how to swap forks on 2 bikes... 1.5 vs. 1 1/8

June 8, 2012, 6:37 a.m.

Hey guys,

hoping for some clarification on parts needed to share forks on my bikes…

I have a banshee wildcard w/ 1.5" headtube with a FSA Orbit Pro 1.5 headset and a 1.5" totem solo air fork.

I also have a banshee amp w/ 1 1/8 Pike 454 u-turn.

I wanna mix up the wildcard and see how it rides in the 5" rear setting w/ the pike up front.

I need some sort of reducer peices for my current Orbit Pro headset, but i'm unsure what to order.

Also very hard to get parts here in Iceland, so i wanna be sure i'm ordering the right things.

Ideally i just get some cups/something so that I don't have to pull the 1.5 headset if that makes sense.

Any idea's on what exactly would work in this situation?

cheers

jeff

June 8, 2012, 6:43 a.m.

you will need a new reducer headset for this.

June 8, 2012, 7:51 a.m.

thats what i'm afraid of :(

But i vaguely remember reading about some way to do this without having to swap headsets… something like using FSA PIG 1.5 redcuer headset parts to fit within the existing stuff

i couldn't find any more info tho when searching so figured i'd post and see if anyone knew

June 8, 2012, 7:55 a.m.

That is a reducer headset. I have one of those, and there is a lower race for your 1 1/8th fork that lets you run it in the 1.5 headset. Same for the top. I might be able to find you parts numbers.

Yeroon
EDIT: I don't thinka pig headset works, thats a ball bearing headset, correct? That wont works with a cartridge bearing headset AFAIK.

June 8, 2012, 8:51 a.m.

Turns out I have an extra set of reducers for the orbit extreme pro 1.5.

If you want them, send me a pm.

Yeroon

June 8, 2012, 9:10 a.m.

I once had an Orbit Xtreme Pro and looked at doing this. You can order all the parts you need from FSA I'm pretty sure. The cups and bearings are the same in the reducer and 1.5 headsets. It's the lower cup and crown race that vary, I think.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

June 8, 2012, 9:20 a.m.

I once had an Orbit Xtreme Pro and looked at doing this. You can order all the parts you need from FSA I'm pretty sure. The cups and bearings are the same in the reducer and 1.5 headsets. It's the lower cup and crown race that vary, I think.

Lower cup is same, lower race is for eighth, as is the upper lock ring/race and the top cover.

Yeroon

June 9, 2012, 8:15 a.m.

I have an orbit extreme pro in a 1.5" headtube. When I swapped from a 1.5" to a 1 1/8" fork a couple of years ago, I found all I needed on the FSA website, and ordered the three parts direct from FSA. You need a new top cap, crown race, and compression ring. It is easy for me to swap back to the old fork, when my current fork has to go in for service.

June 9, 2012, 8:34 a.m.

this is exactly what i was hoping for, awsome! thx guys.

Rizzle has also offered to ship his spare parts to me in iceland for free!! Hopefully it's all i need, otherwise i'll hit up fsa's site and score the remaining bits.

reps all around for Rizzle!

June 9, 2012, 9:18 a.m.

How is the biking in iceland??? got any photo or videos of trails?

I loved iceland when we went in summer. One of the most beautiful places i have ever been. also lots and lots of pretty girls! 4 days wasnt enough (well it was enough for my bank balance, not enough for the rest)

June 9, 2012, 11:31 a.m.

I wanna mix up the wildcard and see how it rides in the 5" rear setting w/ the pike up front.

The Wildcard rides way better in the 5" setting. Do it!

flickr

June 9, 2012, 2:04 p.m.

There are 3-4 'DH' tracks here, close to reykjavik, but after being spoiled by the north shore and whistler, my wildcard and amp just sit the garage :)

They did open up a bike park last year, just making use of a little used ski hill about 30 minutes outside of the city, but it's just a single track that winds down a small hill.

There is another man-made DH track which takes about 2 minutes to get down, but its a bit gnarly for me really… 10 foot drops, big jumps, etc… It's a trail that you really need to be on top of your game for and just not really my style.

But I figure if I swap out the totem for the pike on the wildcard, maybe i'll get in some more self propelled biking…

I would like to do some of the interior guided riding that you can see on 2009 bike magazine trip of the year. The wildcard change will help with that for sure. It's a bit of a pig atm

However, about 8 months after getting here and checking out the riding scene, i went a different direction for my outdoor needs :) Especially for here, with so much amazing stuff to see!

June 9, 2012, 3:53 p.m.

This is the best part about that headset

June 9, 2012, 7:35 p.m.

heres a pic of the parts

EDIT: I took the pic yesterday, they are actually in an envelope ready to go to post office first thing tomorrow.

June 9, 2012, 11:29 p.m.

after seeing that 2009 bike mag article and the pictures, iceland is (one of) my dream mtb trip(s). i've a friend who's been twice since the country's economy went into the bin to do some bike touring - every time i tell her she's taking the wrong kind of bike…

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave