how bout a good ol fashioned tire thread

June 10, 2019, 1:49 p.m.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/10/continental-bringing-sustainable-dandelion-rubber-taraxagum-tires-to-tour-de-france/

Last edited by: tungsten on June 10, 2019, 1:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 10, 2019, 12:08 a.m.

Anybody use Maxxis Rekons? I've just ordered a short travel trail bike and looking at options.

There was an Uncle Dave interview here a while back with someone from marketing at Maxxis and he was keen on the Rekons.

Oct. 10, 2019, 6:10 a.m.

I run the Rekon tires F&R on my Tallboy3 during the dry season.  2.6 on the front and 2.35 Race on the rear.  About ready to swap those out for the Forekaster now that the rains have arrived.  The Rekon does OK in the wet but the Forekaster does better in the mud & wet.

Cheers, Mike

Oct. 10, 2019, 12:19 p.m.

Ah, cheers. Bike comes stock with decent 2.3 dhf/dhr Minions. By going with 2.4 Rekon, 2.3 Rekon Race though I'd drop half a pound rotating mass.

Tallboy was #1 champagne choice, but having beer budget went with a 115mm Trance.

Dec. 21, 2019, 5:33 p.m.

2.5/2.4 WT Maxxis fit best on what width rim?

Dec. 21, 2019, 7:31 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

They claim they’re designed around a 30-35 mm rim. I don’t think you can go wrong with 30, which seems to have become the de facto standard rim width. But my bike came with 35 mm rims and I am liking the shape of a 2.5 DHF on there. The 2.5 Assegai squares up a bit more than it should.

Dec. 21, 2019, 7:50 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Posted by: tungsten

They claim they’re designed around a 30-35 mm rim. I don’t think you can go wrong with 30, which seems to have become the de facto standard rim width. But my bike came with 35 mm rims and I am liking the shape of a 2.5 DHF on there. The 2.5 Assegai squares up a bit more than it should.

Agreed. I have 2.5 assegais on i35 rims and they're squarer than I'd like. They'd be better on i30. WT Minions do ok on i35 though.

Sept. 23, 2020, 9:36 p.m.

Thread bump.

So with the fall/winter riding upon us I'm looking at some different sticky tires. Anyone use the Michelen wild Enduros gum X- Xtra sticky? I'm leaning towards the Max grip exo Minions.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Sept. 23, 2020, 9:54 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 23, 2020, 10:58 p.m.

^ Is this a joke? 

Michelin Wild Enduro Front and Rear is the hottest Enduro-Bro Fuck Boi tyre combo of 2020. I’d say a Maxxis Assguy/DHRII would be a second with some weirdly named Schwalbe Eddy/Betty/Mary combo. 

Be avant-garde and run Michelin DH22 F/R or DH22/DH34 F/R combo on your enduro/trail/pedal bike.

Sept. 24, 2020, 6:58 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

^ Is this a joke? 

Michelin Wild Enduro Front and Rear is the hottest Enduro-Bro Fuck Boi tyre combo of 2020. I’d say a Maxxis Assguy/DHRII would be a second with some weirdly named Schwalbe Eddy/Betty/Mary combo. 

Be avant-garde and run Michelin DH22 F/R or DH22/DH34 F/R combo on your enduro/trail/pedal bike.

Haha. No not a joke.

Everyone I ride with pretty much uses maxxis only.  So ya looking for some honest feed back on the wild Enduros. The review on pinkbike wasn't so great.

Sept. 24, 2020, 8:47 a.m.

I like the Wild Enduros. My setup was Magi-X front, Gum-X rear. As the PB review suggested, they feel more spikey than your typical Maxxis. As such, they dig into soft or loose dirt with more traction, and the knobs are well-supported so they feel good on hardpack as well. Where they're a bit worse than a DHF or Assegai is on wet rocks and roots, since the knobs feel like they comply less to the terrain. The front tire doesn't feel as draggy as a Maxx Grip Assegai, which is a plus. The rear feels similar to a DHRII Maxx Terra in rolling speed.

The casing is spot-on (front is EXO+-ish and rear is more like a DD). The front wore well, but the rear wore out a bit quicker than I'd like, with many side knobs undercut. But even with the undercut side knobs, the grip on the rear tire still felt good.

Overall, I found they strike a nice balance between grip and rolling speed, and the casing weight is good for general riding. The main downside is wear rate of the rear tire, and they may not be as good a choice as other options if you ride lots of wet roots (but the grip is sweet in the softer stuff). They are also priced quite well.

Sept. 24, 2020, 8:54 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Posted by: Endur-Bro

^ Is this a joke? 

Haha. No not a joke.

Everyone I ride with pretty much uses maxxis only.  So ya looking for some honest feed back on the wild Enduros. The review on pinkbike wasn't so great.

I have run them since the spring, so i had a bit of wet weather performance on mine. I was told to get the Gum X F+R for my island riding. previously dhf / dhr in summer, magic mary/dhr winter. I have yet to run across another rider in my area that runs them. it seems that Maxxis rules the roost here. 

I like them, they work. they are cheaper than Maxxis. will buy again. I had 1 puncture, my fault for a bad line, jumping into some blast rock granite shards. that was back in the spring. 1 plug. its still there, tire still good. Tire life seems to of been the same as a DHR2. the bike this tire is on was in for warrenty, so i missed 7 weeks of riding. riding is a mix of Enduro/DH, some xc / trail and some dusty Silverstar laps.

Sept. 24, 2020, 8:55 a.m.

I like the Wild Enduros. My setup was Magi-X front, Gum-X rear. As the PB review suggested, they feel more spikey than your typical Maxxis. As such, they dig into soft or loose dirt with more traction, and the knobs are well-supported so they feel good on hardpack as well. Where they're a bit worse than a DHF or Assegai is on wet rocks and roots, since the knobs feel like they comply less to the terrain. The front tire doesn't feel as draggy as a Maxx Grip Assegai, which is a plus. The rear feels similar to a DHRII Maxx Terra in rolling speed.

The casing is spot-on (front is EXO+-ish and rear is more like a DD). The front wore well, but the rear wore out a bit quicker than I'd like, with many side knobs undercut. But even with the undercut side knobs, the grip on the rear tire still felt good.

Overall, I found they strike a nice balance between grip and rolling speed, and the casing weight is good for general riding. The main downside is wear rate of the rear tire, and they may not be as good a choice as other options if you ride lots of wet roots (but the grip is sweet in the softer stuff). They are also priced quite well.

Thanks for that. Ya the price for one winter season is pretty good. What width you running D_C_? 

I just did a spring/summer with the Goodyear Newtons,  I really liked them but they are burned out and wanna go with something a bit softer. Wet roots are the norm around here for sure.

Sept. 24, 2020, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Thanks for that. Ya the price for one winter season is pretty good. What width you running D_C_? 

I just did a spring/summer with the Goodyear Newtons,  I really liked them but they are burned out and wanna go with something a bit softer. Wet roots are the norm around here for sure.

I ran 29x2.4. The grip on wet roots isn't awful, but it falls short of something like an Assegai Maxx Grip, which feels like it conforms to the ground and sticks to anything.

Sept. 26, 2020, 6:33 p.m.

Looking for a light yet confidence inspiring front tire for my wife's megatower. She runs a minion on the back of both her bikes. I tried putting magic Mary 2.35 on the front of both her bikes. She likes it on the tallboy. She found it too skinny and not confidence inspiring enough on the mega. It weighs about 800g.

She likes the minion 2.5 exo maxx gripp she had on there before but at a little over 1000g, im looking for something similar size, compound but maybe 100g lighter? Thoughts? Or should I just slap the minion on and tell her it's 100g lughter than the old one.