I used my strap-on today!

Sept. 28, 2013, 4:28 p.m.

and if anyone knows how to display those, have at er, i can't figure it out.

Sept. 29, 2013, 2:49 p.m.

fenders? what you talkin bout fenders…

JBV
These look good.
Did you get these locally or order from UK?
If so, how much was shipping?

TEAM CRAFTY

Sept. 29, 2013, 5:31 p.m.

Wire stays will get all bent up with the first stick that gets in the spokes…

I think I ride a fair amount - and more in the crappy months then the summer - and on fairly technical trails…

I have replaced one wire stay (bent by stick), and have had one momentum-ending rock-in-tire incident (bent the fender itself), but in both cases I road home fine and it was [HTML_REMOVED]5 minutes to get everything going again.

I don't know if that is just luck, or the quality of the SKS fenders, or some combination of the two… Still going all the same:

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Sept. 29, 2013, 7:30 p.m.

they were quite expensive, as was shipping. an extra $20. i can't recall the total (trying to block it out ha ha) but i'm a suck when it comes to getting muddy. i like to ride, but i hate the filth. notice the front fender- i had to mod it to get it to fit due to the lack of space between the tire and fork bridge (non 650b specific fork). these things are fairly thick and heavy duty, so not light, but neither is the bike so… monday group ride is still a go for tomorrow at this point, so it will likely be a fair test of just how well they work ha ha.

Sept. 29, 2013, 7:41 p.m.

I think I ride a fair amount - and more in the crappy months then the summer - and on fairly technical trails…

I have replaced one wire stay (bent by stick), and have had one momentum-ending rock-in-tire incident (bent the fender itself), but in both cases I road home fine and it was [HTML_REMOVED]5 minutes to get everything going again.

I don't know if that is just luck, or the quality of the SKS fenders, or some combination of the two… Still going all the same:

-D

Nice. Reminds me to go find one of those for the rear when the fall rain fires up.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 30, 2013, 11:58 a.m.

Nice. Reminds me to go find one of those for the rear when the fall rain fires up.

It started life as an SKS P-Series Chromoplastic fender - once I figured out the length I needed I removed some of the riveted hard-points, drilled holes, and re-attached them just with bolts/nuts.

With the double hard-points (vs. single points on a lot of commuter fenders) the thing is 100% silent when riding even on techy trails.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Oct. 1, 2013, 12:53 p.m.

OK the ones that mount under the saddle suck. They do keep a little muck off your butt but also get kicked and dislodged when you get on or off not exactly correctly and with the saddle dropped and lots of bumps there is a sudden four stroke noise as the fenderlette catches the tire and turns inside out against the tire.

So what your saying Drew is that yes, sticks can a do mess up that rear fender on occasion. My experience ages ago with a pair of Blumels was more shocking as the front fender sucked up into the fork crown. Fortunately the fender just blew up into a bunch of hunks and I stopped fast but not over the bars unlike my buddy Will that did that on a road bike when a wire punctured and stuck in his front tire, bent his fork and slammed him on the pavement. But I have had rear fenders do that into the seat stays with no dire consequences other than a bunch of busted junk. I gave up on rear fenders when I started wearing diaper pants, AKA water resistant baggy shorts over bib shorts.

Didja know that you can use the metal in those Chromoplast fenders as an electrical conduit for a tail light run by a generator?

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 1, 2013, 1:17 p.m.

lack of space between the tire and fork bridge (non 650b specific fork).

kinda off topic but how much tire clearance do you have? If I stick a 650b wheel in my current fork i should have 10mm or so clearance and I'm wondering if that's adequate.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 1, 2013, 1:25 p.m.

Picked up one of those bender fenders this weekend at MEC. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet as I've been studying for the last week for an exam. Should get out either tomorrow or thursday though

Oct. 1, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 1, 2013, 3:41 p.m.

I'm going to be working on a new rear fender for the Commencal next weekend as we truly come into the wet season. I ride pretty much daily in winter and last year I went rear fenderless, but think I'll give it a go this year. I think there is a hybrid idea between JBV's rear and the muckynutz that hangs off the seat that'll be simple but still allow you to get off the back of the seat.

I basically built a muckynutz style front for a few bucks in plastic that's been running strong for 8 months now. Never bothered to take it off this summer. I built it a bit longer and more robust than muckynutz for daily commuting up and down BBY Mtn trails.:

Built it from one of these MEC highball sheets:
http://www.mec.ca/product/4017-567/mec-highball-sheet/?f=10+50001+50312

You could make probably 4 or 5 from a sheet.

Oct. 1, 2013, 4:09 p.m.

I've got two supremely wet rides in on the Mudhugger fenders so far. The rear fender is super sturdy, and fits 29ers just fine. Keeps legs and butt dry, but does still spray your back and top of shorts. Maybe a bit more coverage on a 26" wheel but definitely functional and you don't notice it's there. Front works like the others on the market - keeps spray out of your eyes - but has a bit more moto-style wrap. Another few rides and I'll write them up for the front page.

jbv, any particular reason you mounted the front fender on top of the fork arch?

flickr

Oct. 1, 2013, 5 p.m.

Fenders Im looking at currently are the Zefal Mudguards, SKS like DrewM has 28" 56mm, another Mucky Nutz or Marsh and a downtube fender.

SKS looks good for the Surface, and the Zefal looks like it could work for 2 squish bikes:D

Problem is finding fender solutions for all the bikes. Solution for the road bike is easy though, spin trainer.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 1, 2013, 5:21 p.m.

Keeps legs and butt dry, but does still spray your back and top of shorts. ?

That's what I was thinking looking at jbv's pic. The angle between c/s's and s/s's is somewhat larger on my Reign though, which I think will rotate the fender further rearward in it's placement over the rear wheel blocking said spray.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 1, 2013, 7:21 p.m.

I've got two supremely wet rides in on the Mudhugger fenders so far. The rear fender is super sturdy, and fits 29ers just fine. Keeps legs and butt dry, but does still spray your back and top of shorts. Maybe a bit more coverage on a 26" wheel but definitely functional and you don't notice it's there. Front works like the others on the market - keeps spray out of your eyes - but has a bit more moto-style wrap. Another few rides and I'll write them up for the front page.

Morgman. Anyone carrying these around here?

TEAM CRAFTY