Hot weather gear?

July 6, 2011, 11:09 a.m.

Stupid question, probably. But I'm used to the mild west coast temperatures.

I'll be heading up to the Okanagan at some point this month and am looking for advice on avoiding heat stroke. I rode a bit last year when it was in the high 30's and was pretty fucked up after. I'm in better shape this year but would like advice if anyone has any.

I know water is key-but any advice about camelback vs waterbottles? Last year I had both but put my waterbottles in my pack along with the camelback bladder. I'm thinking this time around I will put the waterbottles on the bike just to take some weight off my back.

How about riding jersey? All mine are dark. Any advantage in picking up something in white? Short sleeve I assume? Although keeping the sun off the arms would prevent crispy bacon burning. But that's what sunscreen is for.

Sock advice? All my favorite socks are merino wool. I have a couple pairs that are suuuuper thin that I wear on warm days but would I be better off with something synthetic? My problem with synthetic bike socks is that they tend to feel slippery and that feels strange inside my shoe.

Probably not doing anything too technical. More xc exploring around the penticton/naramata area on my hardtail. Just don't want to get sick like I did last year.

Also, are rattlers a serious concern? My ride last year went through some areas with lots of signs warning about snakes and quite frankly that scare the hell out of my west coast ass.

Wrong. Always.

July 6, 2011, 11:10 a.m.

bamboo socks are awesome for warm days.

July 6, 2011, 11:11 a.m.

bamboo socks are awesome for warm days.

Oooh, I've been meaning to try them. Wear does one get them? MEC?

Wrong. Always.

July 6, 2011, 11:20 a.m.

Pack works, but get one designed to deal with helping you stay cool. The Deuter Race Air EXP has a mesh Aircomfort back panel system that allows air to pass over your back between the mesh and the actual pack. It's proven to keep your core temps lower. Fill it up with a 3L bladder and you should be good for hydration. Put some ice in the bladder so the water stays cold longer.

http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpack-details.php?category=123[HTML_REMOVED]id=1708[HTML_REMOVED]title=Race%20EXP%20Air

NorthShoreBikeShop carries Deuter and Mattj is a big fan of his Aircomfort style packs.

Merino socks are fine, especially if they are the thin ones.

Some people swear by a super thin cotton button up shirt when it's really desert hot. It gets soaked in sweat but keeps the sun off you, any breeze and you actually get some active cooling from the sweat.

If doing long exposed dirt road climbing I'd even suggest a big wide brimmed straw sun hat for the climb. Anything that keeps the sun off your neck and face will help keep your temps down.

July 6, 2011, 11:35 a.m.

if your skin is sensitive the long sleeve and collared white dress shirt is a good idea, for all the reasons shirk mentioned. so is ice in the water bladder and bottles (and a little gatorade powder to replenish electrolytes). light merino wool socks should be fine. keep tabs on how you are feeling and moderate your exertion - my experience from treeplanting: if you bonk in the bush on a hot sunny day it will suck

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

July 6, 2011, 11:37 a.m.

light coloured sleevless jerseys. I wear lightweight merino all summer, I like it, although I haven't tried bamboo. and my best advise is to choose your riding location for the time of day - west slopes in morning, / east in the evening. that's how I survive and those who know me know that I'm big, out of shape and a sweater.

July 6, 2011, 11:45 a.m.

I've ridden the interior on some hot days and I don't do heat very well so I'll add some stuff along the same lines as the others. Drink water, like as in the entire time you're there. Before the ride, during the ride, after the ride, in the evening, morning etc…you see where I'm going here. Dehydration is a major bummer when you've got a few rides planned. In that note try to keep the alcohol down as it just dehydrates you worse. Some type of electrolyte replacement is handy as well. I've had to take some down days on some summer riding vacations when I let my water intake get a bit low and it sucks when you only have a few days.

The pack that Shirk posted looks pretty good, get as big a water bladder as possible and like the others have said put ice in it before you fill it up

wear sunscreen, but be careful to keep it away from your eyes as you sweat.

did I say drink lots and lots of water?

July 6, 2011, 11:51 a.m.

Oooh, I've been meaning to try them. Wear does one get them? MEC?

