If You Put A Flat Bar On A CX Bike Does That Make It 29er???

Jan. 6, 2017, 9:16 a.m.

I wish they made bars wider than 46. Coming from a Mtb back ground I find them way way too narrow.

Flare really helps make drops "fit" wider. Salsa Woodchipper and Cowchipper, Ritchey VentureMax, Easton AX, etc.

Or the Crust leather bar at 66.6cm…

flickr

Jan. 6, 2017, 2:16 p.m.

If you put a drop bar on your mountain bike, does that make you John Tomac?

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/01/a-chat-with-a-legend-20-questions-with-john-tomac/

Jan. 9, 2017, 4:02 p.m.

Most cross riders ride technical stuff on the drops, particularly descents. Lower centre of mass. I think the widest drop bar is a 46 but there are also flared out adventure bars that are a lot wider. Might be a better compromise than a flat bar. https://ritcheylogic.com/venturemax-handlebar

Flared bars make a huge difference. I have bars with a 12 degree flare, and even that amount increases control in technical situations (plus jumping) by a tremendous amount. Might be less aero, but I am definitely never going back.

Jan. 12, 2017, 12:13 p.m.

Done. Ish.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 12, 2017, 12:17 p.m.

Pic?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 12, 2017, 6:45 p.m.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

Jan. 12, 2017, 7:59 p.m.

Looks good - perfect gravel grinder

Edit: needs spds

Jan. 14, 2017, 3:56 a.m.

Looks really nice. Got SPDs planned?

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 14, 2017, 6:54 a.m.

Took the spd off. Tried riding with them for a few months and did one race. Can't ride with them.

Jan. 16, 2017, 12:35 p.m.

The bike was great for the Blubber Burn event. I however was terribly out of shape.
I was amazed by how many CX racers had tubes in their tires…. People all over the place fixing flats.
My brother and I ran tubeless and had no problems. I hit the rim hard on a few rocks and just kept on riding

Jan. 17, 2017, 12:57 p.m.

Took the spd off. Tried riding with them for a few months and did one race. Can't ride with them.

Interesting. I have never thought about riding on pavemment without SPDs.

I have SPDs on my commuter which is similar to your bike, just with an inexpensive suspension fork. I have flats on my mountainbike. I find the SPDs are helpful while pedalling for long hours without any technical riding. I could not imagine riding technical singletrack with SPDs, although I am always thinking about giving it a try for real. Am scared of being clipped in and not being able to get off the bike in a turn or a jump if things went wrong.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 17, 2017, 3:22 p.m.

The bike was great for the Blubber Burn event. I however was terribly out of shape.
I was amazed by how many CX racers had tubes in their tires…. People all over the place fixing flats.
My brother and I ran tubeless and had no problems. I hit the rim hard on a few rocks and just kept on riding

My favourite event of the year!

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

June 6, 2017, 2:44 a.m.

Depends how you define "29er" I guess - Looks like a fun bike though, just be a tad careful of the steep XC-style head angle if you try riding steep trails...

June 7, 2017, 11:01 p.m.

That looks pretty awesome. Especially with the dropper.

June 8, 2017, 1:44 a.m.

If you do keep the drop bars but still want the dropper you can rebuild a SRAM LH shifter to actuate a cable post (take out the indexing)...