Home Bike Workshops

June 16, 2017, 1:28 p.m.

Hi guys,

I have a decent sized shed that I want to convert into kind of a home bike workshop.  I know I need the basics like a repair stand and work bench and such, but I would love to see other people's setups in case there are some nifty ideas that I can take advantage of. 

So, what's everybody have?  Any recommendations?

June 16, 2017, 3:03 p.m.

I'll take this as an opportunity to clean mine up and take some photos. It's currently filthy, but I'll get around to it this weekend! 

Something I saw from a local shop which I also adopted was using a magnetic knife rack for the tools that I most commonly reach for. Easy way to always know where your hex keys are...

Last edited by: jan on June 16, 2017, 3:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 16, 2017, 3:55 p.m.

Light makes quite a difference my shed had no windows so it was pretty dark, one could phuck around putting in windows but i noticed  the roof uses 5 panels of metal roofing, most of that metal roofing also comes in clear so I was able to buy 2 panel of the exact same style of roofing, unscrew 2 panels alternate clear/solid for a cheap n easy sky light ... daylight in my shed now!

those magnetic strips can be really cheap at princess auto BTW

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 16, 2017, 3:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 16, 2017, 8:18 p.m.

I recommend a good vice. It's almost like having a third pair of hands for fork rebuilds and pressing/removing bearings. I want to make some changes to my workshop as well so I'm looking forward to this thread. 

I also agree with whoever recommended good lighting. I have some overhead lights in my garage and it's way better than the dim single bulb light I had before.

June 16, 2017, 9:01 p.m.

I'm jealous of all this shed conversation. Currently flipping my bike in the living room to make ends meet, crude but effective!

June 17, 2017, 5:11 a.m.

I actually took my old dining room chandelier and installed it in the shed when I gave my dining room a makeover. The only downside is I am still running the 40 watt incandescent mood lighting bulbs, but I figure swapping in some bright white LEDs will give me all the lighting I could ask for in there.

I call it my "shedelier"

Last edited by: Ninjatarian on June 17, 2017, 5:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.