Hitch rack vs Roof rack

March 3, 2006, 8:37 a.m.

Rim racks (holds by the rims) and tray systems both delt with the odd shaped bike problem. The NS Rack IMO (and I don't even own one) is my favorite.
Bike sway - if on a road little sway for roof mounted but possibly some for some of the hitch mounted types.
Off-road - both have issues. Hitch mounted extends your vehicle so even if (like the above mentioned) hitch racks raise your bikes higher than the vehicle your departure angle is going to be worse. Roof ones - well now we have major sway (my buddy has the cobra ones and going up the Vedder road when it use to be drivable for his van - the bikes would swing 30 degrees to either side - scary!)
Lifting is a pain but access to the rear is lost with hitch.
If you bent your reciever it means you were using the useless 1/1/4" reciever instead of the 2" receiver (you can put a 2" receiver even on a car though it might need to be custom made but it's worth it).
I've carried 4 bikes on a tray system - even off road (But it was easy offroad - far too long a vehicle with 4 bikes for anything other than bumpy dirt) and for long trips I have a modified hitch (not the receiver) to allow me to pull a trailer and have 3 bikes on my rimrack.

Finally - any system that has pivots for folding up or allowing access to the rear (this is for hitch systems) WILL droop over time. Recently I had most of my rim rack welded together to prevent the drooping (fatigue occurs at the pivot points). So although people want the folding features in the long run it will cause your rack to droop (thus I prefered the old NS rack to the new version which allows you to drop the rack down - heck it's almost as easy to remove the rack from the receiver as to fold it down to get access to the rear)

What to recommend? Depends. Two bikes - roof would be a good system assuming you don't plan to carry anything else on the roof at the same time (I carry a box and multiple ww kayaks at times). More than two bikes - go with a good hitch mount rack (NS rack is my choice, but other tray systems are good choices too). If you are using a hitch mount - make sure you have a 2" receiver (has a much greater tongue weight - the 1.25" are silly anyways)

March 3, 2006, 8:54 a.m.

I like roof racks

http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5315[HTML_REMOVED]c=9

9 bikes and riders.

March 3, 2006, 9:19 a.m.

I like roof racks

http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5315[HTML_REMOVED]c=9

9 bikes and riders.

Hi ho silver(ado) away hey rat looks great

Drinks Beer Wags Tail

March 3, 2006, 9:54 a.m.

I have been running a sportworks hitch rack and king cobras on the roof. It's a great combo. It's much easier loading the hitch though and it can fold down with the bikes attached to allow you access to the hatch.

Or both if you want to have a real shuttle vehicle - four bikes minimum!

March 3, 2006, 10:48 a.m.

^^ The Sportsworks T2 are great hitch racks and so are the roof rack versions. I curently have a 4 bike rack on the hitch and 3 on the roof.

Team Shuttlewhore

March 3, 2006, 10:53 a.m.

I have an element as well. It is currently setup with sportworks/thule T2 for 3bikes . I can easily throw 1 bike inside for local shuttling to carry 4 people.

March 3, 2006, 12:10 p.m.

i already have a class 3 hitch ( 2" ) and a thule roof rack set up
i also have a ghetto old swagman hitch rack that carries 2 bikes tops :rocker:
so i would be able to take 4-6 bikes with the roof rack. i think im going to go for a roof rack and i can throw a bike inside.

does anyone know if you can put more then two trays on one rack
i know i can run a smaller box, and two trays so that would be a pretty cool thing for roadtrips.

oh and i only have my N so i can drive like 3 ppl max when i go with my bro

brokezors

March 7, 2006, 1:12 a.m.

Sharon, or anyone, does having bikes mounted on the roof really degrade gas mileage by a noticeable margin?

by how much approx?

March 7, 2006, 2:36 a.m.

Sharon, or anyone, does having bikes mounted on the roof really degrade gas mileage by a noticeable margin?

by how much approx?

This looks like a job for Myth Busters http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html

I would also like to know the answer!!

How did I end up here?

March 7, 2006, 8:49 a.m.

by how much approx?

it does, although i imagine by how much depends on how aerodynamic your vehicle was to begin with. you can feel it in the gas pedal for sure when just cruising along.

toshiclark.com

March 7, 2006, 12:50 p.m.

I have an Element. The dealer tried to sell me a rack. I looked at him, I raised my hand to the top of the over 6 foot tall Element, I am 5'5" and I said, "Are you kidding me?" I would need a step stool to get a bike up there. But I can get my VPFree in there wheels on and all no sweat. Rubber bungee from the floor clip to the "carabiner" and bob's your unckle. One seat up in the back. But that's a size small bike with 25inch bars. Any bigger and it could be a chore.

If I was to get a rack it would be a hitch mount. But I seem to recall there is a law about obscuring your licence plate. Lot's of people drive about with a heap of bikes out back blocking their plates. But that doen't make it legal and it would suck for a cop to stop you and make you put the bikes inside when you had no room.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 7, 2006, 12:58 p.m.

I have an Element. The dealer tried to sell me a rack. I looked at him, I raised my hand to the top of the over 6 foot tall Element, I am 5'5" and I said, "Are you kidding me?" I would need a step stool to get a bike up there. But I can get my VPFree in there wheels on and all no sweat. Rubber bungee from the floor clip to the "carabiner" and bob's your unckle. One seat up in the back. But that's a size small bike with 25inch bars. Any bigger and it could be a chore.

If I was to get a rack it would be a hitch mount. But I seem to recall there is a law about obscuring your licence plate. Lot's of people drive about with a heap of bikes out back blocking their plates. But that doen't make it legal and it would suck for a cop to stop you and make you put the bikes inside when you had no room.

teh obscuring you lisence plate is on a permanent basis thing i believe. i seriously doubt any cop is gonna pull you over, if he did it would never stand up in court anyway, the judge would laugh it out. besides, waht about all the people towing a trailer?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 7, 2006, 1:28 p.m.

synchro: it happened to dirk. asked him to remove it… probably not very often u will find a cop who would do that.

:high: :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: :high:

March 7, 2006, 1:32 p.m.

synchro: it happened to dirk. asked him to remove it… probably not very often u will find a cop who would do that.

did he have a bike on the rack at the time?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 7, 2006, 2:10 p.m.

no. it was folded up.

:high: :.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: :high: