Ideal north shore do it all bike

Dec. 13, 2016, 5 p.m.

I had an RA last year, and rode a TA for the past 3 months. I've decided to stick with the RA for next year, but I may go with a set of 2.3 tires instead of 2.5. Tires were the most noticable difference between the two.

Yupl. I'm going the same way. Long travel, light wheels and tires. I'm currently on a mission to see how little rubber I can get away with. I can see the benefits of approaching it from the other way too- starting with a trail bike a d beefing it up, but I've found I just can't hack short travel.

Rideitall is not wrong about technical climbing sucking with the Reign and lots of pedal strikes. Although I was surprised to find that I was able to adapt to this and it somehow no longer bothers me.

I like Grambo's idea of going '16 Reign to save some $, AND you'll get a travel adjust fork which makes the bike sooo much more capable and comfortable on long non-technical climbs.

Personally I found both the Reign and Range to be absolutely stellar bikes. Never ridden a Sight. Didn't care for the old Trance geo. Too tall, long in back for me. New Trance looks neato.

Fun quest you're on. Good luck

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Dec. 13, 2016, 6:46 p.m.

RA pedal strikes can be reduced with the right (moar!) pressure in the shock. Unless you're a Clydesdale on a 2017 with the 250 psi max X2. doh!

but yeah, you've got to keep your wits about you if you don't want to mash up your pedals.

Dec. 13, 2016, 7:05 p.m.

Yeah I guess the real question is do I want a longer travel enduro bike and lighten it up and make it climb better, or do I want a trail bike to beef up a bit and make it descend better. Just a personal preference I guess. I may just have to go take a short ride on both and see which one feels at home from the get-go…but judging that I'm currently on an old AC with double crowns.. I'm guessing ill feel more at home on the reign.

I've heard that not being able to add bottomless tokens into a dual position fork can be a deal breaker.. I'm 6ft 210lbs so I'm guessing I'd need some without going so high on the air pressure.

Dec. 13, 2016, 10:07 p.m.

See if you can demo a Range. It's a stellar bike for the North Shore, and climbs better than the Reign in my opinion.

Dec. 14, 2016, 12:38 a.m.

A couple thoughts:

The Reign is a great bike, it'll blow your mind how capable it is when pointed downhill, you'll still have fun on mellow trails and it's absolutely acceptable for climbing. You'll really like it around Vancouver and love it in Whistler (valley trails). That said, it doesn't offer the super snappy, yet a little sketchy feeling a true light (Carbon bling) trailbike offers. But it also is much more durable and gives loads of confidence.

You're not small and not super light however. The Reign has a short shock stroke for it's amount of travel. They also come with a M/M tune on the Monarch plus, which is not ideal for heavier gents. I bet the one with the float x2 rides worlds better, because the mid stroke is tremendously better than the monarch's. The shitty 250psi max limit might make it unridable still for your weight, or at least get close to the limit.
A vivid coil with a bit more bottom out resistance tuned in might be ideal for you!

At least that's what I discovered after putting a vivid air on to my Enduro. Or you could get the Monarch custom shimmed for your weight. Should work great and isn't that expensive.
The seat angle is slack on the Reign, but if you push the seat all the way forward it's alright. (I have a 36.6" inseam at 6ft)

I am only 178lbs, M/M tune is okay for me, but H/H would be better. I have 220psi in my Monarch plus, 200 in the vivid air (which seems to be roughly similar to the x2 pressure wise)

So, value is crazy on the Reign, I'd buy one again without hesitation (2016 Reign 1.5LTD). As a side note, I do like my Canyon strive as much, but same shock stroke means same highish leverage ratio traits. I ended up buying two similar bikes, because one broke down during a vacation and I got the Reign for a great price and bought it just to be able to make good use of the vacation anyhow. Other one is up and working again and now I have two bikes.

If I was 215lbs I'd either look for a bike with a lower leverage ratio or add 500$ for custom valving into my budget. A shock with too little compression won't feel snappy when pedaling.

Regarding trail bikes:
I've owned several high end trail bikes, Stumpjumper Carbon Expert EVO being the fanciest among them, incredibly light, nimble, super fun, also quite capable. BUT: I always end up riding the same trails, jumps and occasionally bike parks on these bikes. Then I start breaking stuff and beef them up a bit (starting with tires) and once I am back to my trusted magic Mary/rock razor or DHF/DHR combination I don't feel much of the trailbike snappiness anymore.
At 215lbs and above flimsy tires and (lightweight) carbon everything don't work out for most of my riding buddies.

If I could afford to maintain several high end bikes, I'd own a trailbike and a downhill bike. Realistically though, on a limited budget, a good Enduro will have you covered, if you've got proper trails in your area. And you've got them in western Canada.

And yes, I think the Norco has a 216x63mm shock, that might be better.

Dec. 14, 2016, 1:08 a.m.

New Trance looks neato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWvJIL2uH8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD9zlJQea98
These MBR guys don't like nothin'.

Unless it's British!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-HCFO02To
Or not…?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6y4WnHDqo
:(

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 14, 2016, 6:32 a.m.

