I used my strap-on today!

Oct. 1, 2013, 7:32 p.m.

That's what I was thinking looking at jbv's pic. The angle between c/s's and s/s's is somewhat larger on my Reign though, which I think will rotate the fender further rearward in it's placement over the rear wheel blocking said spray.

Yeah, it's dependent on wheel size and seat stay angle. I'm running it on the Remedy 29 at the moment. Haven't shot any photos yet. Another good ride in though: keeps your butt clean, which does wonders for having a clean seat and inner thighs.

Morgman. Anyone carrying these around here?

Not that I know of, but the guys at Mudhugger are keen to ship to Canada.

flickr

Oct. 2, 2013, 12:42 a.m.

i have about 5-7mm clearance i reckon between the HD tire on my range KB and the vengeance fork bridge. very tight. did not fit the mudhugger front fender without constant contact. however, with some strategic cutting and dremeling, it fits just fine and does the same job so i'm happy with it, but sure, would rather to just have more clearance and run it underneath. a 650b specific fork or Fox product is prolly no problem.

i'm a bit up in the air on the rear fender. the coverage is excellent, the product very sturdy, however, in the river-esque conditions of last night, which were atrociously wet, i still got more spray up the back and muck on the seat than i expected. could be a function of the angle, could be the severity of the conditions, could be unrealistic to expect otherwise. do you think that adding a few inches of a plastic flap would make a difference?

Oct. 2, 2013, 8:12 a.m.

Since we're on the subject of fenders. Has anybody successfully added fenders onto a child's trailer? Google doesn't come up with much.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

Oct. 2, 2013, 10 a.m.

Since we're on the subject of fenders. Has anybody successfully added fenders onto a child's trailer? Google doesn't come up with much.

some friends of mine, on a tour from the southern to the northern ends of the americas, built fenders out of stuff they found on the side of the road for their trailer. i saw it in vancouver and it looked pretty solid and effective - apparently it went through a few iterations…

http://www.antipodes-expeditions.com/Gallery/gallery/canada/DSCN5891
http://www.antipodes-expeditions.com/Gallery/gallery/canada/DSCN5822

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Oct. 2, 2013, 11:12 a.m.

?

do you think that adding a few inches of a plastic flap would make a difference?

"Necessity is the mother of invention."

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 2, 2013, 11:31 a.m.

Not that I know of, but the guys at Mudhugger are keen to ship to Canada.

Do they have a website? Google has failed me.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 2, 2013, 12:06 p.m.

^check the first page.

Oct. 2, 2013, 12:23 p.m.

i'm a bit up in the air on the rear fender. the coverage is excellent, the product very sturdy, however, in the river-esque conditions of last night, which were atrociously wet, i still got more spray up the back and muck on the seat than i expected. could be a function of the angle, could be the severity of the conditions, could be unrealistic to expect otherwise. do you think that adding a few inches of a plastic flap would make a difference?

Last night, in very wet conditions, my legs were almost completely dry until I rode down a poorly drained riverbed multi-use gravel trail. After that I was completely soaked.

I don't think you can expect it to keep you 100% dry 100% of the time, but jumping on with a friend with no fender and seeing how wet he got just on the couple km of road to the trail head was a good indicator the fender is doing something.

Some plastic flap (yogurt container or ice cream bucket lid?) would help with the spray on your back, but would also add to the commutardedness of it all.

Do they have a website? Google has failed me.

It's because they're British and they call it a mudguard rather than a fender…

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

flickr

Oct. 2, 2013, 12:26 p.m.

Researching fenders for mulitple bikes is a lot less sexy than it sounds:(

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Oct. 2, 2013, 12:43 p.m.

It's because they're British and they call it a mudguard rather than a fender…

https://www.themudhugger.co.uk/

Thanks for the link! I see they don't have a size to fit 29ers. Aaargh.

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 2, 2013, 12:55 p.m.

fits 29ers just fine.

I really should read the whole thread before I spout off with useless questions.
:mad: Bad Buster. Bad.

Thanks btw!

Wrong. Always.

Oct. 2, 2013, 5:30 p.m.

When I worked at West Point Cycles in the early 80's we had a guy making fenders from the wide Esge fenders. He cut off the inside lip from a pair and glue a strip of plastic over the seam of the two sides to make a wider fender. I never bought those then but some folks did. Still crappy because they wire stays were way smaller than the ones Drew has which are reasonably good. Syncros made the first decent fenders with aluminum u shaped stays about the diameter of a pencil. Very stout but their attachment consisted of clips that would release in the event of a stick going through the spokes which was pretty much a few times every ride. Therefore we all zip tied the fender to the stay. The holes needed to do that weakened the fender which often broke at the holes. Fenders never seem to be perfect, hence I hate the damn things.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Oct. 2, 2013, 7:07 p.m.

I never used fenders until last week. I was given an SKS X-Blade 28/29" fender by Spokes in CR when I purchased my bike and with the heavy rain as of late I have put it into use. The only flaw is it rotates from time to time and becomes out of alignment with the tire. Although it may not be particular pleasing aesthetically, having a clean dry butt/back is worth it. Also, keeping the dropper post clean and the seal mud free might prolong its life. I find the Mucky Nutz in the front doesn't do much in terms of keeping the mud out of my face, but it keeps the fork seals clean. This may be due to the slightly bigger wheels. I think it needs to be about 2-3 inches longer in the back.

Oct. 2, 2013, 7:35 p.m.

First ride with the bender fender: I'm sold. Sure, my legs got more than the usual amount of mud, but my face was practically spotless, compared to my buddy. What this means to me is that I don't really need to worry about stuff being flicked into my eyes during a wet ride

Oct. 2, 2013, 10:36 p.m.

The only flaw is it rotates from time to time and becomes out of alignment with the tire.

A strap-on must be mounted tightly to provide riding pleasure. Mine only rotates if I fall on it. :|

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.