Hitch Mounted Swing Rack suggestions

April 29, 2016, 8:28 a.m.

Can't seem to find any good current comparison threads of current racks out there, anyone have any of these or have any suggestions?

I just got a new SUV and looking for a new 2-bike rack that can tilt back to open the rear gate on the car, not sure which one to get.

Personally I would use this for both mountain and road bikes so the North Shore rack is out. Below are three I have in-mind.

Kuat NV-2

Thule T2 Pro

Hollywood Sport Rack

Cheers

April 29, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

Can't seem to find any good current comparison threads of current racks out there, anyone have any of these or have any suggestions?

I just got a new SUV and looking for a new 2-bike rack that can tilt back to open the rear gate on the car, not sure which one to get.

Personally I would use this for both mountain and road bikes so the North Shore rack is out. Below are three I have in-mind.

Kuat NV-2

Thule T2 Pro

Hollywood Sport Rack

Cheers

I have owned a Kuat, and sold it within about 3 months of ownership. Far too much play in the mechanism as well as the arms that secure the front wheels. Bought a 1UP and was amazed at how solid and well thought out it is. No rack is perfect, but it has the least compromises of all that I have tried. Also own an NSR-4, but as you said for road bikes it is out.

April 29, 2016, 8:58 a.m.

http://www.swagman.net/product/semi-2-0/

This is a one I use. Rock solid

April 29, 2016, 9:54 a.m.

I am extremely satisfied with my Thule T2. I have an older model that is probably 8 years old or so…

The only downsides I can find to it is the weight and the price. It is very nice for pretty much everything else.

April 29, 2016, 11:05 a.m.

My vote is the Kuat NV-2. Had mine for 2 years now. If often has 2 downhill bikes on the back of it. I haven't noticed the problems reported from the above poster. It's very convenient and quick to use. Parts have held up well over time. When I researched bike racks, the others you mentioned also got good reviews - and so does the 1Up.

April 29, 2016, 2:06 p.m.

The one 1up brand is expensive but all/most of the 4wd van guys in the usa swear by them . They are also all aluminum so rust issues are a big fat nope:)
or get a north shore rack and do this

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb6829487/p4pb6829487.jpg

here is a helpful thread
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=150216

also here is a saris on CL in Nvan
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/bop/5548461575.html

May 3, 2016, 2:53 p.m.

I've had the thule, Kuat, swagman xtc and semi 2.0, NSR4, the Softride Hang5 and the Saris Cycle On Pro. Also run a number of roof mounted racks. Some are a bit outdated.. but maybe the info will be helpful anyways.

Here's a quick run down of my opinion.. (my own opinion… others may differ)

Thule t2
Pros
-thule quality
-expandable
-usable for light off road with light bikes
Cons
-Cost
-Overall size sits to high when folded and to far out when down
-sits low on hitch and hits ground easily

Kuat
-Fit and finish are incredibly nice
-alum construction
-attractive design when folded down
-additional option available
-good approach angle - because the nature of the pivot and the compact design the rack did very well going through wash out
-expandable
Cons
-very large when folded up, blocks plate
-because of its nice finish it would be a shame scratch it in the gravel…
-still not cheap

Swagman XTC
Pros
-costs the same as a cheeseburger
-great for the "I use my bike once a year for the sea wall" kind of person
Cons
-a cheese burger would hold the bikes better… don't even bother

Swagman Semi 2.0 (my personal favorite of the bunch for 2 bikes)
Pros
-Price
-Size When folded up the swagman is very small and does not interfere with many vehicles license plates.
-when folded down the rack is also very tight and compact
-good approach angle - because the nature of the pivot and the compact design the rack did very well going through wash out
-usable for light off road w/ lighter bikes
-Swagman as a company - my XTC actually bent (badly) being used in gravel. Swagman sent me the Semi 2.0 free as warranty. Great service.

Cons
-fit and finish leaves a bit to be desired, after about 4 months rust began to form a few spots though it was nothing serious
-weight though its really not all that heavy the rack is still made of steel instead of alum. this is noticeable if you are a smaller stature person
-non expandable (the 4.0 solves this)

NSR4 (current rack)
Pros
-fast and efficient
-strong and usable on rough roads (it sees a lot of horrible roads loaded with 4 DH bikes)
-price, relatively speaking its a decent price for what you get.. yet still expensive for what it really is.
-Local company
Cons
-Some smaller persons may have issues loading their bikes on
-can look a bit odd on cars IMHO
-won't hold all types of bikes (though the NSR4 can hold 2 road bikes if you hang them by the bars)

Softride Hang5
Pros
-Holds 5 bikes
-very cool parallelogram system to lower and raise rack
-usable for rougher off road
Cons
-weighs more than the vehicles its attached to
-sits MUCH to far out the back of the vehicle
-lower wheel brace sits very low, cannot be moved and is right in the "hit and run" zone
-fit and finish are lacking (large amount of casting flashing)
-This thing is massive… it requires its own storage shed when not on the van.. and 2 people to move it

Saris Cycle OnPro (I have one I'll sell cheap with the extension)
Pros
-tire style hold down
-expandable to 4 bikes
Cons
-sits to low, not usable off road, drops bikes on rough terrain
-competes with the softride for the heavy weight title
-some cheap components

May 3, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

oh just to add to add to that, the Hollywood is almost identical to the XTC. It WILL damage the top tube of your frame just does to the nature of how it clamps down.

May 3, 2016, 4:12 p.m.

Have been using my 1Up for six years now. Bulletproof.

May 3, 2016, 5:22 p.m.

Have been using my 1Up for six years now. Bulletproof.

Just got mine, but forgot to order the hitch lock.

Do you lock yours?

May 3, 2016, 5:49 p.m.

Just got mine, but forgot to order the hitch lock.

Do you lock yours?

It didn't exist when I bought it.. it has that funky hex bolt with the thing in the middle.