I'm old, and I don't understand anything anymore

May 15, 2021, 10:32 p.m.

How does that thing carve on pavement?

May 16, 2021, 7:20 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

How does that thing carve on pavement?

It loves to go straight with that square tire!

Really easy to get up out of a rut though, and perpetual trackstanding is easy as pie.  Killer in snow and thick mud too.

May 16, 2021, 9:15 a.m.

the local builder sometimes uses a 2 wd Rokon to get tools around the bluff trail area

https://www.rokon.com/

May 16, 2021, 8:42 p.m.

A 98 TW200 just went up for sale on FB Moto B&S Group located in Campbell River

May 16, 2021, 11:40 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

Seriously dropper posts are probably the most important innovation on mountain bikes since hydraulic disc brakes.

I use my dropper more on a single flat trail ride than I ever used a front derailleur. I just put my old external dropper on my 9 year olds bike and it has been a revelation for him. He sees the light!

Get a PNW or a transX (pnw are made by transX). You will not regret it.

I have never felt this way.

My full suspension bike went through two expensive, heavy, droppers that I never got enough extension with anyway and had a QR for anyway.

After the second post stopped working, I put in a fixed post and it’s been fine.

Everything I ride I pedal up to, stop and lower my seat, and descend. I know others have more rolling terrain than me, but for SFU, Burke, and woodlot, I don’t miss my dropper.

I’m even considering selling the dropper in my new frame to help offset the cost.

Last edited by: Cheez1ts on May 16, 2021, 11:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 17, 2021, 10:43 a.m.

I think the new long wb/ 29 bikes were just so good that i didnt necessarily need the seat dropped so at first i forgot to use it, cuz i am old and forgot as opposed to didnt understand

So i got used to using it more, we got flowing switchbacks & tight hairpins on the local trails so it works here for me, there are a number of tight DH hairpins the dropperpost helps me get down

edit: front/rear & dropper are fox, IME its great stuff

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 17, 2021, 11:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 17, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

Seriously dropper posts are probably the most important innovation on mountain bikes since hydraulic disc brakes.

I use my dropper more on a single flat trail ride than I ever used a front derailleur. I just put my old external dropper on my 9 year olds bike and it has been a revelation for him. He sees the light!

Get a PNW or a transX (pnw are made by transX). You will not regret it.

I have never felt this way.

My full suspension bike went through two expensive, heavy, droppers that I never got enough extension with anyway and had a QR for anyway.

After the second post stopped working, I put in a fixed post and it’s been fine.

Everything I ride I pedal up to, stop and lower my seat, and descend. I know others have more rolling terrain than me, but for SFU, Burke, and woodlot, I don’t miss my dropper.

I’m even considering selling the dropper in my new frame to help offset the cost.

Consider the possibility that these two inadequate droppers have negatively affected your impression of the whole concept. If your dropper worked well and offered enough drop and was reliable you might be singing a different tune now.

May 18, 2021, 8:40 a.m.

I love this thread, I'm in the same boat as you Squamch but without the budget for a new bike.  When my 7yr old gets a bit older I could see myself trying to piece something together.  I have dreams about rebuilding my Balfa Minuteman frame for him but by the sounds of this thread, it's probably not worth it, and maybe not possible.  

And who knew 27.5 was on the way out, I wasn't around when it came in!  And boost, I don't even know what that is!  Haha.  When I left the sport in 2010 I don't remember hearing much about dropper posts, but everyone is totally on board in this thread.  Neat. 

Welcome back, and thanks everyone else for the insight on the new stuff.

May 18, 2021, 9:29 a.m.

2010 was roughly when the first decent posts came out. The KS Lev was my first. It ran an external cable and while finicky to set up it worked really well for me.

27.5 isn't going anywhere. It fell out of favour as 29er geometry got figured out and was then presented to the masses as the one solution. Though dual 29" bikes are bit much to handle for smaller riders which is why the mullet is becoming so popular. 27.5 still makes a lot of sense for many riders - it's not going anywhere.

May 18, 2021, 9:52 a.m.

Posted by: Straw

I love this thread, I'm in the same boat as you Squamch but without the budget for a new bike.  When my 7yr old gets a bit older I could see myself trying to piece something together.  I have dreams about rebuilding my Balfa Minuteman frame for him but by the sounds of this thread, it's probably not worth it, and maybe not possible.  

And who knew 27.5 was on the way out, I wasn't around when it came in!  And boost, I don't even know what that is!  Haha.  When I left the sport in 2010 I don't remember hearing much about dropper posts, but everyone is totally on board in this thread.  Neat. 

Thanks man!  I remember you from way back when.

I don't exactly have a budget for a bike, just a projected budget lol.  

Yeah, over 26 was for road bikes, and 24s were what you ran if you wanted strong wheels😅.

Part of my motivation is to get my 3.5 year old stoked on bicycles, he's already ripping his 50 and hitting jumps, so I want him to have a chance to go hard on 2 wheels quietly too...and for dad to be able to keep up.

Craw- the mullet?

May 18, 2021, 11:32 a.m.

Mullet is 27.5 wheel in the rear, 29 in the front

Probably not too different than 24/26 you just alluded to

May 18, 2021, 5:51 p.m.

Posted by: Greasyone

Thanks man!  I remember you from way back when.

I don't exactly have a budget for a bike, just a projected budget lol.  

Yeah, over 26 was for road bikes, and 24s were what you ran if you wanted strong wheels😅.

Part of my motivation is to get my 3.5 year old stoked on bicycles, he's already ripping his 50 and hitting jumps, so I want him to have a chance to go hard on 2 wheels quietly too...and for dad to be able to keep up.

Craw- the mullet?

If you live near a a decent BMX track, take your 3.5 year old there. I took my kid to our local track 

at 3.5 and started him on the half track. 

He is now 27  and pretty much stoked on bicycles:)

May 18, 2021, 6:26 p.m.

👍

My daughter learned to ride a two wheeler on a BMX pump track

May 18, 2021, 8:24 p.m.

That Minuteman would be fun to put together and ride. Biggest challenge will be finding a straight steerer fork. Other than that I’d rock it.

Like Craw said, 27.5 isn’t going anywhere. 29 is sorted for us taller riders - I finally don’t feel like a circus bear on my bike? But shorter riders are still served well by smaller wheels, I still want a smaller wheel bike for screwing around at the pump tracks.

May 19, 2021, 12:25 a.m.

That Minuteman would be fun to put together and ride. Biggest challenge will be finding a straight steerer fork. Other than that I’d rock it.

Like Craw said, 27.5 isn’t going anywhere. 29 is sorted for us taller riders - I finally don’t feel like a circus bear on my bike? But shorter riders are still served well by smaller wheels, I still want a smaller wheel bike for screwing around at the pump tracks.

Damn about that 27.5 thing. Got my kid and me identical used Kona Process 165ers last year. Whatever.... I want to ride that thing into the ground, and my kid can ride that as long as size S fits him. 

Same with my big bike, a Kona Operator from 2019 with ... 27.5 wheels...guess I buy second hand again in ... what ... ten years from now.  

Stubborn Old Me refuses to like 29er wheels. Tried a few from buddies but them bikes feel awkward.