Hopey Steering Damper?

Dec. 8, 2003, 8:25 p.m.

Originally posted by IFO
**people who use em, realy like em…

but when i asked myself if the Hopey would allow my riding to do things i wasnt already doing i was forced to admit the Hopey didnt offer anything i was prepared to spend so much money on….

they are expensive, and dont really seem to make your bike drasticly different…

im sure its a cool peice of technology, but i honestly dont feel my steering control is lacking not having it…

so the Hopey isnt all on my list of things to own…

:( **

No offense but a set of juicys over grimecas, or a big hit over a norco shore wont allow you to do things you already werent….

Dec. 8, 2003, 10:34 p.m.

lol too funny

Dec. 8, 2003, 10:48 p.m.

Originally posted by wisc fr-rider
No offense but a set of juicys over grimecas, or a big hit over a norco shore wont allow you to do things you already werent….

OWNED!

:lol::lol::lol:

Dec. 8, 2003, 11:32 p.m.

Originally posted by wisc fr-rider

good point….;)

i guess what i was trying to say, but maybe was avoiding. is the technology behind the Hopey just doesnt interest me enuf to purchase one…

p.s. i have never owned a Norco shore…

Dec. 8, 2003, 11:36 p.m.

and i agree with you completely IFO. that steering damper technology may be for some, but certainly not me at this point.

Dec. 9, 2003, 5:35 a.m.

yah i understand that completly, steering damper isn't my thing either, maybe if a i raced dh i would try it but i doubt it, i was just giving you a little grief:) :P

Dec. 9, 2003, 6:43 a.m.

I had one for a while.

does it work as advertised? Yes it does. Works very well, but it also ovalized my headbube. If the Hopey didn't require that little bracket under the headset cup, I would probably try one again. Having the option of taking it completely off whenever you don't need it (like when not racing) would be sweet..but the fact that it ruined my frame left a bad taste in my mouth.

PinkBike::e.thirteen

Dec. 9, 2003, 9:35 a.m.

yea considering how much it is, the idea of that thing causing that kind of damage to my bike gives me the shivers.

Dec. 11, 2003, 9 a.m.

Originally posted by Acadian
does it work as advertised? Yes it does. Works very well, but it also ovalized my headbube.

Yep. Classic example of a great idea but a bad design. Clamping the bracket between the headtube and the headset cup is a very bad idea. I'm surprised Hopey hasn't had more people complaining about this. The bracket needs to be attached either to the headtube with a pinch-bolt (like motorcycle dampeners), to the top tube (don't know how you'd do this unless you buy a Rotec) or built in to the upper headset cup. I'd buy one in a heart beat if they could figure out the bracket mount because they actually do work very well.

Life is uncertain, death is not.

Dec. 12, 2003, 6:14 a.m.

Originally posted by GrimniR
I'd buy one in a heart beat if they could figure out the bracket mount because they actually do work very well.

same here…

PinkBike::e.thirteen

Dec. 14, 2003, 1:21 p.m.

hey phildo,
I talked to mr hopey at interbike, and chilled with him some too. Hes a cool enough guy but admitted that his team riders use it turned up like 2 clicks out of 16 or something like that. Point is they dont use much of it. He has a demo thing to prove its usefulness but it only proves it in some circumstances. And I talke to some of the dirtrag staff, one guy worked for hopey and wont ride it and one guy is just a staff member and swears by it so go figure.

Dec. 14, 2003, 1:40 p.m.

tippie uses one if i'm not wrong. proves there must be some usefullness on a freeride bike

msn messanger= [email protected]

Originally posted by Coop
quick ! to the intolerance-mobile!

It didn't taste like easy mac at all. It tasted like Satan

Dec. 16, 2007, 10:47 a.m.

I had one for a while.

does it work as advertised? Yes it does. Works very well, but it also ovalized my headbube. If the Hopey didn't require that little bracket under the headset cup, I would probably try one again. Having the option of taking it completely off whenever you don't need it (like when not racing) would be sweet..but the fact that it ruined my frame left a bad taste in my mouth.

It is impossible for a Hopey Steering Damper on it's own to ovalize a headtube.

Dec. 16, 2007, 9:05 p.m.

wow, random 4 years and 2 days thread old resurrection.

I'm a gearbox-bike nut.

Dec. 16, 2007, 10:55 p.m.

haha, Blaines sig brings me back. Oh Firefly.

I troll shitty posters like yourself, because it's amusing to watch you skidmarks get all riled up.