Hydration Packs

July 29, 2010, 11:27 p.m.

I am looking to buy a new pack. Looking for some suggestions from personal experience.

I want a pack that I can use for riding, and day trip hikes. So big enough for sweater/shell, food (maybe my DSLR) Lots of pouches inside to separate tools, first aid and stuff. Will probably end up using the same pack for skiing, but im not too concerned about putting my skis ON the pack.

Just kind of want an idea of what is out there. Are the Dakine bags pretty decent ? What about their bladders ?

Camelback ?

What do you use ?

July 29, 2010, 11:39 p.m.

A couple of different size Deuter hydration packs with a camebak bladders.

Edit:
Cross Air EXP
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=crossair[HTML_REMOVED]sub=hydration[HTML_REMOVED]tert=commuter

Futura 28
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=futura28[HTML_REMOVED]sub=hiking[HTML_REMOVED]tert=futura

July 30, 2010, 6:25 a.m.

I've been rockin' a Dakine Nomad w/ camelbak bladder(s) for a few years. Love it.

There's no place like fromme

July 30, 2010, 6:32 a.m.

The new Dakine packs have a bladder that is open across the entire top (allows for really easy cleaning). Seals well, too (at least so far). I quite like my Dakine packs - they've held up through more than their fair share of abuse. The Nomad is a great pack but probably too small to accommodate a DSLR camera. The Apex is a similar pack and is a bit bigger. They also make a camera-specific pack but I can't remember the name. Deuter also makes a really good pack. Check em out in person to see what works for you.

July 30, 2010, 7 a.m.

I've heard really good things about the newish Osprey Raptor packs. Different options for sizes, pockets/pouches for separating stuff, simple system for carrying helmets or strapping stuff externally. I like the Deuter packs but I think I'm going to try an Osprey one next.

Here are a couple of reviews:
Bike Radar
NSMB

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 30, 2010, 8:32 a.m.

They're not as cool as the other packs listed, but MEC makes some nice cheap bike backpacks…and if it breaks they will fix or replace it.

www.FVMBA.com

July 30, 2010, 8:46 a.m.

I have had the apex for about 5 yrs now and its a great pack ,good workmanship really bomber ,good for free ride biking cuz the rear pouch will expand to hold a helmet [HTML_REMOVED]pads for the up

I use it for hiking and skiing as well

July 30, 2010, 9:01 a.m.

Dakine packs are okay but their bladders are weaksauce… Cleaned mine and it literally fell apart. Dakine said they'd replace it, I gave them my address like they asked and never heard from them again. I'm now anti-Dakine and will never buy any of their products again (also had issues with gloves). Anyways, the bite valve leaked and didn't have great flow; even if it hadn't fallen apart, I wouldn't have bought one again.

The Deuter packs are defintely nice, expandable and really light with probably the best ventilation I've seen, will be my next pack for sure. As for bladders, just get one that full opens from the top and has a decent bite valve.

July 30, 2010, 9:02 a.m.

Deuter Compact EXP 12 is a great pack. Holds all your stuff, including helmet and pads.

The back panel has a large center air channel and breathes really well compared to the competition.

Matt at North Shore Bike Shop has a them.

July 30, 2010, 9:53 a.m.

I love my Dakine Nomad, although I don't think you'd want to squish an SLR in there. Also, Dakine switched to Hydrapak bladders a couple years ago and they are great.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

July 30, 2010, 1:28 p.m.

Deuter Compact EXP 12 is a great pack. Holds all your stuff, including helmet and pads.

The back panel has a large center air channel and breathes really well compared to the competition.

Matt at North Shore Bike Shop has a them.

I run the EXP 8 and love it for bike park, commuting, Fromme laps and hiking.

In can get 2.5L of H20, snacks, tubes, a tool, pump, extra layer, phone, wallet keys, maps, and a can o'beer as a reward for a job well done. If I need extra space I undo the expansion zipper and add some room fairly quickly.

July 30, 2010, 3:06 p.m.

Ive got the Nomad, no problems with it since I switched the bladder to a Hydrapak. Should have possibly gotten the Apex though, but it does carry everything for an all day event

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 30, 2010, 3:19 p.m.

How about an Ergon BC1 pack… looks pretty high tech, and I like the "BC" and #1 part.

Wish Arc'teryx made a bike pack… then we'd only need to wait for the clearance sales…

July 30, 2010, 3:40 p.m.

Have the original apex, still going strong since day one. Bladder sucked hard and I now use one of my old camelbak ones, but apparently that has been remedied.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

July 30, 2010, 4:18 p.m.

those ergons look slick….

want this one: