If You Put A Flat Bar On A CX Bike Does That Make It 29er???

Jan. 2, 2017, 1:29 p.m.

Nope, it makes it a hybrid.

A fun fast one, but a hybrid nonetheless. NTTAWWT.

Jan. 2, 2017, 1:35 p.m.

It might be ridiculously short. For example, my mountainbike has a ETT of 585 versus my road bike at 530.

This. You lose approximately 3 feet of reach by swapping to a flat bar.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Jan. 3, 2017, 9:13 a.m.

The bike is used for CX racing and putting around town. I just find the drop bars so uncomfortable.

You'll need new brake levers and shifters too in all likelihood. Is the drop bar too low? Could a different stem and drop bar be a solution? Being short I prefer the compact 3TTT or FSA drop bars. Less reach and less drop combined with an 80 mm plus 6° stem equals comfort for me. I have a couple cm of spacers under the stem too. If you can't ride your cross or road bike on the drops comfortably something is wrong.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 3, 2017, 9:41 a.m.

You'll need new brake levers and shifters too in all likelihood. Is the drop bar too low? Could a different stem and drop bar be a solution? Being short I prefer the compact 3TTT or FSA drop bars. Less reach and less drop combined with an 80 mm plus 6° stem equals comfort for me. I have a couple cm of spacers under the stem too. If you can't ride your cross or road bike on the drops comfortably something is wrong.

The bar is too narrow and I don't enjoy riding technical stuff on the hoods. Hands go numbing.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Jan. 4, 2017, 8:43 a.m.

Most cross riders ride technical stuff on the drops, particularly descents. Lower centre of mass. I think the widest drop bar is a 46 but there are also flared out adventure bars that are a lot wider. Might be a better compromise than a flat bar. https://ritcheylogic.com/venturemax-handlebar

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Jan. 4, 2017, 11:23 a.m.

I run wide bullhorns which still gives me the same hand postion of being in the hoods for longer streaches but I can then go to regular hand position when its more tech

Oh and Hope six pot DH brakes just cuz I had them lying around

Jan. 4, 2017, 1:21 p.m.

If the fit works, go for it. I remember Andrew Major saying the 59 cm Kona drop bar bikes always fit him well as flat bar bikes. Best way to test fit, without committing to a new shifter and brake levers, is in a trainer.

flickr

Jan. 4, 2017, 7:08 p.m.

Turbine flat bar, Rival 1x11 bar mount shifter and 4" dropper on order. Pulled a pair of Avid speed dial brake levers out of the parts bin.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

Jan. 4, 2017, 7:12 p.m.

Getting ready for this!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1855184701397290/?ti=cl

Jan. 4, 2017, 8:02 p.m.

That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun there Heathen. I've been contemplating a dropper on my CX bike for a couple of years now…if only I rode it more…

Bar advice: wide bars are awesome, better fit for me and better control in the rough. Descending in the drops is actually better than on the hoods, better braking power, arms as suspension, better grip on the bars etc. modern road/cross bike fit has just changed to be based on riding the hoods more than the drops since STI took over. If you set your bike up so it's comfy in the drops and with a bar that fits your body, and nice and wide a drop bar can be amazing for cross riding and racing.

I wouldn't race with a super flared bar or bullhorns - there's too much rubbin' (and tangled up crashing) in racing for pokey handlebars. I've struggled to get past dudes with dirt drop style bars and they're a pain in the ass, particularly in tight corners. I ruthlessly shut the door on guys guy after I get around, and I'm generally overly nice about letting folks through. Also tradition.

Jan. 4, 2017, 8:04 p.m.

Heathen: If you're taking off the drops I'd SS your bike as well…unless you really like penalty shots…and savage heckling.

Jan. 5, 2017, 6:58 a.m.

That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun there Heathen. I've been contemplating a dropper on my CX bike for a couple of years now…if only I rode it more…

Bar advice: wide bars are awesome, better fit for me and better control in the rough. Descending in the drops is actually better than on the hoods, better braking power, arms as suspension, better grip on the bars etc. modern road/cross bike fit has just changed to be based on riding the hoods more than the drops since STI took over. If you set your bike up so it's comfy in the drops and with a bar that fits your body, and nice and wide a drop bar can be amazing for cross riding and racing.

I wouldn't race with a super flared bar or bullhorns - there's too much rubbin' (and tangled up crashing) in racing for pokey handlebars. I've struggled to get past dudes with dirt drop style bars and they're a pain in the ass, particularly in tight corners. I ruthlessly shut the door on guys guy after I get around, and I'm generally overly nice about letting folks through. Also tradition.

I wish they made bars wider than 46. Coming from a Mtb back ground I find then way way too narrow. I will probably chop the flat bar to 26".
I am not worried about the hipster fixies heckling me for the flat bar.

Jan. 5, 2017, 7:19 a.m.

Turn the drop bars up. Then you can carry the old school 12 pack of stubbies when they come back into style.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 5, 2017, 10:29 p.m.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO6L4YAlWgH/?taken-by=daquan

Who supplying Norco bikes to Atlanta?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 6, 2017, 9:08 a.m.

Flat bar cross bikes with big tires. So hot right now.