Hoots shin pad confusion

Aug. 19, 2003, 6:55 p.m.

A couple months ago I bought Hoots freeride shin pads. They were all black, had a few air holes, and had two velcro straps per pad that that each routed through a plastic guide. They also had the knee pad attatchment feature. Basically, they looked like the ones in this picture:

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view[HTML_REMOVED]image=101844

The plastic routing thing tore off due to a defect, so I brought them to my LBS for warrenty.

Eventually, the Hoots rep left replacement pads at the LBS. The replacements have an embossed "H" on the hard plastic portion, and are made from what looks to be much simpler materials. They also have a very basic strap system that routes through slots in cut in the pad itself. They don't have the knee pad attatchment thing, nor do they have any venting. I found this picture which is basically them:

http://www.nsmb.com/images/product_reviews/product_images/hoots_shin.jpg

The only difference with the ones I have is that they have the new logo on strap instead of the old one shown in the picture.

So… what's going on here? I didn't expect to get the pads replaced with an older, inferior version. I'm curious to know what the actual latest version of the pad is? Would this be it?

http://hootsgear.com/images/products_shin_front_03.jpg

BANSHEE BIKES * AVALANCHE * BROOKLYN

Aug. 19, 2003, 7:52 p.m.

This post sounds very much like an email or phone call you would send Hoots or your local bike shop so that you can get answers from the source. If what you suggest is true then you need to have a warranty repair done on your straps and you keep your gear. hmmmm.

Aug. 19, 2003, 8:16 p.m.

My LBS doesn't really know what's going on. The Ontario rep was supposed to be in a while ago to bring other stuff but he's been MIA.

Maybe my post wasn't totally clear - my pads broke and were replaced under warrenty by the Ontario rep with what seems to be an old version of the pad.

BANSHEE BIKES * AVALANCHE * BROOKLYN

Aug. 19, 2003, 8:43 p.m.

the first picture you posted are this one that i have a i got them about a month ago. you were given 2002 pads i believe. talk to the rep or talk directly to hoots. wicked customer service and dalen is a rad guy. he helped me out. i would do whatever it takes to get the new ones. dont settle for an older product.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Aug. 19, 2003, 8:47 p.m.

that might be all they had in stock to send you.

i waited a good 5-6 weeks for a pair of freeride elbow and knee pads to arrive.

the guy at hoots said they were actually being made.he had none at all in stock

the pair that i received was one of the first pairs to get delivered
to the factory.

you still should get a 2003 model.not an old one

Aug. 19, 2003, 8:58 p.m.

Originally posted by IP FreeLee
This post sounds very much like an email or phone call you would send Hoots or your local bike shop so that you can get answers from the source. If what you suggest is true then you need to have a warranty repair done on your straps and you keep your gear. hmmmm.

:lol:

http://www.cyberetrothreads.com

ya fuck you windows. fuck you too door.

Aug. 20, 2003, 12:21 a.m.

nick1111, do what IP FreeLee suggested. He knows the Hoots gear very well. ;)

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 20, 2003, 3:17 p.m.

Go back to your LBS and have them call Hoots Gear directly, they will take care of you. It sounds like the rep was trying to do you a favour by getting you something quickly, but he wouldn't have stock in all the pads, he's just a rep, not a warehouse. Use the ones he gave you until new ones can be sent. Or you could just go to a shoe repair place and have them stiched, that's what I did with mine, cost me about $15 to have all the stitching re-enforced and I was never without my pads.:D