I got a bunch of these from the states: http://klenlaundry.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail[HTML_REMOVED]p=11

July 6, 2011, 12:08 p.m.

We travel to ride in the SW US desert every year:

Light colour, well vented helmet (avoid roasted brain)
Fill your waterbottle with gatorade, take a mouthfull when you stop
Plan ahead and have another liter bottle of gatorade per person in the cooler for post ride
Thin gloves
As others have said get a pack that keeps the pack away from your body (I have several of the Deuter packs Shirk posted)
3L bladder
Tight fitting Sunglasses (ever sun burnt your eyes?)
Light colour jersey
SPF 45 if you are going to be out there a bunch of hours (don't forget the back of the ears, sun burnt ears suck!).
In the past my brother has hung a bandana off the back of his helmet to keep the sun off his neck.
Another way to get salt durning a ride is to snack on beef jerky
Sweatband (sweat in the eyes sucks)

Hydrate before you ride, re-hydrate after the ride.
I find I crave salty snacks after a ride.

edit:
BTW, a lot of the other brands of sport drinks suck. Check the sodium [HTML_REMOVED] potasium level, that is what you are looking for. Some of the other brands are just various types of sugar with flavouring.

July 6, 2011, 12:09 p.m.

Bamboo as it's processed for almost all clothing items is just rayon. No special abilities beyond rayon and still just as nasty for the environment.

Hemp bast based fabrics are a much better alternative.

I am going to be testing some hemp/cotton mix items that claim to perform really well in high heat. Will report back.

I am a HUGE fan of lightweight (150 gsm) merino in warm weather, but can understand how some people don't like merino when it's drentched with sweat.

July 6, 2011, 12:13 p.m.

BTW, when air temps. get over body temp. you need to be drinking a liter of water an hour. Plan accordingly.

I've ridden with people down in Colorado who start a ride with 2 3L bags and finish both.

July 6, 2011, 12:26 p.m.

I don't need to add much as there has been tons of good info posted already. A few other tricks that we use here in Penticton:
-Prehydrate as much as possible. On a ride day, I'll usually try to get at least a litre in me before a morning ride (not always easy)
-Start riding early. You'll feel tired to start, but thank yourself when you are done before the afternoon heat.
-Stop in the shade to cool down before you start to feel too hot.

If you need some trail maps for the Penticton area, send me a pm.

July 6, 2011, 12:48 p.m.

geez… cold beer, a big van to take you up and a lake to jump in is all you need.

July 6, 2011, 12:49 p.m.

Also, are rattlers a serious concern? My ride last year went through some areas with lots of signs warning about snakes and quite frankly that scare the hell out of my west coast ass.

The Okanagan locals can chime in but I've never had a problem with them in BC although I have heard them.

I ran over a BIG bull snake in northern Washington, just across the border from Osoyoos. They aren't dangerous though. Snakes like to hang out on roads and trails warming in the sun. With their colouring they can look like tree branches or just blend in to their surrounding.

We did have an encounter with this guy when riding in Arizona.

He had built a nest right beside the trail. The first guy past was okay, but by the time the 2nd rider came by he was out and pissed. We had to warn all of the other riders in the group to give this guy a wide berth.

July 6, 2011, 1:11 p.m.

Thanks, lots of good advice here. It is much appreciated.

I think I'll be fine with the thin merino socks. I'll pick up a light coloured moisture wicking t-shirt. My helmet has tons of vents and is mostly white. If I'm doing a long climb with the sun beating down on me maybe I'll fashion some sort of neck shade thing using white cotton from the back of my helmet to the top of my pack. I don't know if I want to invest in a new pack for just a couple of days of riding but that Deuter looks sweet.

Water…I'll keep drinking it the whole time. I'll be up with various friends and there will definitely be some beverage consumption. I'll try to minimize that the nights before I ride. Might be tough tho, the biking part is just a side part of my trip which is mostly socializing, laying by the pool, eating, etc. Oh yeah and I drink a lot of coffee so I better really hit the water. I was pretty messed up last year. It was so hot, record breaking I think. And I biked for a couple hours in the afternoon. I missed a good dinner that night because I was such a mess.

Wrong. Always.