I Spec B to bar mount

March 18, 2022, 1:29 p.m.

I've changed brakes from Shimano (I Spec B) to Formula Cura and want to mount my I Spec B shifter and modded left shifter as dropper lever to my bar.

So far I've found some 3D printed ones on ebay from Estonia which work but are plastic and have cracked.  

Does anyone know of any aluminium ones? Problem Solvers make some but think they're only for I Spec 2 not B.

March 20, 2022, 5:24 a.m.

Why not Formula Mix-Master? There’s an I-Spec B-Version.

Formula, Hope, and Magura share the same clamp dimensions so there are certainly options. I’ve used Formuka with Magura and opposite.

Depending on how you run your lever angle you may find the Magura version puts your shifter in an un-ergonomic place, but it definitely works.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 20, 2022, 5:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 20, 2022, 5:33 a.m.

Here’s what the Magura looks like.

Didn’t have a picture of Formula installed on Magura but I’m sure I did it on CTK’s bike.

Here’s WolfTooth Magura mount on Formula.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on March 20, 2022, 5:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 20, 2022, 8:57 p.m.

I'm running the Formula option for my shifter and the Wolftooth option for my dropper. It's flawless. Just be sure to check the formula options when you order as they are side specific.

Last edited by: Heinous on March 20, 2022, 8:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 25, 2022, 1:07 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Why not Formula Mix-Master? There’s an I-Spec B-Version.

Formula, Hope, and Magura share the same clamp dimensions so there are certainly options. I’ve used Formuka with Magura and opposite.

Depending on how you run your lever angle you may find the Magura version puts your shifter in an un-ergonomic place, but it definitely works.

I tried Formula Mix-Master and it put the shifter a long way down from the bar.  You had to really reach with your thumb to get to the lever.  I like my shifter (and dropper) in a position that is easy to reach without stretching.

I have also tried some Wolf Tooth 22.2mm dropper adapters which had the shifter too close or too far away depending if you had it up or down.

The best ones I have found so far are the 3D printed ones.  They get the shifter in a similar position as fixing to an I Spec B lever.

March 25, 2022, 1:13 p.m.

The other thing I have found are https://www.shapeways.com/product/8B8J8UWUV/shimano-i-spec-a-b-handlebar-adapter-cap?li=shareProduct&optionId=64452908 and https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09BJHGTMF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've ordered the Amazon ones which look a bit chunky but the bolt position looks about right.

If they don't work I will try the Shapeways ones.

I guess i'm a bit picky about shifter position...  but will keep updating (useful for reference if nothing else).

March 25, 2022, 1:14 p.m.

have you got any photos?

March 29, 2022, 4:42 a.m.

Possible solution is to go back to the original shimano bar mount brackets.  It means buying another set of shifters (used) and the clamps are fixed (not hinged) which is a PITA if i'm swapping bars with push on grips* but I don't do it that often.

* I blame Mr Major for getting me in this pickle with his great advice about push on grips.  Since the article I been a push on convert despite all the inconvenience.