How to Choose a Road Bike

July 13, 2003, 10:47 p.m.

I've been considering buying a road bike (especially now that I can't drive for a bit) but I've never ridden one before so I have no idea what to look for. Anyone have any suggestions? Which companies are better, what makes one bike better over the other type stuff? oh and I don't have a whole lot of cash for it either.

Turnips anyone?

July 13, 2003, 10:56 p.m.

I like Specialized because of the bang for the buck.

Lemond because steel is for real on road bikes. Uber comfort.

Frame is where the money shot is. Try to get as good a frame as you can. Tiagra components are the lowest you want to go, but get as much 105 and Ultegra as possible (Tiagra = LX, 105 = XT, Ultegra = XTR).

Steel and Aluminum frame weights are almost identical.

To choose the size, ride the bike.

I am 6' flat, I ride a 56. Fits perfectly. Make sure you have propper stand over, then tune the length based on that number.

No one can tell you "you need a 58." If they do, go somewhere else. Road bikes are a completely personal thing.

I would seriously consider the Lemond Buenos Aires, or the Nevada City. Both are great, and not a RACK of money. Just around $1,000. Both are good. Reynolds 853 steel, VERY comfortable.

Specialized Allez will give you a nicer looking frame, but much different geometry.

It's all personal preference, that's all I can say.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 13, 2003, 11:02 p.m.

Look at Devinci's as well. They provide excellent bang for the buck and they are made in Canada.

July 13, 2003, 11:03 p.m.

Thanx man! That all made sense, it helped a lot!

Turnips anyone?

July 13, 2003, 11:28 p.m.

It's my job :) Literally.

I like my women like I like my Scotch. 15 years old and mixed up with coke.

July 13, 2003, 11:37 p.m.

Make sure you have the right frame size. It's sooooooo important with road bikes.

www.natooke.com

July 13, 2003, 11:50 p.m.

Originally posted by Skissors
I've been considering buying a road bike (especially now that I can't drive for a bit) but I've never ridden one before so I have no idea what to look for. Anyone have any suggestions?

Somebody's got Tour fever, I bet.:D

With road bikes, fit is everything because it's all about pedaling efficiently in a seated position. The better bike shops (road bike shops) will have a "fit kit" or fitting system where they will take all your measurements and come up with a very precise fit that works best for you. Then they'll recommend a bike that best fits you. The fitting costs some, but it is worth it if you don't have any experience with road bike sizing.

Your choice of bike/manufacturer should be solely based on fit, because it can be very unpleasant to spend long periods of time pedaling a bike that doesn't fit you. Besides, if you are looking at an entry-level bike, then the specs and frame materials will all be quite similar among different manufacturers.

Also, the latest trend among Giant and others is to offer "compact" frames that only come in a few sizes. (This reduces inventory and overhead at bike shops and in the supply chain.) This is fine if the few sizes they offer happen to fit you, but not so ideal if they don't fit you.

Yes, people often do develop sizing preferences after awhile, but if you're just starting out, it's hard to make any judgments about sizing from the outset. Besides, a road bike position will always feel "weird" at first.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

July 14, 2003, 9:09 a.m.

I ride an Orix roadie. Fits me good. The "compact" frames offer more standover because of the sloping toptube. The lengh is were its at. It is adjustable, of course, with the stem and seat position. I have heard that to fit it, sit on it in a regular position and look down, If you can see the hub over the bars, it is too short and will need a longer stem and vise-versa.

July 14, 2003, 9:22 a.m.

Originally posted by BAC5.2
**I like Specialized because of the bang for the buck.

Lemond because steel is for real on road bikes. Uber comfort.

(Tiagra = LX, 105 = XT, Ultegra = XTR).

Steel and Aluminum frame weights are almost identical.

word to all that, 'cept Sora=Alivio, Tiagra=Deore, 105=LX, Ultegra=XT, DA = XTR…. :lol: not major :)

Personally, I love the specialized for their geometry and for the fact that comperable specialized are at least a full pound lighter than treks. Huge value. The new specialized steel frames are badass, too. I love the baby blue color…

Other than that, it's all been covered :)

SOR

July 14, 2003, 9:36 a.m.

Campagnolo forever :D

July 14, 2003, 10:13 a.m.

i was just done at a LBS looking at the Lemond bikes. the nevada city to be specific. they have one on sale for $1000cdn.
looks pretty good, anyone know anything abou it?

July 15, 2003, 2:33 a.m.

Originally posted by sanrensho
**Somebody's got Tour fever, I bet.:D

The better bike shops (road bike shops) will have a "fit kit" or fitting system where they will take all your measurements and come up with a very precise fit that works best for you. Then they'll recommend a bike that best fits you.

I didn't know they offered that service. Thats a really good idea though, I'd have know idea what felt right and what felt wrong if I went to a bike shop on my own to try one out.

Anyone know of some bike shops that offer this????

Turnips anyone?

July 15, 2003, 11:09 a.m.

Originally posted by Skissors
**I didn't know they offered that service. Thats a really good idea though, I'd have know idea what felt right and what felt wrong if I went to a bike shop on my own to try one out.

Anyone know of some bike shops that offer this???? **

La Bicicletta (233 W.Broadway, Vancouver 872-2424) does bike fittings. Wait until you see all the nice road frames hanging from their ceiling.:drool: A neighbour of mine told me that her brother bought a new road bike there for about $1100, so I guess they also have entry-level bikes if that's what you're looking for.

Also Campione (874-2453 235 West 7th Ave. Vancouver), they're just a few blocks away from La Bicicletta.

Aw heck, I found some good links for you:

Bike shops

Fit Kit Info

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk