how bout a good ol fashioned tire thread

Jan. 9, 2021, 10:56 p.m.

I'm considering stocking up a pile of the recently discontinued, still-on-a-couple-websites DHRII 26x2.8. Except one thing: I'm light and more cautious than aggressive, and these tires possess the only sidewall I've ever cut open.

In article comments, Andrew Major suggested the Dirt Wizard 26x3.0. It looks good, but it's also 380g heavier than the Minion+. Enough to second guess that idea (though I appreciated the suggestion). It's for the rear wheel of a mini mullet RM Altitude which I would like to keep playful.

Is that really all the big 26" tires?

I do know of the 2.6" Magic Mary but haven't really taken that thought seriously because it only comes in purple compound.

Jan. 10, 2021, 9:42 a.m.

Posted by: cheapondirt

I'm considering stocking up a pile of the recently discontinued, still-on-a-couple-websites DHRII 26x2.8. Except one thing: I'm light and more cautious than aggressive, and these tires possess the only sidewall I've ever cut open.

In article comments, Andrew Major suggested the Dirt Wizard 26x3.0. It looks good, but it's also 380g heavier than the Minion+. Enough to second guess that idea (though I appreciated the suggestion). It's for the rear wheel of a mini mullet RM Altitude which I would like to keep playful.

Is that really all the big 26" tires?

I do know of the 2.6" Magic Mary but haven't really taken that thought seriously because it only comes in purple compound.

I think the 26x2.75 Dirt Wizards I've got use a crazy hard compound.  Even at low-ish pressures (maybe 12-15psi? I forget) they are incredibly sketchy on wet rock at low speeds.  The 2.75s have been discontinued (and I missed them going on sale for US$35ea, DAMNIT!) but the 3.0s are still available.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 3.0 DWs are significantly larger than the 2.8 DHRIIs.  Surly has a nice geometry chart for their tires, but strangely, it doesn't include the 26x3.0 even though it's right there in the filename.  You can maybe at least check to see how much bigger the 2.75 DWs are than 2.8 DHRIIs.

https://surlybikes.com/uploads/downloads/_27719_SUR_Dirt_Wizard_26x3.0_Tire_Geo_VF_.pdf

I grabbed a pair of fast/light WTB Ranger 26x3.0s (which I think are actually closer to 2.8s) when they were discontinued and getting blown out for US$30ea.  It looks like the 26x2.8s are now discontinued, but I'm not seeing great deals on remaining stock anywhere yet.  I haven't actually mounted/ridden them (they're waiting in the wings for when my Dirt Wizards need replacement)  They've got micro knobs compared to the DWs though.

I'm trying to imagine the rolling resistance of 2.6 Magic Marys with Super Gravity casing and purple people eater rubber.  It might save you from ever having to buy brake pads again.

Looks like 26+ was a super-flash-in-the-pan.  I was hoping the fat bikers would buy enough of them as an option to make their bikes "sportier" to keep them alive, but I guess they are more likely to run 27.5+ or 29 wheels/tires rather than swapping a plus tire onto their fat rims...

Jan. 10, 2021, 4:07 p.m.

That lines up with what I've heard about DW's being very durable. Paul Aston measured the 27x3.0 at 2.65 (casing) and 2.9 (tread) on a 40mm rim, so if the 26" version is similar it would indeed be bigger than the Maxxis. Mine are about 2.6 on both the casing and tread, though on an i32 rim.

Oh yes I did look at the Ranger but it hardly seems suitable for hard riding.  I said I wasn't aggressive, but that's in our freeride-enduro-BC context. I'm still going to be pushing harder through corners than your average bikepacker.

I guess it is what it is. I should probably just get one or two more DHRII+, keep carrying a tube, and be ready for a 27.5 wheel purchase some day soon. At least my frame is ready for that! It's kind of nice to hear I'm not the only weirdo disappointed by 26+ dying.

Jan. 21, 2021, 4:31 p.m.

I now have 340km on the Verdict Judge combo. The grip is amazing in the wet and loose!!! The Verdict is sketchy AF on our greasy island rock. There is always trade offs and that was to be expected. The Assguy is about as good as it gets on island rock, imo.

I have to say I am disappointed in the carcass of the Judge Heavy Duty High Grip. It would randomly weep sealant around the bead. Not pressure related, 23psi. I ran 22PSI with DHRII DD.. I managed to wreck two of them with punctures and cuts. I have a Verdict Light High Grip on the front of and its been rock solid at 19psi. No weeping, no cuts no damage. I have Vigilante 2.6 Light High Grip front and back on my hardtail and theyhave been solid with only 100km. I do not hold back on my hardtail. 

I am now switching back to and Assguy DHRII combo.

March 7, 2021, 11:58 p.m.

Has anyone ridden the Vigi TB combo. I'm looking at them for UK summer tyres in 2.3". HGL Vigi, TFR TB. I'm currently on Verdict / Judge for my winter tyres - which I like but they're big old tyres.

I've just pulled the V/J off and they were nearly impossible to get off the bead even with a lever.  I've now got the Vigi/TB on so will update once I have some time on them.

Last edited by: fartymarty on March 12, 2021, 3:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 10, 2021, 8:39 p.m.

Maxxis question.... I just picked up a couple of lightly used OEM (white label) DHR II.  They don't say "3C" or "MaxxTerra/Speed/Grip" on the sidewall, just "EXO" and "TR".  Any idea what compound they would be?

March 10, 2021, 8:50 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Maxxis question.... I just picked up a couple of lightly used OEM (white label) DHR II.  They don't say "3C" or "MaxxTerra/Speed/Grip" on the sidewall, just "EXO" and "TR".  Any idea what compound they would be?

Probably dual compound (the hardest rubber they come in)

March 10, 2021, 11:18 p.m.

They work really well with the $25 3M tape!

March 11, 2021, 6:55 a.m.

Posted by: Heinous

They work really well with the $25 3M tape!

Is that Cush Core for the poors?

March 11, 2021, 2:14 p.m.

Anyone likes the Gen3 E Thirteen A/T tires ? I didn't mind the Gen1 but I found they were really slow rolling even in the Plus compound. 

I'm interested to try the Gen3 in the Mopo compound to see if I'd prefer a stickier front tire than the Magic Mary Addix Soft I'm currently using. This or I wait for the new Grappler tread pattern (more similar to Assegai) to come out in April. The side knobs seem smaller on the Grappler but I'm pretty sure that I'd prefer their 2-3/2-3 center knob layout.

Are any of you riding the Mopo compound? How is the rolling resistance? Thanks!

April 29, 2021, 10:02 p.m.

After having heard from E13 that the Grappler wouldn't be out until the Fall because of manufacturing delays, I ended up buying a few E Thirteen TRS A/T Mopo. I was successfully running 900g 29x2.35 Snakeskin Magic Marys Front/Rear (rear with Cushcore pro) without flats or rim dents so going with the 1050g E13 should be even better for durability and not too bad for weight. 

The gen1 casing was thick and not super supple and the gen3 are supposed to be more supple and cut resistant. Seems like the perfect casing weight/strength for rocky pedally rides.

I have always ran Maxxis dual compound rubber and Schwalbe Addix soft so I can't wait to try the stickier Mopo tires. Will update in a few weeks after hitting the trails!

Last edited by: martin on April 29, 2021, 10:08 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 30, 2021, 9:51 a.m.

I've been running the TRS Mopo front and LG1 EN Mopo rear for a while now. They have been really good on the Shore, Squamish and Pemby (wet and dry). They wear better than a Maxxis MaxxGrip compound and are just as grippy. The dual ply LG1 EN rear is similar to a Maxxis DD casing but a bit (about 50g) lighter. I didn't notice a difference in rolling resistance compared to a Maxxix DHR 2. After getting a bunch of Maxxis wobbly casings the e13 are my new go to tires...

April 30, 2021, 3:50 p.m.

Cool, good to hear! I was tempted by the Assegai but all the wobbly casing stories I've read about recent Maxxis tires didn't make me want to buy some.

Thanks for the feedback, it seems like the unicorn tire I was looking for.

Last edited by: martin on April 30, 2021, 3:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 23, 2021, 4:11 a.m.

Has anyone tried a Tough Fast Rolling WTB Riddler?

July 23, 2021, 9:03 a.m.

I need some 26” knobbies for my Norco Yukon - anyone know what’s out there for 26” skinwalls?  

Ideal would be a DHF front and Minion SS on the back but those seem to be discontinued. Only skinwalls I can find these days are slicks like the DTH.