how much stanchion

Oct. 5, 2019, 11:58 p.m.

Yeah, I’ve been through this. I ordered an out of package 36 From CRC and thought they sent me a different travel fork from what I ordered.

The 36 doesn’t bottom out all the way to the crown. There’s about 1 cm more stanchion exposed than fork travel.

Oct. 6, 2019, 4:48 p.m.

Back in the day folks used to get upset that they're 150mm fork maybe only had 147mm of stanchion showing and Fox had an infographic somewhere that stated that something like 6mm of 'travel' could be taken up by the negative spring.

I find my Yari uses more of it's travel than my Fox 36 Grip used to, more often.  Different forks will use their travel differently even with the same air pressure and # of tokens. If one is on a bike with higher bars/slacker HA it might use it's travel less as more weight is over the front wheel. Doesn't even need to be the fork itself. My riding buddy could never get full travel out of his 36 because his rear shock was too soft and at the same time he was a cautious rider so his weight was always off the back.

Oct. 6, 2019, 6:42 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

The 36 doesn’t bottom out all the way to the crown. There’s about 1 cm more stanchion exposed than fork travel.

This is the correct answer.

Oct. 7, 2019, 11:04 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

...trying to achieve the same fork nirvana with the lyrik. 

After a couple of months of casual faffing with my Lyrik, adding more air pressure than recommended was what took the fork from good to perfecto.