See if you can demo a Range. It's a stellar bike for the North Shore, and climbs better than the Reign in my opinion.

Yeah, the ranges are really nice. 170mm travel seems a bit daunting for 80% trail riding but I've heard nothing but good things about the range.

Dec. 14, 2016, 8:13 a.m.

The choice of wonder bikes is legion isn't it? Range is such a fun bike. I'd happily ride that as a trail bike. Really I only favored the Reign because I'm a stravasshole, and this bike is hard to beat on the clock. That and my Reign came with a dual adjust fork which I can no longer do without.

I've heard that not being able to add bottomless tokens into a dual position fork can be a deal breaker.. I'm 6ft 210lbs so I'm guessing I'd need some without going so high on the air pressure.

It'll take tokens. They made the change a couple years back. That said, I'm 190 and only running 1 token.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Dec. 14, 2016, 8:57 a.m.

The Range is way too short for us tall guys IMO. The new Range 29er looks pretty rad but who knows what the geo will be.

Dec. 14, 2016, 9:03 a.m.

The Range is way too short for us tall guys IMO. The new Range 29er looks pretty rad but who knows what the geo will be.

been told it,s the same ride and handling feel , the head angel is 1 deg steeper as well on the 29r , should be a interesting bike

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 14, 2016, 9:21 a.m.

You should be able to get whatever For or RS shock you end up with custom tuned locally for way less than $500. More like $250.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Dec. 14, 2016, 10:14 a.m.

been told it,s the same ride and handling feel , the head angel is 1 deg steeper as well on the 29r , should be a interesting bike

Don't suppose you know if it will be aluminum or carbon only?

Dec. 14, 2016, 10:15 a.m.

Have you ridden one? I haven't sat on one yet but would be interesting to see how a large fits

Dec. 14, 2016, 10:27 a.m.

A couple thoughts:

The Reign is a great bike, it'll blow your mind how capable it is when pointed downhill, you'll still have fun on mellow trails and it's absolutely acceptable for climbing. You'll really like it around Vancouver and love it in Whistler (valley trails). That said, it doesn't offer the super snappy, yet a little sketchy feeling a true light (Carbon bling) trailbike offers. But it also is much more durable and gives loads of confidence.

You're not small and not super light however. The Reign has a short shock stroke for it's amount of travel. They also come with a M/M tune on the Monarch plus, which is not ideal for heavier gents. I bet the one with the float x2 rides worlds better, because the mid stroke is tremendously better than the monarch's. The shitty 250psi max limit might make it unridable still for your weight, or at least get close to the limit.
A vivid coil with a bit more bottom out resistance tuned in might be ideal for you!

At least that's what I discovered after putting a vivid air on to my Enduro. Or you could get the Monarch custom shimmed for your weight. Should work great and isn't that expensive.
The seat angle is slack on the Reign, but if you push the seat all the way forward it's alright. (I have a 36.6" inseam at 6ft)

I am only 178lbs, M/M tune is okay for me, but H/H would be better. I have 220psi in my Monarch plus, 200 in the vivid air (which seems to be roughly similar to the x2 pressure wise)

So, value is crazy on the Reign, I'd buy one again without hesitation (2016 Reign 1.5LTD). As a side note, I do like my Canyon strive as much, but same shock stroke means same highish leverage ratio traits. I ended up buying two similar bikes, because one broke down during a vacation and I got the Reign for a great price and bought it just to be able to make good use of the vacation anyhow. Other one is up and working again and now I have two bikes.

If I was 215lbs I'd either look for a bike with a lower leverage ratio or add 500$ for custom valving into my budget. A shock with too little compression won't feel snappy when pedaling.

Regarding trail bikes:
I've owned several high end trail bikes, Stumpjumper Carbon Expert EVO being the fanciest among them, incredibly light, nimble, super fun, also quite capable. BUT: I always end up riding the same trails, jumps and occasionally bike parks on these bikes. Then I start breaking stuff and beef them up a bit (starting with tires) and once I am back to my trusted magic Mary/rock razor or DHF/DHR combination I don't feel much of the trailbike snappiness anymore.
At 215lbs and above flimsy tires and (lightweight) carbon everything don't work out for most of my riding buddies.

If I could afford to maintain several high end bikes, I'd own a trailbike and a downhill bike. Realistically though, on a limited budget, a good Enduro will have you covered, if you've got proper trails in your area. And you've got them in western Canada.

And yes, I think the Norco has a 216x63mm shock, that might be better.

ive heard that about the reigns actually, the stock shock and tune isnt great for bigger riders, which is unfortunate because im a fit 6ft 210! shoudlnt feel like im on the upper end of things! :D

anyway, good info. I think im learning towards a more aggressive bike, hell it will just make me work a bit harder for the downs!

Dec. 14, 2016, 11:38 a.m.

Don't suppose you know if it will be aluminum or carbon only?

heard carbon forsure to start , but one guy who has ridden the bikes said he thinks there may be a alloy version later

#northsidetrailbuilders