How do you decide which pack to buy?...

May 14, 2005, 1:44 a.m.

What I would love to see is a pack with an expansion zipper and a net to carry my helmet. It can still be small and light which is the biggest deal for me, and also carry my stuff when I need it. The net would be useful, but I strap my helmet onto my bars/stem for the uphill anyways.

Me, I store stuff on my back when I'm riding uphill. A big bulky pack on the uphill is no big deal to me. But when I'm going downhill, I want that pack as small and close to my body as possible. Right now I use a Trek WSD (yea yea, I know it's a women specific design) It's really small, which is great. It holds enough water for me to ride all day pretty much. I can fit in allen keys, my car keys, a wallet, a couple powerbars, a tube and a pump. However, I can't fit any clothing into it whatsoever, the pocket is about 4x6 inches. This is where the expanding pouch would be really useful. Big and carry whatever you want to the top, but you can still squish it down small (if you've packed right!) for the downhill.

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

May 14, 2005, 2:44 a.m.

ive had three packs since i started riding and my dakine is the only one ive been 100% satisfied with.

1. fit, i want it to be padded enough that when its on it doesnt digg into my arms, i want the waist strap to not be some pansy little piece of rope it needs to be moderatly thick. The bag also needs to not shift around when i ride, nothing is worse than being hit by your bag when ur riding.
2.storage, not only does it need to fit all my gear, but it also has to do it well. some form of organizer pockets are important to me (for keys,wallet,cellphone, etc).
3. bladder, the bladder needs to be decently big, but not so big that when i fill it it sticks out of the back causing it to bulge. It needs to easy to take in and out to clean. The valve needs to come from above me not the bottum (my last raceface bag when ever i put it down the valve would hit the ground right away if i didnt grab it and who wants water that tastes like dirt. Has to seal well and not leak (twist tight works better than zip lock imo).
4. should be able to somehow carry some of my gear on the outside not needed but a plus ie helmet, leg armour.
5. sunglasses pouch a nice little addition good for storage of music players aswell.

i would 100% recommend dakine, the pack may cost more but they are worth it. As an example ive had my dakine snowboarding bag (heli-pro) for about 4 years now and no problems. It fits amazing and is comfortable, its water proof and ive never had anything get wet in it. It can hold a bladder if i want it to and it works for school aswell. Its low profile (doesnt always fit a ton of stuff) but has a ton of extra storage for stuff like ice picks which i dont need. It still looks nearly new and is worth it. Dakine all the way they def know what they are doing

May 16, 2005, 9:59 a.m.

Hopfully this will all work out.
Tim

Red meat is not bad for you, its green fuzzy meat that's bad for you.

Synchro, Derwood, Wayne P and me - Team Newfie. No CFA's allowed.

May 16, 2005, 11:01 a.m.

why did i buy a camelbak hawg? - it was all that the shop that i used sold. It has been great, but being as most shops will only carry one (major) brand and maybe one (minor) brand, i think where people shop will be as important as p[ack design.
I have been happy with my hawg for 4 1/2 years now, but want a dakine.

reason for wanting dakine apex- it is designed for what i do - ride slowly uphill (lots of water and room for all my stuff), then fall off downhill (its tuff and i didnt have to leave any of my armour back in the car). The camelbak havoc was in the running aswell, but following the review on this site (is that pro endorsement or advertising?) i went and reexamined the havoc versus the apex, and found the negatives in the review justified IMO.

The reason for dakine as a brand? I have been lucky enough to have the whole range 'sold" to me ( i used to work as a buyer) and it seems that they have identified their markets well. As you can see from bzerks post - different riding = different pack. Not everyone who rides "the shore" wants or needs an Apex style pack, but there are other packs that incorporate the same quality of construction and style not to mention Dakines solid rep.

