Ideal north shore do it all bike

Dec. 24, 2016, 10:06 p.m.

I honestly think my specialized enduro 29 is a pretty damn good do it all bike, for the sea to sky region at least. We have very little legitimate XC trails around here… most stuff is big climb up to big/steep descent, and I think the E29 is the perfect bike for that. It climbs great (for a bike with 160mm travel) and is almost just as capable as the 26 inch DH bike I recently sold. I don't do any big drops or gnarly stuff though. The E29 has a huge range of use, which is why I love it.

YUP - same for me in my E29. Im looking to supplement it with a DH bike because, like you said, I dont do the big stuff on it either. Outside of that, I think that its the perfect'ish bike for the Shore.

Dec. 25, 2016, 12:34 a.m.

Grab a 26er hardtail what else do need for the shore.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 25, 2016, 5:12 p.m.

Wreckoning fits the profile as well IMO

No idea. Haven't ridden one so no comment. Would be purchasing blind. And the whole rear shock situation…

They're all good though, aren't they?

This.

Buy something then be a dick about it.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 25, 2016, 6:40 p.m.

Grab a 26er hardtail what else do need for the shore.

This. Except now I'm on a 27.5 Stylus, same shit

Dec. 25, 2016, 6:52 p.m.

This. Except now I'm on a 27.5 Stylus, same shit

No no. It's game changing!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 28, 2016, 5:59 p.m.

Does anyone here have any experience with Ghost bikes? They're a big brand over in Germany, and are sold exclusively through MEC in Canada.

http://www.ghost-bikes.com/en/bikes/fully/bike/sl-amr-x-5-al/

The SLAMR x5 is the more burly version of their SLAMR trail line, and look to be a nice fit for the north shore.

150mm yari
Rock shox monarch R
SRAM gx 1x11
Guide R brakes
67 head angle

Lasts years model was just under $4000 CAD so I'm assuming it will be around the same, haven't seen prices yet.

Dec. 28, 2016, 7:02 p.m.

Does anyone here have any experience with Ghost bikes? They're a big brand over in Germany, and are sold exclusively through MEC in Canada.

http://www.ghost-bikes.com/en/bikes/fully/bike/sl-amr-x-5-al/

The SLAMR x5 is the more burly version of their SLAMR trail line, and look to be a nice fit for the north shore.

150mm yari
Rock shox monarch R
SRAM gx 1x11
Guide R brakes
67 head angle

Lasts years model was just under $4000 CAD so I'm assuming it will be around the same, haven't seen prices yet.

Well, I'll be as fair as I can (ha!):

Regarding the buying experience, you might well get a bike that was built up by an experienced mechanic, checked over by another experienced mechanic and generally be totally dialed. On the other hand…..you might get the bike that was built by someone in the Clothing Dept who hasn't ridden a bike in 10 years and who is only building bikes because the store manager is freaking out about the numbers of bikes in boxes (it's not like they are going rotten in there….). Test ride - you might get an experienced mountain biker who will get you on the right bike and set up the suspension for you….or not. Toss a coin….

As for the bikes themselves, the old AMR range was pretty solid although not very exciting. A few issues with cracked chainstays but nothing out of the ordinary. The Riots were a bit of a joke with bushings that would prematurely wear but at least these new AMRs don't have the 'Riot' link so that's good. Do they run on bushings to save weight though? If they do, I'd be asking about the warranty on those.

So yeah, may as well check them out if the price is good. I'd be asking a million questions though for peace of mind. There are some good people in the Vancouver store.

Heads up!
Smile!
Multi-member service!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 28, 2016, 10:01 p.m.

I had thought that all of the Ghosts were being replaced by the "affordable" Intense range at MEC…

I noticed that the ones at the North Van store are heavily discounted.

-Gord

Dec. 28, 2016, 10:08 p.m.

I had thought that all of the Ghosts were being replaced by the "affordable" Intense range at MEC…

I noticed that the ones at the North Van store are heavily discounted.

-Gord

I was told they were being cleared out and the 2017s were meant to come in January, alongside the "affordable" intense bikes..could be wrong though! I thought it was somewhat of a joke that the cheapest Intense bike at MEC seems to be over $5000..