How hard is it to swap RS Super Deluxe travel spacers???

July 14, 2020, 4:04 p.m.

I have the new Scout on route and want to run it 160F 150R. (Boutique Sight)

So I need to swap out travel spacers. Sock is 205mm x 57.5mm I need to change it to 205mm x 62.5mm. RS makes no mention of it in their service document but you can see it. I cant find the spacers for sale. I would need the 2.5mm travel spacer.

July 14, 2020, 6:48 p.m.

Im confused at your question. How is it that you plan on increasing the stroke of the shock by adding a spacer? A spacer would shorten the stroke in my experience. From what I can see, you cannot lengthen the stroke of the shock without changing the entire damper. Transition even states on their site that you would need a different shock.

July 14, 2020, 7:25 p.m.

Is the stock shock native 205mm x 65mm stroke? So you need a 2.5mm spacer instead of maybe a 7.5mm spacer?

I know 205x60 is a pretty common native size, but not sure about 205x65 though. 

With most shocks 'proper' spacer removal or replacement is fairly involved. But if you are just removing a spacer you can cautiously cut it off in most cases taking care not to scratch the inner shaft.

July 15, 2020, 7:24 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

So I need to swap out travel spacers. Sock is 205mm x 57.5mm I need to change it to 205mm x 62.5mm. RS makes no mention of it in their service document but you can see it. I cant find the spacers for sale. I would need the 2.5mm travel spacer.

Will there be frame contact with the added travel? I wanted to do the same with my Sentinel but it was already super close so I chose not to. Fluid Function would have spacers I'm sure or get a machine shop to make you one out of delrin or whatever.

July 15, 2020, 8:16 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Will there be frame contact with the added travel? I wanted to do the same with my Sentinel but it was already super close so I chose not to. Fluid Function would have spacers I'm sure or get a machine shop to make you one out of delrin or whatever.

Transition states on their website that the new scout can be ridden with 140mm (205x57.5mm shock) or 150mm (205x62.5mm), so I am hoping they checked on that :)  Im still not clear on how you make a shorter stroked shock into a longer one with spacers?

July 15, 2020, 8:22 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Transition states on their website that the new scout can be ridden with 140mm (205x57.5mm shock) or 150mm (205x62.5mm), so I am hoping they checked on that :) Im still not clear on how you make a shorter stroked shock into a longer one with spacers?

The metric shocks come in families of i2i's.  205 i2i shocks are all technically 65mm until they throw in spacers to decrease travel all the way down to 57.5mm. This cut way down on random size shocks for the manufacturers to have to make for the different bike brands and made it so the bike brands had 1 size i2i to work with depending on the bikes 'genre' ie 205mm i2i, 210mm i2i for bigger bikes etc.

Last edited by: T-mack on July 15, 2020, 8:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 15, 2020, 8:54 a.m.

Transition states on their website that the new scout can be ridden with 140mm (205x57.5mm shock) or 150mm (205x62.5mm), so I am hoping they checked on that :) Im still not clear on how you make a shorter stroked shock into a longer one with spacers?

The metric shocks come in families of i2i's.  205 i2i shocks are all technically 65mm until they throw in spacers to decrease travel all the way down to 57.5mm. This cut way down on random size shocks for the manufacturers to have to make for the different bike brands and made it so the bike brands had 1 size i2i to work with depending on the bikes 'genre' ie 205mm i2i, 210mm i2i for bigger bikes etc.

Ah. So if the bike has a 57.5mm shock, you would want to remove spacers to make it longer? That makes much more sense.  Thanks for the explanation!

July 15, 2020, 9:26 a.m.

Ah. So if the bike has a 57.5mm shock, you would want to remove spacers to make it longer? That makes much more sense.  Thanks for the explanation!

Exactly. Think of the spacers more like bump stops which limit how far the piston can go into the body. Cheers!

July 15, 2020, 9:44 a.m.

I believe the RS Deluxe series of shocks have spacers than you need to physical cut off (unless you are disassembling the shock entirely) but it can be done carefully. Some shocks like DVO Topaz it's a C-clip shape to go between 60/65mm stroke etc. There are threads on MTBR showing what it looks like, having trouble finding them now, maybe search for 60 65mm stroke Deluxe because that is the more common sizing.

July 15, 2020, 9:54 a.m.

No need to bleed or change the oil, this is as simple as an air can service or adding tokens. I stuffed a homemade shim in mine last summer, from memory I think these travel spacers sit down under the tokens.

July 15, 2020, 5:14 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

No need to bleed or change the oil, this is as simple as an air can service or adding tokens. I stuffed a homemade shim in mine last summer, from memory I think these travel spacers sit down under the tokens.

The stock Rockshox travel spacers are concentric to the shock shaft, I think, which requires pulling the shock apart to put them on. I also read that the IFP height needs to be set differently depending on shock stroke.

This has some info: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/PHeller/blog/air-shock-stroke-adjustments-via-bumpers-what-changes.html

I ended up getting Fluid Function to do mine.