High Roller II - ust?

July 10, 2012, 9:49 a.m.

Ive run numerous non tubeless tires (high rollers, nevegals, minions, butcher sx to name a few), sooner than later I'll put a hole in the tread and sometimes sidewall that is too big for the Stans sealant to plug. I even put a hole through the tread on a pair of Conti tubeless mtn kings. I'm not a hack I swear! haha. I found on some tires it may take a few days for the tire to seal around the bead. Lots of shaking and reinflating but Ive always managed to get a seal, and this was on a dt 5.1d rim with a stans conversion kit.

The one exception is the Butcher Sx I had mounted tubeless on the rear with a Mavic 823. Worked great and never a flat. Just slow rolling for the summer I found.

Is the tire casing on the HR2 thicker than the HR?

I guess actual mileage may vary

I also don't put the hours or abuse on that some people do so maybe I just have better luck.

But chances are if you put a hole in the tread or sidewall large enough that the sealant won't plug it, you'll have also punctured a tube so you're really not in a much different situation are you? Other than it's a bit messier to put a tube in.

July 10, 2012, 11:26 a.m.

Exo casing on HR2 is much beefier than single-ply original HR but not likely as tough as lust/ust version

July 10, 2012, 12:03 p.m.

HR2 Exo tubeless was a massive let down in my opinion. I mounted up a fresh one for my trip to Peru as a rear tire.

Day one I blew it off the rim on a simple two foot rock jump to slight off camber landing.

Two holes in the sidewall while using it with a tube. One of the holes was right down almost in the bead.

In my experience it might have well been a Kenda single ply tire on the durability scale.

It doesn't have the same grid pattern on the sidewall as the DHF EXO.

July 10, 2012, 12:49 p.m.

I have a friend who experienced similar issues running a HR2 Exo tubeless. It seems that the fit is a little too loose.

I can confirm that Maxxis' new tubeless ready casing is awesome though… No burps, no loss of pressure [HTML_REMOVED] very tough sidewalls. Hopefully they can get it on the market soon.

July 10, 2012, 3:08 p.m.

HR2 Exo tubeless was a massive let down in my opinion. I mounted up a fresh one for my trip to Peru as a rear tire.

Day one I blew it off the rim on a simple two foot rock jump to slight off camber landing.

Two holes in the sidewall while using it with a tube. One of the holes was right down almost in the bead.

In my experience it might have well been a Kenda single ply tire on the durability scale.

It doesn't have the same grid pattern on the sidewall as the DHF EXO.

Oh isnt that sweeet.. Much like my let down today when I bring the HR2 (3c) into a shop to use a compressor as it wouldnt seat with the hand pump. It inflates the first time only to hiss out as there's already a hole in a new and unused tire. I bit the bullet for now and threw a tube in as a Whister day is tomorrow and I hate flats.

The sidewalls of the 3c feel comparable to my 909s and the 2.7 Kenda Stick E I have lying around. After Whistler, I do plan to remove the tube and see what the stans can do. But that also depends how this tire holds up after a day in the park. my tire forecast looks shady lol.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 10, 2012, 9:11 p.m.

Well, both Butchers had most of their air today and were good for a ride this evening. A buddy sent me these links today that shed some light on 2Bliss:

http://specialized.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1175/kw/tubeless/session/L3NpZC80cm9iQlpsaw%3D%3D

http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/assets/pdf/MTB-2Bliss-Ready-UST-Tires-Instruction-Guide.pdf

Both pretty informative and it's good to know you can exchange if it won't seal. As for the ride - liking my first impressions. Good grip going up some tech and cornering pretty confidently. Putting these on also coincided with the heat wave so its definitely not a controlled comparison :P but so far a good HR replacement.

July 11, 2012, 5:43 p.m.

running hr2's, 2.4 60a front and back on mavic 823 with some stans. no issues so far this summer, including 3 full days at whistler.

no burps, leaks, bead ripping, just great rolling and traction all around. I'm a big fan of this tire for all kinds of conditions.

www.travelswithtyler.com

July 14, 2012, 4:26 a.m.

Not UST related but I got a HR II EXO a while back and mounted it on a newly built rear wheel and the damn thing is wobbly. I've never had a tire do this, it's as if the bead is wonky. Anyone else ever have this problem with other tires? I've been running Minion EXO's since they came out and not had this problem with them. Doesn't seem to affect grip but it's annoying to look at……

July 14, 2012, 7:43 a.m.

Not UST related but I got a HR II EXO a while back and mounted it on a newly built rear wheel and the damn thing is wobbly. I've never had a tire do this, it's as if the bead is wonky. Anyone else ever have this problem with other tires? I've been running Minion EXO's since they came out and not had this problem with them. Doesn't seem to affect grip but it's annoying to look at……

This happened to be on a pair of original High Rollers in LUST casing. Very annoying

July 14, 2012, 8:51 a.m.

running hr2's, 2.4 60a front and back on mavic 823 with some stans. no issues so far this summer, including 3 full days at whistler.

no burps, leaks, bead ripping, just great rolling and traction all around. I'm a big fan of this tire for all kinds of conditions.

Mounting on properly wide UST rims is key to having any tire hang onto the bead properly IMHO. I'm a heavy dude and have gone away from Stan's for this reason. I had constant burping with the funny rim profile. I'm currently running DeeMaxs, Havocs, Crossmax SXs and 823s all with no problem burping or losing beads.

July 14, 2012, 9:57 a.m.

This happened to be on a pair of original High Rollers in LUST casing. Very annoying

Did you mean "this happened to me"
If so I presume there was no fix for it?

July 15, 2012, 7:28 a.m.

Did you mean "this happened to me"
If so I presume there was no fix for it?

Yeah sorry, autocorrect. "That happened to me"

There wasn't a cure, just dealt with it for a while until it annoyed me so much I got rid of them. Running Specialized tires now and I'm pretty impressed, especially at just over half the price of the way-overpriced Maxxis line of tires

July 15, 2012, 8:49 a.m.

Yes Ive had that problem using Maxxis tires on a dt swiss rim using a stans conversion kit. Id try and try to get the tire not to wobble on the perfectly true rim with no luck. Then I removed the thick stans rim strip. Problem fixed completely. In my case the stans rims strip appeared to not let the bead sit properly by changing the inner wheel diameter making the bead sit too tight. And yes it was very annoying to look at. I thought I was the only one who ever had that problem!

July 15, 2012, 7:34 p.m.

I had the same thing happen on a pair of Contis. Thought the wheel was pooched so I took the tire off and was set up to get truing. Straight as new - problem was all tire. Super annoying.

Update: I got the Butchers to seal up fully now. After doing the rim clean and re-seating everything and then taking for a ride they are good to go. My guess is the sidewalls had to seal up with sealant.

Aug. 27, 2012, 8:10 p.m.

Update 2: I exchanged the set of Spec Butcher Controls for a set of High Roller LUST 2.35's like I had before.
Reason: The Butcher on the front burped real bad on a ride causing me to get hurt pretty bad and I lost all faith in them.

I put the new HR's on last night - no sealant no nothing, sealed right up. Put sealant in after the fact for peace of mind. In talking to the guy at the LBS, he indicated that he's seen issues with certain tires on certain rims ie: DT Swiss rims and Maxxis tires not mating well. In my case, the Easton UST rim works well with the Maxxis UST tire, but not so much with the Spec 2Bliss.

Feel like I'm talking to myself at this point but wanted to put the info out there for others benefit. Now, on to find some info about good knee pads…