I'm old, and I don't understand anything anymore

May 8, 2021, 8:53 a.m.

Compared to new tech and i' going to say bikes from the last 3-5 yrs, IMO nothing on a 20yr old AC1 is relevant or worth keeping

modern Geo with longer WB/ shorter stems/ steeper seat posts/ slacker head tubes/ tubeless 29/ 1x/ longer WAY better travel/ dropper posts/ carbon frames is all the new stuff

unless you are lucky enough to find a 3yr old garage queen if you get something too old besides the geo being all wrong the parts will be worn out

I see alot of new entry level FS Giant hereabouts probably cuz we got a giant dealer in town and cheap price

there is alwasy someone older than you out thar

May 8, 2021, 9:36 a.m.

Posted by: Greasyone

My budget is currently laughable, but grows with every hour of OT and side work. Might even buy me a dogebike.

$3000 is a hard cap on my budget. Sub $2500 would be even better, but I understand the current situation.

For now, I've got some new brakes coming, and I'll get some better pedals next.

I'm also pretty stuck on a large frame, I'm 6'1" so I figure a medium will be pretty cramped.

Sounds like something that's 3-5 yrs old and adding an angleset may be the way to go. Aluminum and 27.5 will help the budget a lot as well.

May 8, 2021, 12:45 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

My budget is currently laughable, but grows with every hour of OT and side work. Might even buy me a dogebike.

$3000 is a hard cap on my budget. Sub $2500 would be even better, but I understand the current situation.

For now, I've got some new brakes coming, and I'll get some better pedals next.

I'm also pretty stuck on a large frame, I'm 6'1" so I figure a medium will be pretty cramped.

Sounds like something that's 3-5 yrs old and adding an angleset may be the way to go. Aluminum and 27.5 will help the budget a lot as well.

Welcome back, Squamch.

And that type of bike that syncro is having in mind will blow your mind.

I sort of refused to update my fleet and rode old bikes.

Been on a used 27.5 Enduro bike for a few months and I am really happy. Best decision ever. 

If you can ... Do it.

Last edited by: Mic on May 8, 2021, 1 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 8, 2021, 6:50 p.m.

My 2cents. If you got brakes on the way spend a few bucks on a decent dropper like a PNW and ride that bike this year while you try out friends bikes or rent to see what you would like. Maybe gets some new rubber.  Those parts could be sold or used later to recoup some of the cost. 

You’ll have a ride and can figure out which type of rider you will be now and not worry about finding something today.

May 9, 2021, 7 a.m.

Posted by: Poz

My 2cents. If you got brakes on the way spend a few bucks on a decent dropper like a PNW and ride that bike this year while you try out friends bikes or rent to see what you would like. Maybe gets some new rubber.  Those parts could be sold or used later to recoup some of the cost. 

You’ll have a ride and can figure out which type of rider you will be now and not worry about finding something today.

This is about where I'm at for the time being.  Just bought new brakes from the buy n sell...pretty sure the last thing I bought from there was a 5" z1 qr20 with a bolt on arch.

Carbon frames used to be "you'll crash once and tap it on a rock and it's garbage."  Is that no longer the case?

I'm going to keep trying to stack up some cash and buy at the end of summer...or when a great deal appears, or when I break my current bike.  Right now I've gotta nerd out and figure out what I want/need/can afford.

May 11, 2021, 12:56 p.m.

Carbon frames used to be "you'll crash once and tap it on a rock and it's garbage."  Is that no longer the case?

I'm going to keep trying to stack up some cash and buy at the end of summer...or when a great deal appears, or when I break my current bike.  Right now I've gotta nerd out and figure out what I want/need/can afford.

Carbon is sorted and ubiquitous these days. Haven't been hearing about it breaking on impact.

$1500+ is alot to pay for a ~1 1/2lb decrease in weight though, and it rides basically identically to aluminum.

As always, if you've got good brakes and fork on what you're riding you're probably good to go. Who knows how long before the supply lines get sorted...End of summer? Next summer? 2023?

May 11, 2021, 4:39 p.m.

Buddy just ordered a Giant Anthem X, wicked price and spec at $4k and they were confidant about a July/August delivery. 

Basically no one else could be remotely confidant about delivery dates.

Maybe hold tight and put together a little more $$ so a brand new bike is worthwhile...timelines could improve and there are a LOT of high-value bikes coming down the pipes right now.

May 12, 2021, 8:07 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Buddy just ordered a Giant Anthem X, wicked price and spec at $4k and they were confidant about a July/August delivery.

Basically no one else could be remotely confidant about delivery dates.

Maybe hold tight and put together a little more $$ so a brand new bike is worthwhile...timelines could improve and there are a LOT of high-value bikes coming down the pipes right now.

I'm gonna keep socking $$ away. For now I've got some new used saint disc's coming, a new BB (mine is crunchy), and a set of pedals with adjustable/replaceable pins instead of cast ones. Should keep me riding until a new bike follows me home.

Last edited by: Greasyone on May 12, 2021, 8:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 12, 2021, 8:34 p.m.

Don't forget a dropper!

May 14, 2021, 7:07 a.m.

Don't forget a dropper!

Faaaaack they're expensive!  And I need a break at the top anyway before I drop my seat, using my ancient technology "quick release".

May 14, 2021, 8:09 a.m.

You'd be surprised how amazing a dropper is. I've been riding since the pre-dropper days, I even still have a hite-rite in a box somewhere. I consider a dropper indispensable.

May 14, 2021, 9:49 a.m.

For me it was as much a game changer as disc brakes.

May 14, 2021, 10:56 a.m.

I would never own another mountain bike without one, aside from a dedicated DH bike.

Its greatest benefit is not at the top or bottom of the hill, it's on trails like Ladies only where there's a punchy climb 3/4 the way down or Baden Powell which meanders up and down the entire way. In the past we rode those uphill sections with our seat down and just stood up and it was horrible but now we press a button and we're in perfect climbing position. Not to mention when you're riding a new trail and there's a short climb / descent out of nowhere and by the time you realize you're fully in it it's too late to stop and QR your seat height.

It's one of those things that makes sense in theory but doesn't fully click until you've had one and then there's no going back IMO.

May 14, 2021, 1:40 p.m.

Look I would want to ride a rigid bike with a dropper before a full suspension without one, but I don't know if makes sense to drop 300 dollars on an externally routed dropper in a weird post size that won't be compatible with your next bike. Maybe see if TransX has something that would work for under 150 dollars? Otherwise I'd just get a nice quick release.

May 14, 2021, 3:19 p.m.

Don't forget a dropper!

Faaaaack they're expensive!  And I need a break at the top anyway before I drop my seat, using my ancient technology "quick release".

What size your seat tube?