I'm looking for a commuter, steel. Maybe some touring in its future too.

Feb. 23, 2011, 3:21 p.m.

Hey Team.

I'm looking for a commuter bike that may get some touring duties in the future. I need rack and fender mounts, and prefer steel.

I was looking at a Rocky Mountain Sherpa, and I liked it because it looked retro and not flashy, and was a Reynolds frame. Price is a factor…Jenson had a RM Sherpa for a great price, but it's been sold recently.

Masi has some interesting options, but I know nothing about road/track companies.

I don't need Reynolds, but I like the idea of quality steel.

What's out there?

Feb. 23, 2011, 4:03 p.m.

Sherpa looks really nice. Long Haul Truckers would be a similar and popular option. In terms of touring what were you thinking? If you want to do something overnight or a couple of week long trips almost anything can be made to work (ie any commuter, especially if it has mounts for front lowrider racks.) If you are thinking longer than that I would have some comments and I would argue that something like the Sherpa might not be the best option though it would certainly work.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Feb. 23, 2011, 4:28 p.m.

A few years ago I had a bike mechanic course in Ashland, OR. I biked there from Victoria, but ran out of time and had to bus it the last part of the way.

I've wanted to complete that trip, and dip my wheel into California. We'll see if I ever do. So, nothing too crazy and def nothing over a week.

Feb. 23, 2011, 4:39 p.m.

Norco Kwest
Brodie Elan
Kona Sutra

Most MSRP about $1000-1400

Posted via Mobile Device

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Feb. 23, 2011, 4:48 p.m.

A few years ago I had a bike mechanic course in Ashland, OR. I biked there from Victoria, but ran out of time and had to bus it the last part of the way.

I've wanted to complete that trip, and dip my wheel into California. We'll see if I ever do. So, nothing too crazy and def nothing over a week.

Probably any of the mentioned bikes will work then. I think for extended touring 26 inch wheels are the way to go but this bike sounds like it will be seeing way more commuting action where 700c wheels are probably better.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Feb. 23, 2011, 5:01 p.m.

pick up apes' ronin for 250 and build that up .

if it fits , of course .

Feb. 23, 2011, 5:02 p.m.

let's see…

I'm looking for a commuter bike

May get some touring duties in the future

I need rack and fender mounts

I liked it because it looked retro and not flashy

Price is a factor

I like the idea of quality steel

90's steel hardtail ftw

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 23, 2011, 5:42 p.m.

Norco Kwest
Brodie Elan
Kona Sutra

Most MSRP about $1000-1400

Posted via Mobile Device

I really, really liked my Sutra.
It even survived when I got t-boned by a pickup.

Feb. 23, 2011, 6:32 p.m.

I don't like the idea of slow-handling touring bikes, so I have a BOB trailer to hook up to my road bikes. Since I only do one or two true bike tours a year, it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated touring machine that only handles well loaded up.

flickr

Feb. 23, 2011, 7:53 p.m.

All the $500-$1000 commuters are in roughly the same boat. They'll have minor differences of priorities (eg. discs instead of an external BB) and you should figure out which ones match your priorities best.

That being said, the $1000-$1500 bracket gets you into some shit where you might actually get quality steel without massive compromises elsewhere. Though for my money, with a utilitarian commuting+touring bike, the quality of the steel isn't as important as bike nerds would have you believe.

Just buy a Surly/Soma/Pake/whatever you think is pretty and run that shit into the ground. And don't be afraid of flat bars if you're on a budget, brifters are expensive compared to traditional shift/brake setups.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Feb. 23, 2011, 9:27 p.m.

Steelwool Tweed

Feb. 23, 2011, 9:47 p.m.

Nice shirk!

And skid, Ape's bike is too small. I'm in the 58/59cm range.

Feb. 23, 2011, 9:50 p.m.

Steelwool Tweed

I've a friend with one of those. Currently has it built as a roadie with plans to convert it to an internally geared commuter when funds allow for the puchase of another frame. Heavy, with all those braze on's and gewgaws, but it rides well; a versatile frame set for sure.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 23, 2011, 9:51 p.m.

Canadian company too, I see. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Feb. 23, 2011, 10:35 p.m.

Not my bike. Just pimping a small Canadian company.