Hydration Packs

Aug. 2, 2010, 11:40 p.m.

I've always been a Dakine fan, but I picked up an Osprey pack (20L) for longer rides and its been awesome. definitely go try one on.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=195[HTML_REMOVED]colorCode=535[HTML_REMOVED]tab=description

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 3, 2010, 3:26 p.m.

Ergon must be Batmans own brand. Must have one!

Aug. 3, 2010, 5:18 p.m.

I'd like to try out an Ergon pack - only problem I COULD imagine WOULD be the position of the upper pivot thingy…..I can't really figure out what would happen to my spine if I crashed with that one?

I have a Camelbak Havoc - and it is too small for proper day trips in the Alps….it depends on what you want to do with it. If you fancy multiple day trips with rain gear and the like it might be a tad small.

And I hate the Camelbak bladder - cleaning it is not convenient - Deuter is truly rocking. My wife has a womens spec pack and cleaning is neat and clean, and the air flow system on the back is spot on.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Aug. 3, 2010, 6:46 p.m.

I think I am going with a Deuter pack. They are the cheapest price wise for the features you get, and they seem like they are built pretty good.

I looked at the Osprey packs, and they seem a bit too small for what I want, and a bit more than I want to spend right now.

Looked at some Dakine packs too, and they seem WAY overpriced :/

What kind of bladder does everyone recommend?

Aug. 3, 2010, 9:41 p.m.

Hydrapak, but with a different bite valve attached. If you don't ever have a drink while you ride it would be fine, or if you can magically pull the bite valve apart with one hand, it wouldn't be a problem. As it is, I have to bite and pull the valve open in my teeth, unless I stop to have a drink. Not a big deal but its hard plastic and am worried doing this will cost me a tooth one day.

Wish I hadn't been such a cheap ass and sent my Nalagene bladder from my Dakine pack in for warranty, or at least kept the hose and valve. A way better, one-hand system.

Shirk does the Deuter pack have load lifters on it?

Some Ergon packs show up on steepandcheap every once in a while

PS Dakine should worry less about releasing the latest Pop art designs year in year out, and add a few additional features to their packs that have real world applications.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 3, 2010, 10:59 p.m.

Shirk does the Deuter pack have load lifters on it?

I had to look up who was claiming what to be load lifters.

The straps some call "load lifters" are actually called shoulder stabilizer straps. They help fine tune the positioning of the pack via lifting the shoulder straps. As a "load lifting" claim it's kinda weak, yes they "lift" the shoulder straps in relation to the rest of the pack, but they don't affect how the load is held within the pack. On large packs that extend over and above your head they do a much better job of stabilizing that load than lifting anything.

Yes the larger Deuter packs like the Transalp packs have should stabilizer straps to aid in fit, the smaller packs like the Compact and Race Air EXP don't have them.

Aug. 3, 2010, 11:28 p.m.

I'd like to try out an Ergon pack - only problem I COULD imagine WOULD be the position of the upper pivot thingy…..I can't really figure out what would happen to my spine if I crashed with that one?

I have an Ergon. It is an awesome XC pack. Suspension system keeps the bag away from your back, and it moves with you as you rotate. I love it.

But I will never use it for anything other than XC (Severed, Bridle, Squish… roadtrips). The big round plastic ball resting against my spine is too much of a concern for me for anything more aggressive.

Aug. 4, 2010, 1:15 p.m.

I've been rocking my apex for a couple weeks now, like it a lot!
Tool compartment accommodates my need to carry tools for every contingency, main compartment holds elbowpads, jacket, and adult beverages. Armor straps stow away cleanly when not in use
and I've still got room to end up carrying other peoples phones/keys/etc
So far so good, I recommend it highly

Aug. 4, 2010, 1:29 p.m.

I have been running an Dakine Apex since they came out (still using the original bladder too…lol) and it is still going strong, the new ones are even better.

Aug. 6, 2010, 7:04 p.m.

What kind of bladder does everyone recommend?

Camelbak, expensive but they last and don't spring random leaks. If you want a bite valve or shut off elbow, most bike stores have them in stock.

Aug. 7, 2010, 12:39 a.m.

Camelbak, expensive but they last and don't spring random leaks. If you want a bite valve or shut off elbow, most bike stores have them in stock.

I'd say the Deuter bladders have a way better system for putting in the water, but Camelback bite valve is king on the other end….

…. so buy a Deuter, cut the nozzle off and jam in a CBack one.

Aug. 7, 2010, 8:07 a.m.

I'd say the Deuter bladders have a way better system for putting in the water, but Camelback bite valve is king on the other end….

…. so buy a Deuter, cut the nozzle off and jam in a CBack one.

I've had 3 Deuter packs and none of them came with a bladder. At the time I got the first one I was told Dueter didn't even make bladders.

Aug. 7, 2010, 8:30 a.m.

I've been using the EVOC Freeride Trail for a while. Similar to a Nomad, but with built in back protection. I'm loving it so far. You need to add your own bladder though…

http://www.evocsports.com/index.php/Freeride-Trail.html

Aug. 7, 2010, 9:08 a.m.

Kriega, not cheap but you really do forget you're wearing it, and it should last forever.

I use the hydro 3 for short rides (fits a tube, pump, basic tools) and add a 10L drypack when I need more space.

Aug. 7, 2010, 10:39 a.m.

I REALLY like the look of those EVOC bags, but from what I can see they look really expensive….wonder if anyone in Vic carries them.

Wish the website also was better at explaining the differences between the ML/Tour/Trail models.