How Do You Find Out if a Used Bike Stolen?

Aug. 15, 2007, 10:57 a.m.

Hey,

Just wondering…been looking at a few used bikes but get slightly nervous when the seller doesn't have the original receipt..any thoughts?

PS: Still considering the Brodies from my other thread but checking out all my options.

Aug. 15, 2007, 11:03 a.m.

I never keep the orig receipts for any of my bikes or bike parts. Go on gut feeling about the dude selling. Talk gear with them and see if they know what they are selling.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Aug. 15, 2007, 12:04 p.m.

You can also check the serial number with the registry. See if they know anything about bikes, and if they can't pronounce "Marzocchi" don't buy anything from them.

Aug. 15, 2007, 1:31 p.m.

You can also check the serial number with the registry. See if they know anything about bikes, and if they can't pronounce "Marzocchi" don't buy anything from them.

:lol: but ya if you go to any bike shop I think they have a universal serial # bank that all the shops can access

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

Aug. 15, 2007, 1:46 p.m.

:lol: but ya if you go to any bike shop I think they have a universal serial # bank that all the shops can access

edit : Wow - there really is a "magic serial number bank".

But what does it say that my LBS didnt know about it….

Try asking the seller to come for a ride.
Try talking to the seller about the trails the bike has been on, whats your favourite etc.
Where do you get the bike maintained, what was the last thing/amount you spent money on it for.

These are all good questions, even if the bike isn't stolen.

Don't be afraid to walk, you have your heart set on getting a bike, but make the seller work for it, let THEM prove its not stolen.

Aug. 15, 2007, 2:30 p.m.

This is rubbish. Most bikes aren't reported properly, or with the right serial number. AFAIK there is no magic "serial number bank" either. Shops can keep records, but thats about it.

Try asking the seller to come for a ride.
Try talking to the seller about the trails the bike has been on, whats your favourite etc.
Where do you get the bike maintained, what was the last thing/amount you spent money on it for.

These are all good questions, even if the bike isn't stolen.

Don't be afraid to walk, you have your heart set on getting a bike, but make the seller work for it, let THEM prove its not stolen.

Man…great advice! Thanks very much! This is the one I'm going to check out.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php/product/11351/cat/500

The ad seems legit and the asian gal I spoke to said the size wasn't right for her - too long in the top tube which sounds legit to me as well since she mentioned she's 5'4" tall.

Aug. 15, 2007, 3:07 p.m.

That ad seems quite legit. Fair asking price too :)

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Aug. 15, 2007, 3:15 p.m.

That ad seems quite legit. Fair asking price too :)

Thats what I thought price wise too! :)

Aug. 15, 2007, 4:05 p.m.

That bike is definitely legit. I believe she's with the Muddbunnies?

Sober

Aug. 15, 2007, 6:58 p.m.

That bike is definitely legit. I believe she's with the Muddbunnies?

Sweet! Thanks!

Aug. 15, 2007, 7:02 p.m.

Original purchase receipt is the only way. It's also the industry standard.

Aug. 15, 2007, 7:25 p.m.

Original purchase receipt is the only way. It's also the industry standard.

if i dont know or trust the person i am buying the bike from then i wouldnt be buying out with the receipt to backit up.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Aug. 16, 2007, 10:14 a.m.

This is rubbish. Most bikes aren't reported properly, or with the right serial number. AFAIK there is no magic "serial number bank" either. Shops can keep records, but thats about it.

Uh, yes there is a "serial number bank" and you can access it here.
The link goes to the Canadian Police Information Centre and allows you to search the serial or VIN of cars, bikes, etc.

Check my old thread from way back on this very topic:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=50788

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.

Aug. 16, 2007, 11:23 a.m.

Checked it out and had a good chat with the gal and everything felt totally legit to me and…it's now my bike!

PS: Just checked the serial # out on the linky Slamigo provided and it's all good there! Thanks for the advice everyone!

Aug. 16, 2007, 4:34 p.m.

congrats! looks like a nice ride and a really good deal too! Enjoy!

We're riding bicycles!!!

For sale: 5th element spring 425 lbs from a 2003 Bullit $40 shipping incl. PM me.