Hillside/Sandvik Ti Frame

March 17, 2011, 1:34 p.m.

I picked up a new old-stock 20" Hillside/Cove ti frame (made by Sandvik). It was built before the days of discs, so there are only V-brake braze-on's in the rear. I plan on building this up again as a classic HT for beating around. I'm sure there are some of you on here who rode this frame back in the day, or still do.

My question is 2 parted:

1. Is it wise/advisable to have a frame maker or knowledgeable bike guy attempt to weld on disc tabs on the frame?

2. What is the longest travel fork this bike would accommodate before I run the risk of losing my teeth in a freak head tube related incident. (it has a 71 degree HTA)

Also, anyone have an old Judy SL or SID with a 8" or longer steerer that I can throw on there?

Word.

March 17, 2011, 2 p.m.

Everti Bikes on the island might be able to give you some ideas for ti work…

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

March 17, 2011, 2:15 p.m.

I have an old Cove Hummer frame of similar vintage. I'm using one of those A2Z disk brake adapters (modified) on the frame.

(not my frame, just a pic of the adapter found on the net)

I got the frame used without a user history so I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars welding a tab on the frame and having it break soon after. That said, it has been fine for a bunch of years but I don't use if for NS rides, mostly XCish stuff in the shed, road trips and commuting.

As for fork, I'm using an old Talas on mine and ride it in the 4" setting.

March 17, 2011, 4:21 p.m.

Any ti builder should be able to weld disc-tabs and chainstay/seatstay bridge onto your frame without issue.
Common mod for older ti frames.

Please post up when you have it done, with pics. I'm interested in doing up an older frame, too…

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

March 17, 2011, 4:25 p.m.

I have an old Cove Hummer frame of similar vintage. I'm using one of those A2Z disk brake adapters (modified) on the frame.

(not my frame, just a pic of the adapter found on the net)

I found a photo of this before and thought it would be great until you provide any resistance backwards (trackstand, balancing on a log, wheelie drop) would the adaptor not just roll back?

I remember there being something like this out there but can't remember who made them:

Disc Brake Adaptor

March 17, 2011, 4:31 p.m.

I found a photo of this before and thought it would be great until you provide any resistance backwards (trackstand, balancing on a log, wheelie drop) would the adaptor not just roll back?

I remember there being something like this out there but can't remember who made them:

Disc Brake Adaptor

Haven't noticed an issue, there is a brace that goes the other direction too.

Brake Therapy makes/made? one that has a brace that goes to the V-brake post. Not sure if they still make them as there can't be much market for them now. They were expensive too, maybe $200?

The only issue I found is that removing the rear wheel takes longer as you have to loosen the adapter bolts and remove the QR. The adapter is less than $50, welding a mount is hundreds.

Check with LeeL, I think he had a disk mount welded to one of his old Ti frames.

Let me know if you want to see what the A2Z looks like installed on a Ti frame. They are designed for an aluminum HT so it took some modification to fit.

March 17, 2011, 10:13 p.m.

Chris DeKerf put tabs on my HeiHei over 10 years ago, I think he is back doing it again.

http://www.dekerf.com/

March 23, 2011, 8:24 p.m.

I have a 97 Hummer that I had Toby at Toby Cycleworks on Clark and 1st weld a rear brake tab on. Been riding it with an original 5 inch Fox Vanilla for 10 years now.

ride, build, ride some more….