Hope Tech 3 V4 Bleed Tips

Jan. 20, 2021, 4:40 p.m.

Hello NSMBers,

Anyone have tips on bleeding Hope Tech 3 V4 (or E4) brakes? 

I installed some new brakes and had to route through the fame, now the lever on the rear compresses to the bar without engaging the brake (unless I pump it a comical number of times). 

I tried a top up bleed (à la Shimano) today, but it didn't take care of my levers to the handlebar issue.  So tonight, after watching multiple YouTube videos at work, I'm going to attempt a full bleed after watching some Youtube videos.

Anyone have any practical tips?

Thanks!

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Jan. 20, 2021, 5:20 p.m.

No leaks anywhere? I can usually reattach a lever without needing a bleed so I'm suspicious.

Somebody here will have better tips, but my usual general bleed method hope there's something here that you can use:

(Lazy top bleed first with lots of lever flicking and moving of bars, which you've tried).

Bottom to top bleed: Take off the rear caliper, drop it as low as possible, get every bend in the hose top to bottom pointing uphill.

Move a large volume of fluid slowly back and forth from master cylinder to caliper repeatedly.

Do a top vacuum bleed for any remaining stubborn bubbles if needed, being very careful to pull gently so as not to pop a seal.

Jan. 20, 2021, 5:33 p.m.

With Hope brakes I tend to go 'old school' and remove the reservoir cap and bladder thingy, bleed from the bottom up assuming the fluid looks OK (never push shitty old fluid through a Shimano lever.....) and I use another syringe to catch the fluid in the reservoir as it fills up rather than just spilling it all over the floor.... Push enough fluid through. Clean the caliper and install pads. Roughly install the caliper so pistons can be set by pressing the lever. Make sure that the reservoir is nice and level, fill it to the brim, install the bladder open side last so fluid escapes and air doesn't get trapped, and re-install the cap. Bob's yer Uncle and Fanny's yer Aunt.

Jan. 20, 2021, 7:04 p.m.

Hope brakes have an open reservoir at the lever end. Thanks for the tips though.

Jan. 20, 2021, 7:16 p.m.

Yes. Just dip the syringe into the fluid and suck it up.

Jan. 20, 2021, 7:29 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Yes. Just dip the syringe into the fluid and suck it up.

Your comment was spot on. I was replying to Hepcat

Last edited by: rnayel on Jan. 20, 2021, 7:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 20, 2021, 7:39 p.m.

Ok!

Jan. 21, 2021, 8:35 a.m.

Update, after the first attempt, I got the brakes feeling great in the stand, with the spacer in at the caliper (using a shimano saint bleed block), closed the system, did the top up process, reinstalled the pads and the rear wheel... Lever is still compressing to the bar. However, now it actually engages the brake while doing so. So it is better than pre-bleed but there is still air in the system. I'm going to try again tomorrow and if it fails, I'll drop the bike off at the shop on Saturday.

Jan. 21, 2021, 9:58 p.m.

Did it!!!!!!

No need for a bleed block.  Thanks for the tips @trumpstinyhands

Jan. 22, 2021, 6:57 a.m.

No problem!

Jan. 25, 2021, 10:28 p.m.

This is a brake thread so I'll ask here.

I had to chop off the brake hose at teh lever to pull it out of frame and collect the rubber and screw caps can I shove another thingamajig in the cut end to make it good?

Guess a shop would have that brass crimp and tool for it?

Last edited by: tungsten on Jan. 25, 2021, 10:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 25, 2021, 11:21 p.m.

Olive & barb. Needs to be same brand as hose.

Hammer the barb in, screw the hose down and olive is expanded.

Edit: That was a terrible explanation. Better to YouTube it😅

Last edited by: Hepcat on Jan. 25, 2021, 11:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2021, 4:50 p.m.

I'll bump this thread as I ran into this problem numerous times bleeding the rear brake (V4). What eventually got it was to unbolt the caliper from the rear post mount so the bleed nipple would be the highest point of the actual caliper. If you don't do that, air will get trapped in the caliper, resulting in bubbles and that mushy brake lever with an excessive throw. 

On some bike, like on my bronson (V3), the postmount angles the caliper the wrong way and points the bleed nipple downwards, making it impossible to get a proper bleed. It took me awhile to figure that one out and to actually detach the caliper from the post mount to get the bleed nipple in a proper orientation! A small bump in the road of what I think is the finest pair of brakes out there right now.