2c

NSMBA member

May 16, 2005, 11:45 a.m.

my buddies and i have been very happy with packs made by DEUTER ( pronounced doiter ) . the model i have is called the crossair , which is big enough for the day long epics . the pack fits me well , with a unique meshed back to keep you cooler on those long uphill grovels . it really does work . it has one main large compartment , with a external zippered pouch , which is divided to keep tools , etc organized .
there are two mesh pockets on either side , and a bungee attachment for pads .
i use MSR hydration bags of varying sizes . strong , durable with a good bite valve .
the quality of construction is second to none , as are the materials . nice little details like snaps on the zipper pulls , which prevent them from accidentally pulling away from each other and spilling your gear . also has a rain cover built into a hidden zippered pocket underneath . good waist belt and sternum strap . more expensive than your run of the mill stuff , but worth it in the long run .

May 22, 2005, 11:33 p.m.

Go to NSMB for an article on the HAWG by camelback. They didn't like it. My buddy and I both like the MULE by Camelback. Kinda small but effective.

Thread killer

May 22, 2005, 11:55 p.m.

one link, one pack i dream of getting, its important to have lil sectinos as well as bigger ones, also spots to put armour and your helmet is important. Durability and WATERPROOFNESS is also important!!!!!

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/dakineapex_05_05.php

one day…

PS I don't normally like riding with backpacks, but its def good to have water, food, tools, and spare parts. Oh well oneday….but I may also need a good camera bag so who knows…

Hoots Gear/Dizzy Cycles/Kenda USA/eNVy

Bonz Lever for __sale__ for Hayes & Hayes 8" adapter for Boxxer

May 23, 2005, 12:04 a.m.

[QUOTE=hecklin at y'all]Hopfully this will all work out.
Tim[/QUOTE]

One complaint I've had - not enough compression straps, and not enough adjustability…

we have 4 packs around the house - all of them different - my favorite is a Dakine, mostly because - lots of useable internal storage, straps that hold tons on the outside, and the straps are nicely adjustable and fit well to my body.

The others - one is too short, and too narrow across between the shoulder straps so it chafes my neck

the other has a silly hydration pack location but a good bite valve

and the worst part is both of those packs have hardly enough room for your keys and a powerbar…

Must haves…

- a padded water resistant storage pack for cell phones
- clip to store keys
- make sure the hydration pack is separate from all teh tools so nothings gonna pierce the pack
- how about a good run of reflective tape or a place to clip a flashing light?
- moveable clips for placing the hydration tube where you want
- adjustable waist strap that is also removeable
- rubber coated or tacky surface under pack so it won't move around
- durable materials that take alot of abuse on the trails
- velcro ends so you can keep those long compression straps tight and out of the way when riding up on the chairlifts
- well organized tool / pump / spare tube / energy bar storage compartments

Just some of the things I look for in all my packs (riding / day / skiing / backpacking)

Thanks for even asking us eh!

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 23, 2005, 12:07 a.m.

my buddies and i have been very happy with packs made by DEUTER ( pronounced doiter ) . the model i have is called the crossair , which is big enough for the day long epics . the pack fits me well , with a unique meshed back to keep you cooler on those long uphill grovels . it really does work . it has one main large compartment , with a external zippered pouch , which is divided to keep tools , etc organized .
there are two mesh pockets on either side , and a bungee attachment for pads .
i use MSR hydration bags of varying sizes . strong , durable with a good bite valve .
the quality of construction is second to none , as are the materials . nice little details like snaps on the zipper pulls , which prevent them from accidentally pulling away from each other and spilling your gear . also has a rain cover built into a hidden zippered pocket underneath . good waist belt and sternum strap . more expensive than your run of the mill stuff , but worth it in the long run .

Thanks for the info Patrolskid, I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Deuter. My girl picked one up at a silent auction recently and got a screamin' deal on it. I think it was really made for light skitouring but I thought it would not be a bad riding pack too. Does the Crossair have full-face helmet carrying ability? I think hers is a different model- I'll look into it.

ski faster, I hear banjo music

May 23, 2005, 11:02 a.m.

yeah , phat , you could use the bungee crossweb to strap your pail on there . . . . for xc uphills i use the two side straps to clip into the chin strap of my switchblade , works well , sits centered on the pack . depending on how much you are packing , an xc helmet would fit inside .

May 23, 2005, 11:17 a.m.

As long as it can hold a couple litres of water, my armour and the fit is decent…it really comes down to price for me (maybe I'm cheap!). I'm happy with my basic MEC hydration pack, it was something like $40. I usually through the helmet on my handlebars for the climb up.

May 23, 2005, 11:29 a.m.

got a dakine apex pack last week, so far i wuv it.

- bike sexual

May 23, 2005, 1:14 p.m.

I've had really good luck with a few generations of the Camelback Hawg. Excellent construction, the ability to carry tons of water (I usually just use a 70oz (2ltr) bladder though) and it fits all the tools/food I need without having too much space (because you know if you have too much space you'll fill it).

When my last one kicked the bucket $$$ was an issue so I purchased a pack form MEC for the replacement. MEC has a pretty big selection (including some designed to carry full faces) and they are very competitive dollar wise. The only issue I've had with them is the Platypus ™ bladders that come stock with them are pretty crappy. I'm using a Camelback bladder in mine now (one with a bigass screw top) and it is working nicely.

May 24, 2005, 7:06 p.m.

first fit, then fit, then fit, then economy (how well I can use its available space), then wieght (i'm an x/c guy). Price and looks are pretty cool. I mean if 2 packs are exactly the same, but the better looking one is $10 more I would spring for the better looking one. Cause if you are going to get something worth buying, you had be happy with it in every aspect.

In your Face, in your Face!!!

(as Peter thrusts his groin toward Meg)

May 24, 2005, 9:38 p.m.

Features - Definitely. Whenever I buy any gear for biking, snowboarding, etc, I start the buying process with certain features in mind. The list may vary in length depending on what I'm buying, but if an item doesn't have all of those particular features then I'll just keep searching.

Size - Yes. The range of sizes that hydration packs comes in is massive, so I'd looking for a pack that is a particular size.

Comfort - Yes. I was recently looking at some MEC packs recently, and I didn't get one simply because they just didn't fit me very well. Something about the straps just didn't seem right.

Brand Name - Somewhat important. As a name, Camelbak means very little to me (other than 'overpriced'). Dakine means A LOT to me - I wish I bought stock in Dakine a few years ago because of how much of their gear I buy. My present pack is a Hydrapak, and I'd potentially get another Hydrapak as I've been happy with my present pack. MEC - I checked their packs out because they're usally functional and a good value. I think the name itself might mean more in terms of pedigree/reputation than name-brand-coolness

Price - Yes. I am both somewhat cheap but willing to spend money for quality items if I feel like it is a good value. I doubt I'd ever get a Camelbak pack as I view them as being over-priced in my mind (people with good memories may remember similar rants about Burton from this past winter).

Cool-Factor - What is cool to me is stuff that works - you can't become cool through advertising, you have to earn it by making quality products. Although I am willing to admit that I am probably susceptible to advertising so it probably is a factor to some extent. I realized a long time ago that what a 15 year old views as cool and what I view as cool probably aren't very similar.

Friend's Recommendation - Counts for a fair amount, but I've learned over the years to take it with a grain of salt and to make sure that any pros or cons would be for comparable circumstances. If you're raving about the fit and durability of a really small hydration pack you use for xc, and i'm looking for a bigger pack that can handle the abuse of freeriding, your recommendation isn't overly useful.

Pro Endorsement - I couldn't even tell you a single pro with a pack endorsement, and even if I could it would mean very little to me. It's not like Mr Pro Biker is actually winning races or slopestyles or whatever with the pack on.

Advertising - I don't read mt bike magazines, and am on this site so often that I've grown immune to ads (maybe…must go open NSCU bank account…).

Pedigree/Reputation - If this is referring to a company that has a long history of making quality products, than yes - especially if I've had a product from that company before that I've been happy with. Once I've used a companies product, if I've been happy with it I'll stick with that company for a long while.

Community Involvement - Maybe as a tie-breaker for making a decision. It might make me more aware of a brand that I wouldn't otherwise know about, so it might be useful after all.

The only hydration pack that I have ever used in a Hydrapack. I bought it a few years ago before I knew much about hydration packs, and am lucky that it has worked out as well as it has. I'm presently looking for a slightly larger pack, and am leaning towards getting a Dakine Nomad. Before I buy anything, I'll check out several shops to see what all of my options are, focusing mostly on features and price. There, after all that typing the important part comes to the surface.

Sorry to everyone else for the long read