I have many bicycle related questions

Jan. 9, 2015, 7:20 p.m.

YO everyone

Coming here brings me back, holy moly.

Anyways, after years living away from biking this year is my return so I need some help here. Since my days of hard livin are over and I got a desk job now…. I can see where that is gonna be heading unless I start doing exercise again on a regular basis. Need to crush future flabbo me before he even gets a chance (poor bastard)

I have this old (2004? ish) Kona Stinky. The frame is cracked apparently so not gonna use it.

So I was thinking of either: getting a decent frame and putting whatever parts I can salvage from it on there.. although I seem to remember a sh*tload of different standards coming out around the time I started riding less, so I can only imagine what it's like now.

I know the tires are garbage now and some other parts I would replace with new ones but stuff like the brakes and pedals I really used to like… Would my brakes even be good still (aside from new pads + fluid etc)? They're old Hayes hydros from around 2002 O.O Also it had some of those sweet yellow Deemax wheels which as far as I can tell are still in good shape. The fork I would probably replace but maybe I not if you think it would still be OK

Anyhow, barring all that… what are some good, reasonably priced XC/freeridey bikes these days I could look at if I went with a new/used one?

Been out of the scene so long I don't even know where to look. Does Kona still make good stuff? Or Rocky Mountain?

Thanks in advance

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

Jan. 9, 2015, 9:18 p.m.

New brakes are sooo much better! Whatever you end up doing make sure it has shimano brakes. Cheap and tough.

Have a look at the Kona process line. Been ridding one for a while and loving it.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Jan. 9, 2015, 9:40 p.m.

Hayes used to own the brake market, now it's wide open. You will get lots of opinions here on what brakes are best. Personally, I run Shimano.

Thread killer

Jan. 9, 2015, 9:46 p.m.

A bunch of things have changed. IMO you are better off to try the get a bit of cash together and find a new to you bike that is four years old or newer . It will be current enough to give you a chance to get back into riding again .
Not to say that an older bike won't work . But you will have a more current frame and base line of parts to keep going for a bunch more years. And should keep you and any mechanics working on it from pulling out their hair .

Jan. 10, 2015, 4:02 a.m.

Have a look at Giant (2014/15Trance or 2015 Reign), Trek (Remedy), Specialized (Stumpy or Enduro), Rocky (Altitude or Instinct) et al. Don't think a cracked 2004 Stinky is worth salvaging, even the parts.
Even a Reign 2 would be a much better bike. SLX brakes are sufficient for almost everything, not sure about Deore, as I haven't ridden those. Demo some stuff, find something you like, lay down cash, have fun.

Jan. 11, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

Thanks for all the help guys

I'll tell you one thing, things are WAY more expensive than they used to be :damn:

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

Jan. 11, 2015, 9:56 a.m.

Not sure what XC/Freeridey bikes are? I assume that is what was up to a few years ago called All-Mountain, but is now marketed as Enduro™

Anywhich, look for a 2011 and newer alloy full-suspension 26" wheel bike with min 140mm-170mm max front and rear travel. A lot of people have been dumping these inferior wheel sized steeds for the latest, greatest carb0n über bike in the oh so trendy goldilocks wheelsize so some deals should be found.

See the other thread about new "standards" to find out how un-compatible the Stinkys parts will be.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Jan. 11, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

Bikes may be more expensive but they are 1000x better than when your bike was current. Stronger, lighter, faster.

I would suggest getting into something three years old or younger. You'll be getting a tapered steerer/headtube, and your chances at getting something with decent geometry will be that much greater.

Jan. 12, 2015, 10:59 a.m.

With the recent changes to 27." (650b) wheels and 1x11 drivetrains there are some great 26" 2x10spd bikes on the used market. 2 years old, "outdated" technology.

Jan. 13, 2015, 4:32 p.m.

Wow, there's a name I have not seen in a long time. Welcome back. So much has changed…yes things are expensive but not if you know where to look. Now is the time to buy used as people are wanting to jump on the sweet new 2015 rides. A few tips that I have found:

Dropper posts are amazing, get one.
Bigger wheels rule. (much debate around this, but being a taller dude moving to 29" wheels was amazing)
1x drivetrains are great….ditch the front derailleur and never go back for MTB.

Baring all that…piece together what you can for now to get you back out on the trails and have fun….you don't need the latest or greatest to enjoy the sport. This will give you some time to figure stuff out again and find what will work for you.