caused old crappy bikes to double (or triple) in perceived value. There are going to be a lot of new riders thinking this sport is a total rip off in 6 months, when it's time to refresh forks/brakes/drive trains that are 4/5 used up.

Last edited by: mammal on June 14, 2021, 8:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 14, 2021, 10:39 a.m.

I ride my old mtn bike 3 blks to the bar and it still an old piece of shit, i don't know why people cum in their shorts over this old stuff but if you want a laugh get onto the "Vintage Canadian mtn bike" for FB, a bunch of people trying to get $$ for old bikes and old shit hanging in their garage, that old junk in a box, that old pair of green tires you took off your bike 25yrs that yer wife keeps telling you to thro out ... its all now vintage,

it took me 2 years to sell a 15 yr old (3200 $ new) cannondale for 500$ cuz I had to wait for the FOMO of the yearly bike swap to get any action atall, I didn't think too seriuosly about hanging on to the bike cuz my first thot was how many of these components are just about to break and then what do I do ... thro money at a bike thats worth 500$ in a good year

The new bikes are just SO MUCH WAY BETTER i do this for fun so why would i want to ride a 15yr old bike ?

exception would be riding to the bar to get tipsy ( different fun) the 86 marin does have pretty good geo for riding no-hands

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 14, 2021, 10:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 14, 2021, 1:34 p.m.

80’s mountain bikes make excellent cruisers/haulers and are packed with style. 

$500 90’s NORBA geo bikes make better CX race bikes than $500 CX bikes do, and again, bring some style to the equation. 

90’s bikes also make good fast commuters, pump track bikes or even mellow trail riding bikes with the right parts swaps too. 

And practical reasons aside, nostalgia is a thing. I couldn’t afford a new Altitude in ‘93 (still can’t) but I CAN afford a 93 Altitude now.

June 14, 2021, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

80’s mountain bikes make excellent cruisers/haulers and are packed with style. 

$500 90’s NORBA geo bikes make better CX race bikes than $500 CX bikes do, and again, bring some style to the equation. 

90’s bikes also make good fast commuters, pump track bikes or even mellow trail riding bikes with the right parts swaps too. 

And practical reasons aside, nostalgia is a thing. I couldn’t afford a new Altitude in ‘93 (still can’t) but I CAN afford a 93 Altitude now.

My current gravel bike is basically 1991 NORBA geometry (71/73) but with a rigid carbon fork and 29" wheels and it's perfect.

June 14, 2021, 2:39 p.m.

80's mtn bike has no suspension and its still > 30lbs, its fucking heavy but the weight is un noticable apres a couple of IPA's

I also have been touring a late 90's HT but wheelsizes got bigger and so buying a bike with bigger wheels would be faster

last week a post on Vintage Mtn bike FB " hey how about this one looks pretty good! price check ?! "

uh yeah thats a dept store bike someone calls out

BUT a < 3 yr old enduro bike is still its own thing

June 18, 2021, 9:25 a.m.

One of my buddies works with a guy who has a 2014 Aurum 6.3 that he wants a G for.  It's 10 years newer than my bike, the seller did a few chairlift days per year with it, and the price seems right.  Bearing in mind that I'm currently riding an 04, do you think this is a good interim bike?  I still want to buy a newer one, but prices are pretty out of hand, and I'd like to be on something a little more modern...sort of ease into current geometry as it were.

June 18, 2021, 9:38 a.m.

I just want to see a photo of that Giant AC1. I love old bikes. If I was in your neck of the woods I would probably offer up some cash for it!

June 18, 2021, 9:41 a.m.

Posted by: Greasyone

One of my buddies works with a guy who has a 2014 Aurum 6.3 that he wants a G for.  It's 10 years newer than my bike, the seller did a few chairlift days per year with it, and the price seems right.  Bearing in mind that I'm currently riding an 04, do you think this is a good interim bike?  I still want to buy a newer one, but prices are pretty out of hand, and I'd like to be on something a little more modern...sort of ease into current geometry as it were.

Are you planning on doing any pedalling? A friend of a friend bought the same bike last spring, but he never comes riding with us because he doesn’t enjoy pushing it up the hill. He’s been looking for a trial bike pretty much since he bought the aurum. If you’re shuttling a lot then it’s probably going to be great!

June 18, 2021, 11:01 a.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

Are you planning on doing any pedalling? A friend of a friend bought the same bike last spring, but he never comes riding with us because he doesn’t enjoy pushing it up the hill. He’s been looking for a trial bike pretty much since he bought the aurum. If you’re shuttling a lot then it’s probably going to be great!

Yeah I pedal up, is it really that bad?  One of my friends rides an aurum, and he usually only pushes up the hill when he's smoking a dart.  Once he finishes he's back on and pedaling.

June 18, 2021, 4:51 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

I just want to see a photo of that Giant AC1. I love old bikes. If I was in your neck of the woods I would probably offer up some cash for it!

It won't be for sale though, it'll keep kicking around as a loaner "first hit is free" bike.

June 18, 2021, 6:41 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

It won't be for sale though, it'll keep kicking around as a loaner "first hit is free" bike.

Love it! Thanks for the photo!