If price was not a factor...would you do AXS?

Would you run AXS?

Cables? Where we are going you don't need cables
33.3%
Just leave my shifters and cables as they are
66.7%
Total votes: 12
April 7, 2019, 11:50 p.m.

Wondering if peeps would actually go for AXS if price was not involved? I see it from both sides

PROS

-It's awesome

CONS

-You have to charge your bike - this seems really annoying. I ride my bike with stuff slightly out all the time and think...I better fix that when I get home. Remembering to charge your derailleur seems counter to the simplicity of a bicycle.

-If anything stops working on the trails it is an expensive and difficult piece of kit to jerry-rig

-If anything breaks, it will be almost impossible to find any replacement parts in any store anywhere

-1st generation kit often has serious growing pains. I know they claim it is future proof but I remember when XTR brake levers were also shifters (mountain STI). Where did that go?

Thoughts?

April 8, 2019, 5:36 a.m.

Bikes and batteries don't mix. I'd forget to charge them anyway. Now, if we could use the energy from braking to power the shifters, then maybe.

Still, I'd rather have cables and something Jerry-riggable.

April 8, 2019, 6:25 a.m.

Already got it... shifting is sublime... its just another battery to charge.   No big deal for me.   Yes, its expensive but its the future.   As for 1st gen. product issues, yes this is a consideration but SRAM has been in the wireless drivetrain game for several years now so AXS is hardly new technology...

April 8, 2019, 7:27 a.m.

No batteries on the bike apart from my GPS and my night lights when needed. I will stick to cables and levers.

April 8, 2019, 8 a.m.

IMHO it's a smart move to lift the roof of the high-end mtb market another, what is it, $2K?. Great for middle-aged men with too much money and too little time! ;-)

April 8, 2019, 8:41 a.m.

Hell yes, I would do it in a heartbeat. Instead of talking about shit I don't know on the Internet I would actually try the tech before spewing off about it.

April 8, 2019, 9:05 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Wondering if peeps would actually go for AXS if price was not involved? I see it from both sides

PROS

-It's awesome

CONS

-You have to charge your bike - this seems really annoying. I ride my bike with stuff slightly out all the time and think...I better fix that when I get home. Remembering to charge your derailleur seems counter to the simplicity of a bicycle.

-If anything stops working on the trails it is an expensive and difficult piece of kit to jerry-rig

-If anything breaks, it will be almost impossible to find any replacement parts in any store anywhere

-1st generation kit often has serious growing pains. I know they claim it is future proof but I remember when XTR brake levers were also shifters (mountain STI). Where did that go?

Thoughts?

You don't have to look too hard to find plenty of things on the modern mountain bike that seem counter to the simplicity of a bicycle.

April 8, 2019, 9:48 a.m.

Posted by: rhw

IMHO it's a smart move to lift the roof of the high-end mtb market another, what is it, $2K?. Great for middle-aged men with too much money and too little time! ;-)

Saw a $10k+ bike the other day. It had a GX Eagle cassette and XT brakes. And no motor.

I'd do it, If it didn't cost me anything. Though I'd prefer it was Shimano.

Last edited by: nouseforaname on April 8, 2019, 9:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 8, 2019, 3:28 p.m.

Would run if cost wasn't a factor.

April 8, 2019, 7:04 p.m.

If it was free I’d be running it already. 

If it cost the same as analog XT and Shimano made it I’d buy it when my current drivetrain dies.

April 8, 2019, 7:07 p.m.

Posted by: nouseforaname

Posted by: rhw

Saw a $10k+ bike the other day. It had a GX Eagle cassette and XT brakes. And no motor.

I'd do it, If it didn't cost me anything. Though I'd prefer it was Shimano.

I like a lot of what modern wife-range drivetrains have to offer but can’t believe how we’ve just come to accept million-dollar wear items like cassettes.

You can pry my 10-speed XTR shifters from my cold, dead hands.

April 8, 2019, 8:57 p.m.

I'm running

Posted by: tashi

I like a lot of what modern wife-range drivetrains have to offer but can’t believe how we’ve just come to accept million-dollar wear items like cassettes.

The sram 1150 11-speed cassette is all steel and is about $150. It lasts a pretty long time. Not the lightest but is reasonable value. Not sure if there is a 12 speed equivalent.

April 9, 2019, 7:54 a.m.

If cost was not a concern I would not be concerned with the price of replacement parts either.  I would probably do it because it never needs cables or adjustment.  I just changed the derailleur and shift cable on my FS bike and have had it with moronic internal cable routing.  My bike isn't that bad compared to some of the shit shows out there.

April 9, 2019, 9:17 a.m.

I’m very good at recharging phones and Garmins. Pretty rare that I run out of power unless the battery is old and lacks capacity. The big big advantage of electric shifting is that it eliminates cable routing friction. Many bikes have very poor cable routing which results in poor shifting performance. All those curves and bends in standard mechanical shift set ups equal friction and potential issues. I’ve often had the same drivetrain on a hardtail and full suspension rig and the hardtail with fewer bends shifts better.

April 9, 2019, 10:19 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

WTF is "wife-range" ?