How much better is the Demo 8 to the Big Hit?

June 14, 2005, 11:28 a.m.

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Whats the vibe on the Demo 8 vs. the Big Hit? Am I falling victum to jelousy and a great AD campaign? Is it really worth it for me to fork out another 3 g?
Someone kit some sense into me please! :stupid: :stupid:

June 14, 2005, 4:57 p.m.

Pros:
26" rear tire
More strength/stiffness
Lower standover
Longer seat tube
Better cables routing
Lower bb (I think, and that's a matter of opinion)

Cons:
$$$
More pivots/maintenance
Heavier?

June 14, 2005, 5:33 p.m.

i notised a huge difference between tracking, peddaling, and cornering. my demo 8 sticks to terrain that my big hit would have chattered on. it peddals like a hardtail (i know that a lot of people say that about every bike, but it actually does). the demo also RAILS around corners like you wouldent believe.
it also has a lower standover and more comfortable riding position.

Sheldon

:smokey::canada:KICKS ASS

June 14, 2005, 6:25 p.m.

I'm blown away at home many people think there are more pivots.

Pros:
26" rear tire
More strength/stiffness
Lower standover
Longer seat tube
Better cables routing
Lower bb (I think, and that's a matter of opinion)

Cons:
$$$
More pivots/maintenance
Heavier?

June 14, 2005, 8:31 p.m.

another thing i just realized:
i notised that on drops/large objects that my big hit tended to blow threw more travel than nescesary(or i liked), im not quite sure how to explain it(it wasent a soft spring problem). with the demo, it feels like it adapts more to the conditions. the demo just has a much more progressive feel IMO.

June 14, 2005, 9:46 p.m.

Sounds like some comments are based on shock tech. 01-03 Bighits weren't exactly efficient pedalers due to the lack of Propedal/SPV.

When both bikes are SPV equiped things should be pretty similar being that they are both Horst link.

Des

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

June 15, 2005, 3 a.m.

Yeah shock tech would justify some of the differences mentioned above.
From a suspension tech point of view the BigHit is probably better. It has
quite a bit less un-sprung mass and the shock link can be used to control
and adjust leverage ratios more effectively than bolting the shock to a
sub-seatstay. That said, the overall design of the Demo's is so good that
it kind of negates those advantages.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 15, 2005, 7:38 a.m.

I'm blown away at home many people think there are more pivots.

Are there not? I thought that the shock stays on the Demo accounted for the extra pivots/bearings.

June 15, 2005, 8:12 a.m.

Are there not? I thought that the shock stays on the Demo accounted for the extra pivots/bearings.

Same number of pivots. You could argue it has more bearings I guess, as the shock eye is a bearing rather than DU. It certainly isn't more maintenance, and if you don't agree go change a DU then change 2 bearings.

June 15, 2005, 9:08 a.m.

I never understood the argument of maintenance against a linkage bike. I ride a 4-bar, and I just swapped out my bearings in 2 hours. That's a once a season fix. Low maintenance really.

June 15, 2005, 4:38 p.m.

my 03 bighit pedaled horribly with the stock shock. i spent some money on a 5th element and its the exact opposite. this thing is glued to the ground and pedals way easier up hill.

![](http://www3.telus.net/public/wtaekema/cloud panoramasig.jpg)

FOR SALE: 2003 Fox Vanilla R Shock: 7.875" x 2.25". Comes with 650lbs spring. $30

June 15, 2005, 7:06 p.m.

During the Middle Ages, probably one of the biggest mistakes was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner'.
- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey Ha ha ha ha!:scream:

"The sands of time are running like quicksilver."

Come out and get spanked by guys on 35lb hecklers racing in spandex.

June 15, 2005, 8:18 p.m.

the fsr patent is 10 years old and only good for 15'ish years, so…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

June 15, 2005, 9:30 p.m.

Sounds like some comments are based on shock tech. 01-03 Bighits weren't exactly efficient pedalers due to the lack of Propedal/SPV.

When both bikes are SPV equiped things should be pretty similar being that they are both Horst link.

Des

i changed my foxRC to a swinger 4-way a week after i got my big hit. i do agree it helped peddaling a little, but it wasent that significant IMO. the 4-way helped bottoming and progression more than peddaling.

June 16, 2005, 7:42 a.m.

Any clue of what the mark up is for the shops? $4700 is a lot of coin for a bike…. very curious to know how much the shops mark the bikes up :damn: