how bout a good ol fashioned tire thread

May 16, 2022, 7:12 p.m.

I found some Der Barons from biketiresdirect, so hopefully will be good for a couple more seasons. 

I also ordered some Versus tires to try on the rear, very curious how they go.

Still looking at a rekon/dhrII combo  that I already have for the summer backcountry big-ride season. Anybody have any other favorites that pedal easy but don't terrify?

May 17, 2022, 12:29 a.m.

The Baron equivalent in the new lineup is apparently the Argotal Enduro Soft (what a name downgrade! ).

May 17, 2022, 1:27 p.m.

Posted by: Timer

The Baron equivalent in the new lineup is apparently the Argotal Enduro Soft (what a name downgrade! ).

Cool, that's good to know. The euro shops seem to only have the 2.6s so far. 1275g and 57€ is not so compelling. If the 2.4 is lighter and cheaper might give a go.

I feel like 2.4 baron black chili could be had for more like 37€ . 57€ is close enough to local pricing for most tires, not sure they make as much sense. :-/

Last edited by: Kenny on May 17, 2022, 1:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 9, 2022, 11:19 a.m.

Put my worn Vittoria Martello back on the rear for another month, it's now completely bald and thoroughly killed.

The side knobs however are still intact with only a little undercutting. I don't know if it's because of the graphene or the thick knob supports, but the side knob longevity on these Vittoria tires is blowing my mind.

Side knob life is maybe double what I get out of DHR's. And like 1000x more than Rekons lol.

Good value.

Edit: Forgot to add that it's got 3 or 4 plugs in it. They're not the thickest tire under the tread to be sure. Only place the casing is thick in fact is that last centimeter next to the bead.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Aug. 10, 2022, 11:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 12, 2022, 10:35 a.m.

I put an almost new Baron back on my front wheel for incredibly dusty conditions. And I am amazed how much more grip it gives compared to a DHF Maxxterra Exo.

I bet the Argotal with longer knobs will be even better for dust and slop.

I suspect that this particular DHF I took off dried up in some warehouse for two years in the sun or something. It’s super sketchy, really strange. 

I quite liked the three DHFs of similar spec I rode before… 

The Baron also lasts longer for me. Maxxis side knobs wear fast.

July 23, 2022, 1:35 a.m.

Anyone noticing more cuts/punctures on DoubleDown casing Maxxis lately? Pedaled to the top of Seymour today (shuttle buddy out of town) and was maybe 5 min into a top to bottom descent when I sliced open my rear DHR II DD MaxxTerra, second one in about 10 months. Cut was in the middle of the tire between the centre knobs. Admittedly on both incidents I was jumping/dropping and tagged a rock so kind of bad luck, but in the 5 years prior DD/SuperGravity never failed me on trail bikes. Thinking about going DH casing on the rear now, I'm a heavier dude 215lbs so not totally unexpected.

July 23, 2022, 8:38 a.m.

I had an SE4 kicking around so I put it on the rear and bought an SE6 for up front. 

Result is fairly mediocre. I always found Bontrager, while not the absolute grippiest, to have a decent mix of weight/durability/rolling speed/grip. 

The SE6 feels quite slow rolling to me, as slow as an assegai, but not as confidence inspiring, so really just kinda not worth it. 

It's not bad enough to just abandon bit I'll be happy when it's worn out enough I can justify changing.

July 23, 2022, 11 a.m.

I have a good dozen rides on a set of Continental Kryptotal Front and Rear (DH supersoft front, Enduro soft rear due to availability)

Both tires run without any wobble. They roll surprisingly well, especially the rear tire. And grip is excellent. I had some rooty wet rides. And moon dust loose rides.

Very predictable! 

The casing feels fantastic, too. A good mix of support and suppleness. I don’t run any inserts and get away with 1.3 bar in the front and 1.6 bar in the rear tire.

They seem to hold up well, all knobs look like new still.

July 23, 2022, 1 p.m.

Summer sale at Chain reaction 25% off so I got another minion DHRII DD coming cuz some of the tread is very slightly peeling from the casing i figure 89$ is pretty good for that tire ?

I'm sticking with Maxxis and its fucking expensive but they havent let me down

also new grips, pedals, squirt to get past that 179 $ freeshipping

Last edited by: XXX_er on July 23, 2022, 1:02 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 24, 2022, 12:08 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I had an SE4 kicking around so I put it on the rear and bought an SE6 for up front. 

Result is fairly mediocre. I always found Bontrager, while not the absolute grippiest, to have a decent mix of weight/durability/rolling speed/grip. 

The SE6 feels quite slow rolling to me, as slow as an assegai, but not as confidence inspiring, so really just kinda not worth it. 

It's not bad enough to just abandon bit I'll be happy when it's worn out enough I can justify changing.

I just put a pair of SE6 on my hardtail. It took about a week for them to expand from 2.3 to the stated 2.5. At first they were underwhelming but todays ride was a blast. Came home and they felt a little soft.  12 rear and 11 front but I didn’t ding any rims today and they didn’t fold over in corners. Still that’s a bit soft even for me. I’m liking for current conditions now though. But they do look like a Maxxis Dissector took it in the Assegai and resulted in the tread pattern.

Aug. 10, 2022, 9:36 a.m.

Instaled the DD DHR II on a WTB rim,  put it on pour in some stan's, it inflates instantly with no problems, no weeping beed no weeping sidewalls or crooked beed,  probably the easiest tubeless instal I have eva done,

I got 1300 kms on the old tire , its got the usual wear & some of the side knobs started ripping so it was  time for the new tire and the old one is now a spare

Aug. 13, 2022, 4:21 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

I just put a pair of SE6 on my hardtail. It took about a week for them to expand from 2.3 to the stated 2.5. At first they were underwhelming but todays ride was a blast. Came home and they felt a little soft.  12 rear and 11 front but I didn’t ding any rims today and they didn’t fold over in corners. Still that’s a bit soft even for me. I’m liking for current conditions now though. But they do look like a Maxxis Dissector took it in the Assegai and resulted in the tread pattern.

I tried 20psi front 22psi rear. The grip is better, I thin it's easier to make the side knobs engage, but I rode John deer today and it was a symphony of rim strikes and also felt like the front was going to fold right over, so that's a no go for me unfortunately. Maybe with inserts.

Aug. 13, 2022, 8:05 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Posted by: andy-eunson

I tried 20psi front 22psi rear. The grip is better, I thin it's easier to make the side knobs engage, but I rode John deer today and it was a symphony of rim strikes and also felt like the front was going to fold right over, so that's a no go for me unfortunately. Maybe with inserts.

It helps that I only weigh 140. 30mm id rim and I find 16 and 17 about right.

Oct. 17, 2022, 6:21 a.m.

Has anyone tried the new Contis?

Oct. 17, 2022, 8:14 a.m.

I've had real good luck with the E-13 tires (latest version in mopro with the EN casing). also appreciably cheaper than maxxis/schwalbe.